Summit--Verizon service--texting to others on board

momoftwo11

This is my first posting although I have been reading threads for the past month or so (thanks for all the helpfull information) .... but I haven't been able to find the answer to this question. When on board, what is the charge for text messages (on a verizon family plan) when texting family on the cruise together? We have two cabins (not adjoining) and would like to use our texting (with an older teen) to keep in touch during the day. Thanks so much.

Mary

Summit August 5, 2012

Be careful if you have teens that are used to texting a lot. You never know, they might start texting friends at home, and those charges can add up to hundreds of dollars. Just make sure to tell your kids to tell their friends not to text them, as those 50 cent per text charges can really add up. I know of one family who came home to a phone bill of nearly $1000 because their three teens texted on the ship.

Fblack, I am technologically challenged so let me ask a dumb question. Can the phone be set in such a way that it can only be used for texting but not for calls in or out? Just wondering if you had the phone on for texting use and incoming calls came in and went to voicemail, would you be charged roaming rates for incoming calls in that case?

I also agree it does not sound like a too efficient plan. To the OP, I presume that your teens cabin is very close to yours so you could stop by? Also you can easily call cabin to cabin, leave notes, etc.. I have traveled with my son when he was a teen and communication was never an issue onboard. When we have gotten off the ship and he prefered to stay onboard we have on occasion used walkie talkies (this was when he was younger - old enough to stay alone but young enough we wanted to be able to communicate). But honestly, onboard ship it is probably something you really don't need to worry about (not telling you how to handle your own kids - just an opinion about this in general from someone who has done it multiple times).

the other issue is you can get lots of texts from other things my daughter averages over 2000 incoming textx per month. I would just get a pair of walkie talkies or just make plans to meet back in the room at certain times. Believe me the last thing they are going to want to do is checking in with you. The beauty of the cruise is they can do their stuff and you yours meet back at the room at 6 or whatever and unwind from a fun day and get ready for dinner.

the other issue is you can get lots of texts from other things my daughter averages over 2000 incoming textx per month. I would just get a pair of walkie talkies or just make plans to meet back in the room at certain times.

or leave stickies on the mirror etc. Someone on our last cruise was charged well over $1200 for texting and incoming texts - they had no clue.

I tried this a few years back as a method for my wife to message me when she was ready to meet up. Only issue was I never received the text message until a couple hours after she sent it. While the system works OK (but not great) most of the time there are times it does not.

Fblack, I am technologically challenged so let me ask a dumb question. Can the phone be set in such a way that it can only be used for texting but not for calls in or out?...

No. At least not with our phone.

This is my first posting although I have been reading threads for the past month or so (thanks for all the helpfull information) .... but I haven't been able to find the answer to this question. When on board, what is the charge for text messages (on a verizon family plan) when texting family on the cruise together? We have two cabins (not adjoining) and would like to use our texting (with an older teen) to keep in touch during the day. Thanks so much.

Mary

Summit August 5, 2012

We were checking Bermuda since we go in Sept. and the voice charges are $2.49 a minute once on the island. As far as the ship goes when we get on board, we turn the phones off and don't turn them on until we get into port. If your kids are used to getting texts and using them as most kids are, you will incur huge charges as everything has to go through the ships service while you are at sea. All those texts are going to be sitting out there waiting for you to turn the phone on and them you will be hit. Your family plan is not going to help.

Archived