PACIFIC PEARL Refurb.

From today's Cruise Weekly.........

Pacific Pearl gets new lick of life

In time for summer, P&O Cruises is adding an ice-cream parlour, 10 interconnecting cabins and new carpets for the whole ship.

THE superliner will go into dry dock next month for minor refurbishments that are expected to please many families.

First on the agenda is addressing the important issue of ice-cream on Pacific Pearl with the establishment of a New Zealand Natural Ice-cream Parlour………

……….The interconnecting cabins to be installed on Pacific Pearl will be configured as quad-quad, twin-quad or twin-twin bedding to suit different travelling parties.

Sture Myrmell, VP of hotel operations for Carnival Australia, which operates P&O, said he expected the new cabins would appeal to immediate and intergenerational families travelling together, as well as groups of friends.

“The interconnecting cabins make it easier to cruise together, and we expect they’ll be a hot item for bookings on the Christmas cruise and January school holidays cruises around the Pacific Islands,” he said. The new interconnecting cabins on Pacific Pearl go on sale today………..

…………..Other improvements on Pearl include the laying of new carpets throughout the ship and smaller touches in the Marquee, Mix and Orient Bars, mini suites and balcony cabins.

The routine dry dock will take place from 6-21 August, when no cruises are scheduled for the ship. The new cabins and ice-cream parlour are in line with additions made earlier this year to P&O’s Pacific Dawn. Pacific Jewel is also expected to have an ice-cream parlour installed this year.

Nice one! Thanks for posting this Sandy. :) I really love how they've aligned (or are aligning) the three ships in the fleet.

So let's realign the Jewel and relocate the spa to restore views for all.

Thanks Sandielle for posting this!, when we where on the Pacific Jewel in May the captain said that the Pacific Pearl was going in dry dock!

I hope they fix dents in the Pacific Pearl :D

PS: I just wish Auckland & / or New Zealand had a dry dock big enough for a cruise ship! :(

Thanks Sandielle for posting this!, when we where on the Pacific Jewel in May the captain said that the Pacific Pearl was going in dry dock!

I hope they fix dents in the Pacific Pearl :D

PS: I just wish Auckland & / or New Zealand had a dry dock big enough for a cruise ship! :(

Noticed the big dents when taking the tender to Lifou the other day.

Whoppers.

Good they are getting rid of the hideous carpets, looks like someone had thrown up on them.

Good they are getting rid of the hideous carpets, looks like someone had thrown up on them.

No doubt many people have.

I wonder if they are going to replace the Chandelier that fell in the atrium or replace it with something else because its a very noticeable blank spot.

No doubt many people have.

I wonder if they are going to replace the Chandelier that fell in the atrium or replace it with something else because its a very noticeable blank spot.

I am sure it was there on the P223 early July, but must admit, I didn't take much notice.

I am sure it was there on the P223 early July, but must admit, I didn't take much notice.

Hi Joffaboy

The chandelier was fitted during Pacific Pearl's 2010 Singapore conversion from her previous incarnation as Ocean Village (previously she has always had some form of sculpture hanging into the atrium space in this location).

Her first cruise as Pacific Pearl was in December 2010 and the ill fated chandelier fell in late January 2011, so as you can see, it didn't last long, so lucky no one was injured.:eek:

We were on her in June too and definately nothing has been placed in this location, just a smooth slightly domed ceiling, but the colour changing lighting which backlit the chandelier is still there and operational.

Hi Joffaboy

The chandelier was fitted during Pacific Pearl's 2010 Singapore conversion from her previous incarnation as Ocean Village (previously she has always had some form of sculpture hanging into the atrium space in this location).

Her first cruise as Pacific Pearl was in December 2010 and the ill fated chandelier fell in late January 2011, so as you can see, it didn't last long, so lucky no one was injured.:eek:

We were on her in June too and definately nothing has been placed in this location, just a smooth slightly domed ceiling, but the colour changing lighting which backlit the chandelier is still there and operational.

OK Cool - as I said didn't take too much notice. Obviously didn't miss it much :D

Maybe why they could put on the circus trapezzie type acts on in the Atrium on a couple of occasions during the cruise.

It is a nice ship, we were on it in Feb and I preferred the layout better than the jewel. Good to see they are keeping it looking good and also adding a few new things.

I saw it in Sydney yesterday outside my office window docked at the wharf...all day...it was a very, very long Friday!

OK Cool - as I said didn't take too much notice. Obviously didn't miss it much :D

Maybe why they could put on the circus trapezzie type acts on in the Atrium on a couple of occasions during the cruise.

Wow, is it 18 months since that fell? Doesn't seem that long.

On this cruise just off, the acrobat show was in the atrium. The cold weather outside is less appealing for both performers and passengers.

Wow, is it 18 months since that fell? Doesn't seem that long.

On this cruise just off, the acrobat show was in the atrium. The cold weather outside is less appealing for both performers and passengers.

Yes, true. The only outside circus routine was once we reached Vanatau and it was warmish.

About the only time I saw a large crowd outside and enjoying themselves with the dance party afterwards on deck.

Cold weather and the fact it was a school hols/family cruise meant not much action outside most nights.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a busy time at the Garden Island dry dock at present with Passenger ship maintenance happening along with the regular Navy work.

The Spirit of Tasmania II was in dry dock there from the 23rd July and was only released from there on the same day as the Pearl was going in.

The Spirit of Tasmania II ( Red Hull Ship in Photo ) will still be along side Garden Island till Wednesday 8th August.

pp05082012.jpg

Noticed the big dents when taking the tender to Lifou the other day.

Whoppers.

Where are all the dents Joffaboy?

Are you talking about that really long one on the port side bow of the ship? That's the biggest one I know of

I did notice some dents at the stern port side too ... but that was last year.

From today's Cruise Weekly

Pearl emerges from her shell

PACIFIC Pearl has emerged this week with ten new pairs of interconnecting cabins after a short drydock stay in Sydney this month.

The new cabins will be configured as quad-quad, twin-quad or twin-twin bedding to suit the dynamics of different travelling parties.

The drydock also saw the installation of a New Zealand Natural Ice Cream Parlour onboard, as well as the laying of new carpets throughout the ship.

Pearl’s Marquee, Mix and Orient Bars also underwent minor refurbishments as did the ship’s mini suites and balcony cabins.

Pearl’s first post-drydock voyage will set sail tomorrow.

Archived