getting from Southampton to the continent

I'm considering the one-night Rotterdam to Southampton cruise on NCL's new Breakaway next April. We live a bit south of Brussels, BE, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get ourselves home from Southampton. We'd be trying to do it at minimal time and cost...going up to Rotterdam on Sunday morning, April 28, and home by Monday night. Any great ideas? It seems silly to have to go up to London, but that would probably be easy logistically. We could get the Eurostar from Ashford to Lille, but I'm not sure how challenging it would be to get from Southampton to Ashford. Or there are numerous ferry companies from various ports in England to various ports in France. But again, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get around southern England to get to a ferry port (we've always taken our own car by eurotunnel or ferry). Any Channel-crossing experts out there with suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Aquilegia's suggestion is the best for you. According to kayak, Eastern are currently £109 per person Southampton - Brussels. Add on about £15 for a cab to Southampton airport. Thats for an 1115 flight arriving Brussels 1330. You could get the train from Southampton to Waterloo and then cross London to get St Pancras (easier than getting to Ebbsfleet or Ashford I think) , then train to Lille. Current cheapest fare Southampton to Ashford is £53 each...add on the Eurostar and I think the flight will be cheapest.

Simon

Southampton to Ashford International via Brighton £14.90 pp one way but it is slow. The 8.33 train from Southampton will get you to Ashford after 12 noon with same journey one hour later (on weekdays). I don't think all Eurostar trains stop at Ashford. It really depends on the most important criteria for you - speed or budget.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

If we're scheduled to dock in Southampton at 9:00, could we make an 11:15 flight?

2irisheyes, where can I find that train schedule and fare? What I found was more like the £53 mentioned by sddsddean.

Thanks again! Still trying to figure out if we can do it.

Try nationalrail.co.uk and when you enter your journey details - Southampton to Ashford International - enter Brighton in the via/avoid drop-down box. You will need to change trains at Brighton but the website states that the whole station has step-free access. Good luck.

Check http://www.flybe.com they have direct flights (1 or 2 a day) Southhampton to Amsterdam. Also Southhampton-Brussels would be a good choice.

From both Amsterdam and Brussels there are direct trains to Rotterdam.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

If we're scheduled to dock in Southampton at 9:00, could we make an 11:15 flight?

2irisheyes, where can I find that train schedule and fare? What I found was more like the £53 mentioned by sddsddean.

Thanks again! Still trying to figure out if we can do it.

Dockings at Southampton are normally around 5am to 6am, with general disembarkation from 7.30am. You can keep an eye on http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

but its way too early right now.

The airport is a 20 minute taxi ride, about £20, and european checkins normally close abou 45 mins before flight time. Its a small one-terminal airport, with no logjams at security etc.

I don't see a problem with catching an 11.15 flight.

Eastern's not an airline I know, but I'd strongly suggest you do a dummy booking up to but not including personal details/credit card number, to see how taxes, booking fees, luggage etc affect the price.

And check the prices for a few random up-coming dates to see how supply&demand affect the prices.

British Rail planner site tends to quote only the faster options, & I reckon the advice from Ireland is pretty sound.

Only a very very few Eurostars stop at Ashford each day, so do carefully check those schedules if considering the train.

JB :)

Archived