Best dining option on formal night for those that don't dress up

kr9457

We started out using the buffet when tired or we did not want to dress..

We ended up , as did others, discovered that this was by far our favorite wat and place to dine. On a 28 day cruise I think we only spent 4 or 5 nights in the dining room.... the rest ...You guessed it. Wonderful meals creative stuff and without all the starch, breads, deserts.. You could get really excellent meals without the fluff./////////:D

Orator, this wasn't a dress code thread, until that 'suggestion'.

OP -

As for good ideas of dining elsewhere, the buffet dinner has expanded a bit, but I agree on the room service idea. Your veranda is a wonderful place to dine, especially that far north with a late sunset. could be a bit cool, but very nice with any luck.

Since you already hit the Murano, I'd also suggest the Bistro On 5. Lighter dining with crepes, salads, panninis and so on, and good wines and beers, and it is a very nice low key and quiet place to dine. We think its the best on the ship.

And it is open on embarkation day, so if the Buffet area is crowded, you can hit that. Since you are Concierge, you'll get a special line to check in at embarkation which means it could be a bit quicker, so the buffet area may be very nice. It was for us on a popular cruise and we had a nice meal in the Oceanview Cafe/buffet.

enjoy and have fun....and your question is very classy, instead of trying to see if you can just ignore the rules and dine the MDR anyway. well done.

Edit: We ordered room service and were able to get the full MDR menu available on our Eclipse May-June cruise. Hope that adverse report is not a trend!

Den

We started out using the buffet when tired or we did not want to dress..

We ended up , as did others, discovered that this was by far our favorite wat and place to dine. On a 28 day cruise I think we only spent 4 or 5 nights in the dining room.... the rest ...You guessed it. Wonderful meals creative stuff and without all the starch, breads, deserts.. You could get really excellent meals without the fluff./////////:D

What ship was this on?

We thought the same, but on our Med cruise on the Silhouette in May this was not the case. The room service would only serve what was on the room service menu, and absolutely would not serve the MDR menu. We tried on two different days.

This has not been reported before.....has anyone else been unable to get the MDR menu as room service?

We have always been able to get the MDR menu whenever we requested it. We do that often as we love having dinner on our balcony when the weather is nice, especially when cruising through a scenic area.

It has been our understanding that you are supposed to order the MDR menu from your stateroom attendant or butler, not from room service.

Maybe that could be what made the difference in this case.

Or maybe the timing was wrong.

They normally deliver the dinner from the MDR menu to the staterooms during the time from around the end of first seating to the beginning of the late seating. We were told that the reason they like doing it then is that it lets them get the early seating finished up and out of the way, before they get busy with the second seating.

That has always been a good time for us so we never questioned it or had any problem with it.

Is the buffet open on formal night?

On our Infinity cruise it was open and very well patronised after the first MDR sitting by passengers removing or loosening bits of formal attire (ties, shirt collars, belts, high heeled shoes) as they enjoyed an after dinner snack of pizza, ice-cream and sweet treats.

We were on a 12 night Turkey/Greek Island cruise on the Constellation last October and for the first time ever, we never stepped foot in the MDR on the entire cruise! We ate twice at Oceanliners, a couple of times at the Buffet after late shore excursions, and the rest of the meals we ordered room service from the MDR via our cabin steward and enjoyed them in the living room of our FV cabin, dressed quite comfortably in shorts and T Shirts! It made packing for that cruise a breeze! We plan to do more of the same this October as we have booked the same cabin on the same ship for our 12 night Wine Immersion cruise. The formals will not be accompanying us on this trip!

From another thread:

Since you have stated that you have no interest in cruising with Celebrity why do you continue to post advice contrary to Celebrity policy?

Thank you for taking an interest in my posts !!

I believe my suggestion was for the OP, and they may be open minded enough to ask. The worst possible scenario would be for the MaitreD to tell them the truth. Or possibly the best !!!

Your question does not deserve an answer.

Would you be rejected if you come in wearing a nice shirt with a sweater during formal nights. Is Bistro on 5 on the Contellation and is that a free alternative restaurant. Thank you.

Possibly you would be. The dress code is pretty clearly spelled out. Diners have been handed jackets on occasion as they enter the MDR. bistro on 5 is a fine alternative designed for those who aren't interested in dressing up and at $5 per person is a very good value. That covers your whole meal, not just one course, nd they have very nice soups and salads, creeps, and substantial desserts.

Why not just pack a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants for the DR.

Chances of being rejected are next to nil.

This is bad advice from a person who does not cruise Celebrity and only comes on this board to argue about dress code questions. A shirt and pants may cause you to be denied entry into the dining room. You may be allowed in however why be embarrassed....

Swedish weave, that isn't really the answer to the question, is it? The OP is looking for non MDR alternatives. Your suggestion can only lead to trouble on this board :):):)

For the benefit of those who didn't like my suggestion to the OP, I have copied the title of this thread. Obviously overlooked by some.

"Best dining option on formal night for those that don't dress up"

In my opinion, my suggestion is the best option !!!

This is bad advice from a person who does not cruise Celebrity and only comes on this board to argue about dress code questions. A shirt and pants may cause you to be denied entry into the dining room. You may be allowed in however why be embarrassed....

How can I access a person's cruising history on Celebrity ? I have not been able to find anyone's history on their website.

How can I access a person's cruising history on Celebrity ? I have not been able to find anyone's history on their website.

When you are signed in just click on the name, a drop down box appears with a link to the cruising history...

Ah, but I do cruise Celebrity. Maybe not as much as you but I do cruise with them from time to time. I believe it's important to inform people that full formal dress is not a true requirement as you would have them believe. If you like dressing formally then please do so, it's your choice, but don't have people believe it's a hard & fast requirement.

Unless you had access Celebrity's web site to check that answer there isn't any truthful answer to the question. Anyone can make up whatever history they feel appropriate to bolster their ego.

Unless you had access Celebrity's web site to check that answer there isn't any truthful answer to the question. Anyone can make up whatever history they feel appropriate to bolster their ego.

The question arose because of the many comments being made that posters do not cruise Celebrity. A comment was made about myself not cruising Celebrity (which is not correct), so I am curious how the information on a person's cruise history is obtained.

Obviously, the data being accessed is flawed, but WHERE IS IT ?

It's in your own posts. Over 5000 posts on Cruise Critic and never a post on the Celebrity boards until about a week ago. Lots of roll calls and posts for other cruise lines though.

My question was where do you get a person's cruise history to support the negative comments? I do not post my cruise history on CC.

Ah, but I do cruise Celebrity. Maybe not as much as you but I do cruise with them from time to time. I believe it's important to inform people that full formal dress is not a true requirement as you would have them believe. If you like dressing formally then please do so, it's your choice, but don't have people believe it's a hard & fast requirement.

Oh, excuse me, you haven't cruised Celebrity in what is it four years and you are giving out current bad advice on the dining room....I would suggest also that you check my posts and your statement is false. I do not inform people that full formal dress is a true requirement, I also explain the exceptions however do not give my opinion of what the dress should be or what I wear. Your advice is just bad.

I stand behind my statement, how credible is someone who hasn't cruised in four years on Celebrity and only comes on this board to bust chops about the dress code for which he has no personal experience recently.

Archived