What upgrades have been made on the Jewel?

sdmike

I am not sure what upgrades were made recently. You will know by looking at the TVs in the rooms. If they still have the box kind, not much has been done lately. But if they are flat panel, there were upgrades recently. NCL always has sparkling ships with no wear on any carpet.

It is actually a GOOD thing the Jewel has not had a major drydock because I fear they would chop up the Spinnaker lounge like they did on the Dawn. The views from this GIANT lounge are spectacular. The furniture is so funky and modern and a great place to hang out. So please enjoy the ship the way that she is in case they chop her up and remove the public space for more suites.

Here is a video of the lounge. They have all kinds of shows there at night. But during the day, it is great space to hang out. We had our sail away in Miami here once because of the rain.

i know they added Moderno, but have they made any other significant changes? I don't think she has dry docked, so still has the old tv's, carpeting, etc., right?

When on her last month in a mini, the TV was modern flat screen. The ship looked just great to me. At one of the Latitudes parties, the chief engineer or someone spoke about how great the maintenance crews are aboard the Jewel. He said that since the ship was launched, she had only been down one time very briefly for work to be accomplished. All else that keeps her looking great has been done while she cruises constantly. Out on the promenade deck, a long portion of the walls along there have pretty and intricate bright color flower designs flowing along. I thought they must be done with a big stencil somehow. Not! Two guy, down on their knees with an artist's pallet and many tubes of color paint, were mixing colors and with artist brushes touching up and repainting by hand all the flowers and design.

This past November my balcony still had the old TV.

I agree with the other poster though, she is kept up nicely and I LOVE the Spinaker lounge on the Jewel and the Gem. I would not be happy if they took it away. :mad:

Pretty sure our balcony room still had the old style TV when we sailed in May. We sailed on the Jewel in 2006, and didn't notice any changes other than Moderno, but she's still in good shape. I did notice a couple of little spots on the carpeting in our cabin, and once place where the mirror was a bit rusty, but nothing major.

Hi Mike -

The spa was in tip top shape. The gym equiptment is getting old. We were in a 2-room villa and the TV in the living room and master were flat screen. The TV in the 2nd bedroom was a traditional box TV and did not work well. The buffet was a nice surprise espically when compared to the last time when I was on the Star. Overall, I was impressed with the quality and maintenance. We also enjoyed the Spiniker Lounge and hope it will remain a feature.

Last year in the middle of the cruise, they took the love seat out of our suite and replaced it with a large chair type thing. They did leave the tables and chairs which were showing signs of rust and had seen better days. The tv was flat though. Overall, the ship looked to be in pretty good shape in all the public areas! :)

my balcony on deck 10 fwd had a flat screen in May. Concur with overall upkeep of the ship as magnificent. Spinnaker remains awesome and the SPA was in very good shape and a great place to see the scenery as it is up front...

:)Hi,

We love reading these :cool: reports about Jewel.

On her ... in Sept into Oct. in a mid-ship mini.

Roger001 wrote: "When on her last month in a mini, the TV was modern flat screen. The ship looked just great to me. At one of the Latitudes parties, the chief engineer or someone spoke about how great the maintenance crews are aboard the Jewel."

Hey, mind if we ask what the # of your mini was ??

Any more pics ???

Counting the days ... till we ..... get on Jewel to ... :)Seamo:)

:)Hi,

We love reading these :cool: reports about Jewel.

On her ... in Sept into Oct. in a mid-ship mini.

Hey, mind if we ask what the # of your mini was ??

Any more pics ???

Counting the days ... till we ..... get on Jewel to ... :)Seamo:)

We were in 11064. I really didn't take many pics of the Jewel herself. I've taken quantities of pics of the Pearl before and the Jewel is so similar, except the buffet, I just didn't take much. However, some pics of a mini on the Pearl are at the following. The Jewel's mini we were in was practically identical although the TV was slightly different. Are you on the Jewel repo PC cruise in Sept?

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/roganderson60/Pearl%20Mini%20Suite/

I'll be on the Jewel for the first time for the September repo! Just reading these posts is making me way too giddy! :o I'm so happy to hear that She's a great ship!!!

I am not sure what upgrades were made recently. You will know by looking at the TVs in the rooms. If they still have the box kind, not much has been done lately. But if they are flat panel, there were upgrades recently. NCL always has sparkling ships with no wear on any carpet.

It is actually a GOOD thing the Jewel has not had a major drydock because I fear they would chop up the Spinnaker lounge like they did on the Dawn. The views from this GIANT lounge are spectacular. The furniture is so funky and modern and a great place to hang out. So please enjoy the ship the way that she is in case they chop her up and remove the public space for more suites.

Here is a video of the lounge. They have all kinds of shows there at night. But during the day, it is great space to hang out. We had our sail away in Miami here once because of the rain.

I so agree with you about the Spinnaker Lounge on the Jewel:)! It is a lovely place and I would hate it if they put it elsewhere on the ship! I am so disappointed at what they did to the Dawn's and the Star's Spinnaker Lounge.:mad::eek::(Boo!

Thanks everybody for your responses. Sounds like the Jewel has the best of worlds... modern upgrades, and "old school" Spinnaker Lounge perfect for watching Alaska.

Less than 3 weeks left!

Archived