Cruising on Oceania makes me want to scream ...

Dr. Cocktail

Maybe we can get the new owner to hang his new purchase on the Riviera

Funny you should say that .... I actually sailed on Norwegian Dawn four years ago (yes, I know, I know but nothing else was available last minute for Canada/New England and the Tony Orlando and Dawn was booked ... ).

Their French a la carte restaurant featured the art collection of Star Cruises (NCL's Parent Company) CEO Tan Sri Lim Kok with original works by Monet, Van Gogh, Matisse and Renoir!!! I'm certain that there were/are tax implications for displaying the works onboard.

The works were readily accessible but behind amazingly thick glass (go figure) and individual security cameras. It was a real (almost surreal) treat having dinner among these amazing pieces of art.

There is a restaurant in St Paul de Vance in the south of France where very famous artists used to dine. Many were a little down on their luck, financially, so the owner let them leave pieces of their artwork as payment for their meals. Quite a collection still on display.

Funny you should say that .... I actually sailed on Norwegian Dawn four years ago (yes, I know, I know but nothing else was available last minute for Canada/New England and the Tony Orlando and Dawn was booked ... ).

Their French a la carte restaurant featured the art collection of Star Cruises (NCL's Parent Company) CEO Tan Sri Lim Kok with original works by Monet, Van Gogh, Matisse and Renoir!!! I'm certain that there were/are tax implications for displaying the works onboard.

The works were readily accessible but behind amazingly thick glass (go figure) and individual security cameras. It was a real (almost surreal) treat having dinner among these amazing pieces of art.

Small world -- I believe Star and Apollo are now partners in the ownership of NCL.

I was confused for a bit until I read to the end as we saw The Scream in the gallery in Norway on our recent cruise. I did not realize there was more than one version. Lesson in art history for the day.

Mo

There are many versions and the one just sold was a pastel and not an oil like the one you saw.

Small world -- I believe Star and Apollo are now partners in the ownership of NCL.

From the most recent information I found, Star Cruises Ltd. is the former name of Genting Hong Kong Ltd., which is a 50% owner with Apollo.

welcome.gif

"In February 2000, Norwegian was acquired by Genting Hong Kong Limited formerly Star Cruises Ltd (SES: STRC), a Hong Kong stock exchange listed company, and part of Malaysia's Genting Group. Following the acquisition of Norwegian, Star Cruises became the third largest cruise line in the world. While under 100 percent ownership by Star, the company embarked on an expansion program that involved new ships, on-board product enhancements and innovative itineraries.

In August 2007, private equity group, Apollo Management, LP, agreed to make a $1 billion cash equity investment in Norwegian. Under the terms of the investment which closed on January 7, 2008, Apollo became a 50 percent owner of Norwegian and has named a majority of the company’s board with certain consent rights retained by Genting. Genting retains all of its existing stock in Norwegian and, like Apollo, is a 50 percent owner of the recapitalized company."

The above is from NCL's website.

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Corporate_Overview_02172012.pdf

Archived