Steakhouse and an almost 2yo

mandakate42

This will cause a few flames tossed in my direction, but it's my opinion nonetheless:

I often wonder why anyone would want to do a vacation like a cruise or all-inclusive with a toddler. The hassle alone in getting to the destination if you're flying is insane. I know I certainly would not want to do it, nor do I wish to experience listening to a toddler crying on a 3+ hour long flight. I've had to deal with little ones kicking the back of my chair one too many times, and I have little patience for it.

Be that as it may, I'm sure by now people would know what my reaction to seeing a 2-year old in the steakhouse. I wouldn't walk out and cancel the reservation, but I would ask the Maitre'D when they're leaving and to inform me when they're gone so I can come back to a peaceful meal. With very rare exception, there is no such thing as a quiet 2-hour dining experience with a child under the age of two. The only way they can be quiet that long is when they're asleep.

You won't get any flames from me.

I was a "stay at home mom"....so traveling with my son was like "bringing my job with me". Except...it was a lot more work.

I guess it would be different for working mothers....because being with the child 24/7 is a novelty.

We brought Grandma along on our first cruise to help watch the kids. And the kids were 10 and 13! She helped them get ready for dinner and took the youngest to camp carnival during our early dinner so DH & I could finish dinner in peace. It was a trade off - we paid for her cruise and she helped with the kids.

I know not everyone has that option. But I recommend it if you do. (The only problem is that Grandma still insists on coming on the cruises with us and the kids are now 20 and 17! We've set up an expectation!)

Maggie

I told DD just the other day that when she has kids, I expect her to take me on cruises and I'll provide babysitting so she and her spouse can do things like eat in the steakhouse. She's only 17 so (hopefully) that's years away, but I figured I'd start setting the expectation now. :D

I do not recall it being Adults only. Can you clarify that for me? I know some children who behave better than adults....

some people on these boards:rolleyes: how do kids learn how to act in social situations if they are not placed in them? so the magic age is 7? what a joke.

Apacked, I didn't indicate that Steakhouse is adult only from a policy standpoint, merely that it is my humble opinion that it is a long, formal dining experience that most moms of 2 year olds MAY not enjoy as much if they have their little darling with them.

I also didn't imply that there was a "magic age" just my personal opinion on a age range after which most well-parented children would behave nicely and potentially enjoy a long dinner service with multiple courses of somewhat sophisticated food.

As for teaching children how to act in social situations, I whole-heartedly agree that cruising can offer a wonderful environment for teaching our children their manners, to explore different cuisines and how to enjoy conversation for a lovely dinner. However, I think 2 is a little young to impart that sort of wisdom, but 5 or 6 is a more teachable age on these points...but that's just my opinion. You can help teach them these things very well in the Main Dining Room or other restaurants rather than in the one pay-a-$35-fee restaurant on a cruise ship.

We have traveled with our 3 sons their entire lives from age 3 weeks on -- doing everything from upscale cruising the Mediterranean, to traveling to some of the most beautiful hi-end resorts elsewhere in Europe, to Aspen, Vail, Yellowstone, Nantucket, NYC, the Caribbean, to Olympic Games and more kid friendly places like Disney World. We have much experience with what worked well and what we would've done differently.

I was only offering my opinion since the OP asked....last I checked, that's what these boards are allllll about...getting people's personal opinion. If you don't agree with me, no need to get nasty.

We brought Grandma along on our first cruise to help watch the kids. And the kids were 10 and 13! She helped them get ready for dinner and took the youngest to camp carnival during our early dinner so DH & I could finish dinner in peace. It was a trade off - we paid for her cruise and she helped with the kids.

I know not everyone has that option. But I recommend it if you do. (The only problem is that Grandma still insists on coming on the cruises with us and the kids are now 20 and 17! We've set up an expectation!)

Maggie

actually my mom and dad are getting off the ship the day were getting on and my in laws are going to be on a cruise the same time as us but on a rccl ship... they were gonna go with us but they got a free cruise from his boss so.... no luck there

I often wonder why anyone would want to do a vacation like a cruise or all-inclusive with a toddler. The hassle alone in getting to the destination if you're flying is insane. I know I certainly would not want to do it, nor do I wish to experience listening to a toddler crying on a 3+ hour long flight. I've had to deal with little ones kicking the back of my chair one too many times, and I have little patience for it.

In my opinion, I don't know how anyone does a vacation other than a cruise with a toddler. A road-trip, condo rental or amusement park are the least enjoyable or relaxing vacations with little kids to me. On a cruise I get to just enjoy my children while someone else does the cooking and cleaning. I completely agree that some kids are not good travelers and those families should choose vacations that will not bother someone else's. No one is more annoyed than me when a kid is allowed to mis-behave in the dining room or on a plane, because then people think that kids should be banned. My girls are not angels, but with enough planning of snacks and amusements and requiring excellent behavior, they've been able to fly and cruise without bothering others since they were little. In my experience, part of successful travel with toddlers is having reasonable expectations of them. Mine wouldn't be able to handle the steak house at that age, but I can't speak for others.

Best,

Mia

In my opinion' date=' I don't know how anyone does a vacation other than a cruise with a toddler. A road-trip, condo rental or amusement park are the least enjoyable or relaxing vacations with little kids to me. On a cruise I get to just enjoy my children while someone else does the cooking and cleaning. I completely agree that some kids are not good travelers and those families should choose vacations that will not bother someone else's. No one is more annoyed than me when a kid is allowed to mis-behave in the dining room or on a plane, because then people think that kids should be banned. My girls are not angels, but with enough planning of snacks and amusements and requiring excellent behavior, they've been able to fly and cruise without bothering others since they were little. In my experience, part of successful travel with toddlers is having reasonable expectations of them. Mine wouldn't be able to handle the steak house at that age, but I can't speak for others.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Well, said, Mia. You hit upon a key point and that's planning on the part of the parent(s). I have always traveled with well-thought-out plans to keep DD entertained and like your kids, she's been a great traveler. The OP suggested plans for entertaining her DD should they go to the steakhouse and was basically crucified for it. Sigh.

Well, said, Mia. You hit upon a key point and that's planning on the part of the parent(s). I have always traveled with well-thought-out plans to keep DD entertained and like your kids, she's been a great traveler. The OP suggested plans for entertaining her DD should they go to the steakhouse and was basically crucified for it. Sigh.

Agree...she is only one who knows her child and I almost feel bad I am in the wait until older camp...almost...and that is because i am an Auntie instead of a mom too I suspect..Sarah

OP do what you want..you were lovely to ask..and I bet you are quite happy to know...CC is a very small portion of the overall cruisers in the world and most will not have seen this discussion..or be form CC in your dining and traveling experiences...Godspeed..Sarah

I am one of those parents who gets stressed about what others think when my kids do not behave in public. A child of under about 3 or 4 will behave unpredictably, (and loudly!), whenever they want to and aged under 2, it is impossible to reason with them, or expect them to co-operate with our wishes. This is the reason why we did not inflict our kids on other airline passengers until they were 4 and 6, as the idea of having to keep them quiet and in their seats or our laps for hours, whilst other people tutted or shook their heads just did not appeal as a way of spending a relaxing holiday. It also seemed to me to be a waste of our money having a holiday which I would find stressful. Maybe this says more about me than my kids, who are lovely, but who were typical unpredictable toddlers. We did take them on holiday, but went in the car so that we could stop if they needed a break, and if there were any meltdowns, they only affected us. We went to farm parks, zoos, water parks, the coast and so on, and I have very precious memories of some lovely holidays when our kids were very small. It would not have been fair on anyone - the kids, us, or other people to have expected them to co-operate with our wishes for an extended dining experience at such a young age. We did try once on a weekend break for my birthday when the eldest was 18 months, and spent the evening taking turns walking up and down a corridor outside the restaurant, and eating cold (expensive) food, as she kept trying to clamber out of the highchair, and screamed whenever we stopped her! Never Again :eek:

actually my mom and dad are getting off the ship the day were getting on and my in laws are going to be on a cruise the same time as us but on a rccl ship... they were gonna go with us but they got a free cruise from his boss so.... no luck there

that was so they didn't get stuck babysitting.

The real sigh is that planning isn't everything and not all prior planning works. Consider yourself lucky your kid was a good travler and all your plans worked perfectly.

The op also said she hoped the ipad and coloring books would work and wondered if she could be tucked away in the steakhouse so not to disturb other diners.

Does not sound like great confidence that any measure of prior planning will absolutely work.

I did not leave my child while I went on vacation, I stayed home with her. Toddlers do not need to go on vacation.

How sad. Some of my happiest memories are traveling with mom and dad at that early age, reinforced with great ops pictures.

This will cause a few flames tossed in my direction, but it's my opinion nonetheless:

I often wonder why anyone would want to do a vacation like a cruise or all-inclusive with a toddler. The hassle alone in getting to the destination if you're flying is insane.

I have no kids, unless you include the furry ones. So no problems there.

Then you certainly don't know how the heart aches to support your "not knowing" why people wouldn't "just leave the kids home".

I certainly couldn't express that feeling when I was childless.

BTW, we've been flying with DD to Europe since she was 7 months old, stress free. Parenting really isn't a chore unless you make it one. And the reward for good parenting is fruitful.

Then you certainly don't know how the heart aches to support your "not knowing" why people wouldn't "just leave the kids home".

Mr. Pete...you need to move on...lol...you have soooooo many posts on this thread. Are you related to the OP????? Lol. :o (by the way, enjoyed many of your replies)

Mr. Pete...you need to move on...lol...you have soooooo many posts on this thread. Are you related to the OP????? Lol. :o (by the way, enjoyed many of your replies)

LOL. No, don't know the OP (but would get to know her to watch the kid if she'd take me).

My only crime is I'm very passionate about this topic, and I'm on vacation. :)

And I hate limitations on activities just because she's "a kid". Or worse, bashed for it.

But if you really want to see me going, someone should start a thread stating they think a kid should get up for them at a public bar.

Be that as it may, I'm sure by now people would know what my reaction to seeing a 2-year old in the steakhouse. I wouldn't walk out and cancel the reservation, but I would ask the Maitre'D when they're leaving and to inform me when they're gone so I can come back to a peaceful meal. With very rare exception, there is no such thing as a quiet 2-hour dining experience with a child under the age of two. The only way they can be quiet that long is when they're asleep.

We were on the EOS a few years back and noticed early on that there was a young couple with a baby and a 4 or 5 year old. I remember remarking early in the cruise "there goes a brave couple". We saw them several times through the week and what really sticks out is that on the last night when they were doing the parade down the Promenade I spotted them again. The Dad was holding the baby and had that "dear in the headlight" look - completely wasted and staring blankly in to outer space. Mom was busy running after the 5 year old and looked like she had been dragged through a knothole. Yep, they had a great time I bet.

LOL. No, don't know the OP (but would get to know her to watch the kid if she'd take me).

My only crime is I'm very passionate about this topic, and I'm on vacation. :)

And I hate limitations on activities just because she's "a kid". Or worse, bashed for it.

But if you really want to see me going, someone should start a thread stating they think a kid should get up for them at a public bar.

So a child should be able to go anywhere with no limitations whatsoever? The problem with that attitude is that most people will NOT use common sense with their own children. They'll suffer through a dinner at the steakhouse with a kid screaming his head off and make everyone else suffer with them. Most people are not like you or me and will get up and leave.

Do you take your children out for meals to higher end resturants in your home town where meals last two plus hours? If you do, you probably already know how the experience will be for you, your kids, other patrons and could make a decision based on that. Your choice, of course, but if you don't I'd say skip it here. I think we first tried something like this when DS was seven. DS was fine -- not disruptive, but bored (frequently asked when dinner would be over and when could we go) and for us happy kids make happy parents. We found/find family friendly dining a much better choice for the three of us. My nephew who was a foodie even at a young age and a much more experiemntal eater (as a teen, at one point, toyed with the idea of being a chef) was a true joy to take to a place like this even as a young elementary age child. // We just never considered trying anything like this with a young child under seven. But I know some families do.

lol too -- Not everyone is a higher end dining person. DS now 16, and my dad 75 who both absolutely love cruising and meals in the main dining room, don't enjoy this kind of experience. They just don't like sitting around that long when it's just a food experience and want to get on with things. We occasionally drag DS to something like this, but not very often. We're more likely to do this kind of dining on our own.

FYI, on our up coming cruise we aren't planning to do the steakhouse. If we were going to go, just DH and I would. But then we aren't big steak people, really just do higher end dining a few times a year, and would pick a place with a different kind of food specialty for this typically.

BTW, we've been flying with DD to Europe since she was 7 months old, stress free. Parenting really isn't a chore unless you make it one. And the reward for good parenting is fruitful.

I can express my opinion, regardless. My parents took their "adult vacations" when I was at my grandmother's for the summer. Those are summers I cherish and there was no guilt by my parents. Granted, we are talking a far different time, too. Around 40 or so years ago.

Anyway, the main problem is there are is a lot less "good parenting" going on than there used to be. It used to be a rarity with children acting up in public and parents ignoring it, now it's the norm. (And that is NOT directed at anyone in this thread or on this site.)

You don't have to be joined at the hip 24/7 to be a good parent. What in the world are some of you going to do when your child goes to college/moves away? Case in point, the girl who lives next door to my daughter at school has to go home every weekend because her mother has such separation anxiety she can't function and makes her daughter feel so guilty. That's not healthy for anybody.

Young children being allowed in the steakhouse is one of the main reasons we don't pay $70 to go there. :(

Loved the "adults only" Palo on Disney. :)

I have two grown children and 7 grands (from 3 years up to 19) so I'm not a "child hater" but it just seems that more and more parents these days are taking their infants and toddlers to places that really aren't "friendly" towards that age group. It's extremely annoying when they cry and scream and parents just sit there and do nothing to stop it. :( And it's more the norm these days to see that happen. Rarely see a parent actually get up and take the child out.

We didn't take our children to restaurants (or weddings, funerals, movie theaters, etc.) until they were old enough understand they needed to be quiet in those places.

How about this perspective. When you were dating, you sit together, talk nicely to each other, maybe celebrating a personal event, maybe even being proposed to and then whammo...a kid breaks the ambiance! Kind of takes the "moment" away.

Now, you focus is not the meal and your spouse, it's constant glances to the tot wondering if you can keep him quiet. Some of that nice dinner is LOST.

I just don't get the "I can bring my kid anywhere" syndrome. Think about others who have absolutely no emotional attachment to YOUR child.

I totally agree with this statement... hubby and I will be enjoying the steakhouse on our first night as its his b-day... a 2yr old child sitting beside us would ruin the mood... especially since we are leaving our three children home to have much needed adult time

Even if we had someone to leave her at home with, I wouldn't. In march of last year we went on a quick 4 day with DS and my mom kept her for me. Well by the last day I was missing her so much that I just wasnt enjoying myself. Not to mention the outrageous phone bill I had calling to check on her. I couldn't imagine leaving her for a whole 7.

In my opinion' date=' I don't know how anyone does a vacation other than a cruise with a toddler. A road-trip, condo rental or amusement park are the least enjoyable or relaxing vacations with little kids to me. On a cruise I get to just enjoy my children while someone else does the cooking and cleaning. I completely agree that some kids are not good travelers and those families should choose vacations that will not bother someone else's. No one is more annoyed than me when a kid is allowed to mis-behave in the dining room or on a plane, because then people think that kids should be banned. My girls are not angels, but with enough planning of snacks and amusements and requiring excellent behavior, they've been able to fly and cruise without bothering others since they were little. In my experience, part of successful travel with toddlers is having reasonable expectations of them. Mine wouldn't be able to handle the steak house at that age, but I can't speak for others.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Well said Mia.

With regard to only cruising being good vacations...for us, when the kids were very little, (4 of them, 5 years apart from oldest to youngest :eek:) we did alot of Disney World and Hershey Park, and Busch Gardens, and Sesame Place, and then we bough a vacation home at the Jersey shore...so we were there all the time.

My kids didn't cruise for the first time until they were teenagers...but all the other vacations were just as fun for everybody! Didn't matter where we were...I never cooked, lol...it was a vacation for me too! Up until the shore house that is...;)...then it was back to cooking!

Even if we had someone to leave her at home with, I wouldn't. In march of last year we went on a quick 4 day with DS and my mom kept her for me. Well by the last day I was missing her so much that I just wasnt enjoying myself. Not to mention the outrageous phone bill I had calling to check on her. I couldn't imagine leaving her for a whole 7.

Sounds like a personal problem. You were with someone, right? Must have made him or her feel real welcome to be with you.

Archived