Does My Room Attendant and Others....

robcassell

since that's their primary revenue source, they'd have to be pretty out-of-it to not know!

if your concern is their thinking they somehow are getting stiffed by you, i wouldn't worry. unless the cruise line is changing from traditional tipping to inclusive tipping on your particular sailing, they know how things work. even in that eventuality they would have been made well-aware of the change.

as i say, no worries...

You really don't need to be concerned if you are thinking they may slack off, let me explain: if the tips are prepaid they can still be removed from the account also you can add to them or for that matter just hand them an extra 20 bucks or whatever at the end of the cruise. These folks work very hard anf try to make us as comfortable as possible, if we pretip or don't. At least this is my opinion.

If service is not as good as what you think it should be--please jsut dont accept it but bring it to someones attention. The cabin steward should make up your cabin twice a day. (give you ice twice daily) fresh towels are replaced. If this is not happening - go to the pursers desk.

If you need something done--leave him./her a note. (post-its come in handy for this)

I have read some people take their tips off becuase the steward didnt talk to them all week- I find this sad as they are there to do a job and if the job is being done.... they dont need to talk to me.

serene56 pretty well covered it. Now, I may be mistaken but I don't think that you need to tip anything extra just because you are booked ina suite. That is if your steward does what is expected of them. If you ask for things above and beyond the usual then it would be appropriate to tip extra. It isn't the cabin you have booked but what you require. Of course some lines have butlers for "suite people" and that is of course an extra person to tip.

Our last 2 cruises, tips were added to our shipboard account. I had no complaints to having it done this way as all the staff get a share.

We eat at different restaurants and this way I don't have to worry about tracking down certain crew members.

I very seldom saw my room steward but the cabin was always clean and my chocolate was always waiting for me! ;)

I do leave a little extra for the cabin steward if we ask for special treatment or extra supplies.

let me explain: if the tips are prepaid they can still be removed from the account

Not on Carnival. If you "pre-paid" your tips when you paid for the cruise, they cannot be removed. However, if you did not pre-pay, then the automatic tips will be in place, and those can be either removed or adjusted up or down.:)

I have read some people take their tips off becuase the steward didnt talk to them all week- I find this sad as they are there to do a job and if the job is being done.... they dont need to talk to me.

I have not taken tips away from room stewards who only did their jobs but they sure did not get anything extra out of me. I give a nice tip when the stewards make and effort to meet you and be around if you need anything at all. On Carnival we cruised for 4 days and never saw the guy. On Celebrity, he was up and down the hall way night and day. Friendly and helpful. He got a nice extra tip.

In recent years carnival cabin stewards get more and more cabins to clean. Stewards then have to find helpers from the ships crews from elsewhere to help them out. (I found this on the Voyager also)

On our Miracle cruise-- our cabin stewart had 26 cabins to clean twice a day.

Now if he spent 5 minutes a day speaking to each cabin thats two hours a day. I mean if we passed him in the hall-- he would say good morning--or good evening and ask how our cruise was but he never saought me out to have a meet and greet.

He did make himsl;ef known to us the first day only because we have to sign a paper that he explained to us the way things work.

I mean if we passed him in the hall-- he would say good morning--or good evening and ask how our cruise was but he never saought me out to have a meet and greet.

He did make himsl;ef known to us the first day only because we have to sign a paper that he explained to us the way things work.

I agree, 26 rooms a day is a lot of work but we never even got a hello or knew what our guy looked like after 4 days.

I dont know if Carnival is having a hard time finding people to work or whats up with that-- I think 26 cabins is entirely too busy--im sure the tipping money is nice but still.

Archived