Disembarking NCL Epic at Barcelona

jimmybog

Just trying to plan ahead for a NCL Epic Western med cruise from/to Barcelona for Sept. I would need to fly back from Barcelona to Heathrow on a BA flight but am trying to establish whether to choose the 10:15am or 13:05pm flight from Barcelona.

I know that the ship is due to arrive in port at 5am. But how would I arrange so that we can leave the ship at around 07:45am so we have time to get to the airport (for the 10:15am flight)?

Do you have the option of just walking off with your luggage when you want or do we need to hand over the luggage the night before and wait for a call in the morning? The flights would be booked separately to the cruise so I will not be on a fly/cruise package.

Alternatively if we had to catch the later flight, what is the latest time that you can stay in your room and on board the ship for? Is there like a certain time when all passengers will be offloaded from the ship?

And last question, will there be somewhere to have breakfast at around 6 to 6:30am before we depart the ship?

Thx

All of this comes down to how well you deal with stress.

If you do well then you could book the 10:30 AM flight knowing you have to be in the first group off the ship and that you'll want to check in two hours before the flight. If all goes well you'll make it. If there was a delay with ship arrival or disembarkation that might not be the case.

If you don't deal with stress very well then book the later flight.

I would also check with NCL to see what the cruise line says as to the earliest flights they recommend.

Keith

We woke up at 5 am. Ate at 6 am (on the ship). Left the ship at 7 am. Was at the airport by 7:45 am. Long lines at Check in, still at the gate by 9:15 am. Our flight was at 11:20 am.

If you have any VAT, make sure you do it prior to passing security. We were told by our ticket agent that it was right past the passport check. It was, but had to be stamped downstairs first. You cannot go back, missed out on our refund.

Thanks everyone for your replies, very helpful. If we go for the later flight, do you know how long we can stay on the ship for? Does everyone get kicked off by a certain time like 9am or something?

I have flown out of BCN many, many times. Take the later flight. Don't even think about the 10:30am one. Trust me, even if you get to BCN at 8:30am, you will be going through lines and security at BCN for at least 2 hours - if not more. Even if you are flying First Class - it is not a fast airport to get through. In fact, BCN is one airport where having at least 3 hours before the flight (if not more) is in your best interest, especially on a day where more than one cruise ship may be debarking passengers all headed for the airport. Don't worry about getting off the ship later - usually you get disembarked by 9am, but even so, there is plenty to do at BCN once you clear security for your flight.

Archived