NYC hotel pre New England cruise

FLUFFLULA

My DH and I booked today our first New England/Canada cruise from NYC October 13 on the Caribbean Princess. Never been to NYC, so we need help finding the best, safest and most economical hotel near the port (if possible). Thanks for any advice/suggestions! :)

That is peak season in NY. What is your budget? Are you flying or driving? If you're flying, what airport are you going in to? What are your sightseeing objectives? Would you prepay a hotel on Hotwire?

I'm not seeing much under $200 and that is for a downtown hotel. Princess sails from Brooklyn, so a Brooklyn hotel might be an option but a downtown hotel is also a good choice. Please answer all the questions so we can give you the best advice.

Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Brand new and inexpensive with free shuttle to subways and the pier. Good reviews. Free wifi and breakfast. We have reservation for our pre-cruise night in September.

The Comfort Inn seems to fit the bill. I read the reviews and it sounds very similar to Sleep Inn near Lutheran Hospital. I would stay there, but...... The OP has never been to NY and might find this area off putting if not prepared for it. I've lived in Brooklyn and know that a warehousing area in a blue collar neighborhood is not going to look good, but folks live there safely.

Manhattan/Brooklyn are not as small as one might think. You're not going to stroll over to Rockerfeller Center/the Empire State Bldg Times Sq/etc from the Brooklyn Comfort Inn, but I think it would be a good choice and just take the subway to Manhattan to see/do what you want to do there. Morning of the cruise......it's a quick ride over to the ship. IF you did choose a Manhattan hotel, it would be pricier and as I said, Manhattan is not as small as one might think and you'd still not be able to walk to everywhere you would want to go to.

Flying--probably to LGA. We'd prefer $200 or so per night, but safe is important. We'll arrive the day before or maybe two days before, but we have no "musts" for sightseeing.

Is the new Comfort Inn safe? Wasn't sure from the posts.

Thanks for the good suggestions!:)

If your sailing from Brooklyn you might consider just staying there, and maybe take the subway into Manhatten. It would be nice to stay in Manhatten near Time Square, but your dates may be the busiest time of the year. I doubt that you can get anything decent for less than $250/night near Time Square. If staying in Brooklyn, be sure to stay in a safe area.

I really don't think you will perceive the Comfort Inn as being safe, so it doesn't matter that it is highly likely to be a safe area. If you don't feel that way, then it doesn't matter what the reality is.

There are some hotels in the $200 range in downtown Manhattan on Hotwire. I think you would be much happier there. It's a quick cab ride to the port, but you can wander around lower Manhattan to see the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center or take an easy subway ride to midtown. In order to take advantage of any Hotwire deals, you have to firm up your dates and be prepared to make a commitment and prepay a hotel.

The hotel I am seeing right now is likely to be the Holiday Inn Wall St.

Please post back when you are ready to make a decision.

Flying--probably to LGA. We'd prefer $200 or so per night, but safe is important. We'll arrive the day before or maybe two days before, but we have no "musts" for sightseeing.

Is the new Comfort Inn safe? Wasn't sure from the posts.

Thanks for the good suggestions!:)

Using the trick I detail in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34238037&postcount=6, you can get the Algonquin Hotel - where I'm currently staying - for $236.58; while a little over your budget, understand that they are charging $599 for that night, so you're getting it at a considerable discount. And it's 2 blocks to Times Square, so you really can't get much more central in Manhattan. And I can tell you, I haven't felt the least bit unsafe in this area, so that isn't an issue here.

• 2 weeks later...
Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Brand new and inexpensive with free shuttle to subways and the pier. Good reviews. Free wifi and breakfast. We have reservation for our pre-cruise night in September.

Thanks Nanabun for this great recommendation. After looking at the area on and the hotel, we booked it. Being close to the port is a big plus in addition to it being new, modern and clean. :)

Thanks Nanabun for this great recommendation. After looking at the area on and the hotel, we booked it. Being close to the port is a big plus in addition to it being new, modern and clean. :)

The subway station on Carroll St is in a very nice area with lots of shops & restaurants around both on Smith Street and Court Street.

Marge

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on how much a cab is from JFK to this hotel? Considering this hotel for October 30/31 for Caribbean Princess cruise.

Thanks.

Archived