Airfare to Rome...HELP!!!!

Paldibb4

Hi,

Me, my husband and my son are booked on the August 13th Liberty Cruise. I have been looking for decent airfare for a while now. Everything is about $1,000. Has anybody had any better luck than me? I want to fly out of Boston on August 12th and fly home on the 25th. Anybody jnow of any good sites to explore? Any help would be aprreciated.

Thanks!

Denise

Since we cant mention any names-- I suggest you go to google and typ ein airfares to Rome. check each individual airlines to see what they are offering too.

Also price the cruise lines air fare--it may be a bit better

That's right in the middle of the most expensive travel period from Boston to Rome. I haven't explored this much but could you travel to London and then take a low cost carrier like Ryan-air?

I think the cruise-line airfare is $799 pp.

I just looked a bit for you too and found what everyone else did.

At this point you need Divine intervention with a huge miracle.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you come across something.

Good luck!!!

Sorry but, I had the same luck. I did book business class on Alitalia several months ago (I'm on the July 20th sailing)...coach was still over $1000 per person. I even tried consolidators and bucket shops with no luck. Let us know how you make out.

i'm flying out of chicago for 8/1/05 liberty--airfare is 1100-1500 pp coach. also remember to price out transfers which i believe are about 50-60pp. you might want to just get your airfare thru carnival then it includes transfers. . .

As mentioned before...you are going peak season. I 've been doing a lot of research (I,m leaving from PHL)....What I found from some experts....if you want to go economy r/t....you want to go to "search" area and type in airfare consolidators...this will bring up sites where you can check prices at a discount or ask your travel agent to purchase tickets from an airfare consolidator. As for using your cruise line to purchase your tickets....forget it...consistently....they offer airfare higher than the "going rate"... I was quoted $1000pp when other sites quoted about $800. Other sites you might investigate are:expedia.com,travelocity.com,priceline.com (at this site you can also see if they would accept your offer),bestfares.com (you MAY need to become a member..if so.. it costs about $65/yr)-this site is offering very good rates and MAY be worth your while even if you have to join. I hope this helps and you have a great trip...I'm taking the same cruise starting 9/30/05.

I guess I was lucky. We are sailing September 6. I used American Airlines miles. We are flying through London and spending 3 days there (using Marriott points.) Then we go to Rome the morning of the cruise. We do have to fly back through London (from New York) but since the airfare is free I guess I can't complain too much.

CTMak

Just in case, keep in mind that Rome is 6 hours ahead of you, when making your flight plans.

Since you're flying out on the 12th and the Liberty sails on the 13th, I'm sure you've already calculated that. But when I think of cruising, my mind goes in 100 different directions. Just a heads up!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! :cool:

My Italian wife and I and occasionally kids fly to Italia every year. This is the most expensive year for airfare in my memory (Fuel/Euro) Also, August is THE MOST expensive month of the year to fly and visit Italy. Get on Orbitz/Travelocity or your favorite and sign up for fare notifications (It's free)and you will know every day when the fares change.

(We are leaving August 31 for Rome and already booked at $1055 each on AA). Good Luck and remember every flight from US to Italy that departs after 11 am eastern time arrives the next calander day.

Even Hotwire is $930 for those dates. You're probably stuck with ~$1000. You might want to consider buyign now, even at that price, or risk it going up further. That is peak trans-Atlantic flying season.

The airfare through Carnival is $1,069 per person. I will try the google thing now.

Thanks!

Denise

Here is a link to your roll call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=99890

Since they are going with you, maybe they have seen some great deals. I scanned through and noticed that there is a cruiser also flying out of Boston.

Good Luck! Looking forward to your review.

• 3 weeks later...

My airfare through Carnival was only $669 and even with a $50 fee for a travel deviation it seem like a better deal than anything I was able to find through the airlines. I also did my post cruise package thru them, finding the room and transfers cheaper than anything I was finding by my own booking info.

My son was wanting to backpack Europe before his military deployment in August. I watched Europe fares for a long time on multiple sites. This week I finally bit the bullet and booked Phoenix to Paris at a $945 military rate.

My daughter is in Rome right now and paid $500 for her ticket. In September the same trip will be about $400. Europe is just a hot ticket this summer.

My airfare through Carnival was only $669 and even with a $50 fee for a travel deviation it seem like a better deal than anything I was able to find through the airlines. I also did my post cruise package thru them, finding the room and transfers cheaper than anything I was finding by my own booking info.

Im also thinking about just going with the $800 Cruise Air and pay the deviation. Im going to wait until the schedule opens up for May 06. Not sure how much better I can do with an open jaw flight.

What post package are you doing?

My DH and I are going on a land tour of Italy in September. We kept hanging on and not booking our air because the fares were outrageous and we thought they would come down. Well, we finally booked mid April when we saw the prices going up more and paid about $875pp to go from Boston with a layover in London on British Airways. Swiss Air had some cheap prices, but every time you click onto the flights, it says no more fares available at that rate. Don't know why they bother putting the rates on the screen!!! Another website you might want to try is www.skyauction.com. Good luck!

Archived