Cabo and PV ports of call

CruiseDuo12

We are leaving on the Carnival Splendor in September and the two ports of call are Cabo and PV. We have not paid for any excursions and don't plan on going on any because of the cost. I have heard though that right when you get off the ship there are little shopping centers not far from where you disembark.

Our plan is to walk around these shopping areas and maybe sit out by the beach. Is this going to be reasonable to do? My fear is getting lost and something bad happening. We are two 25 year old girls going by ourselves and I feel like we would be prime targets.

If these options will not work then we will just stay on the ship, but I would love to be able to explore a little.

Does anyone have any experience with these ports?

Opposite the cruise terminal in Puerto Vallarta you will see Galeria Mall with Liverpool as main store. But it looks like any US Mall. The same with the adjacent Walmart.....

To have a more Mexico feeling take a cab or bus to the Malecon - a kind of boardwalk with lots of statues, small shops and various restaurants, great place to walk.

I never heard somebody got lost in Puerto Vallarta, many people speak english.

For Puerto Vallarta:

To the right of the port there are a lot of small shops where you can find souvenirs.

As mentioned across the street there is a mall.

If you go to your right and walk for a little while you will see the public beach which is quite nice.

For Cabo:

After you take the tender where you are dropped off has lots of little stores and cafes and such. If you walk all around the pier then you can be in the downtown area within say a 10 minute walk where you can browse all of the stores and other places downtown.

Keith

We've been to these ports at least once a year since the early 80's both on cruises and in PV, land-based vacations. These are wonderful ports. I agree w/ the above posters.

In PV I would cab it to the Malecon, walk up & down, have a beer or two, see the church, the statues, go over the bridge to Old Town. You can enjoy the beach there. Or, you can go back towards the ship and spend the rest of the day at the Krystal, use their pool, beach, etc. Usually there is no day fee. Sometimes there is. But it is deducted from any bar or food bill.

In CSL, as you get off the tender sign up w/ one of the boats to Los Arcos. Take the tour and either hang at the beach there for a while. Or, come back and walk into town and have a few at one of the many establishments on the marina.

When the Time Share Sharks approach (and they will), just shake your head and keep walking. If you do stop, you don't speak English. You speak Klingon or some other made up language (I become the Swedish chef from Muppets) all while shaking your head.

Stay in the main areas and you will be very safe. You will find that 99% of the Mexicans are happy, honest, hard-working people.

Smooth sailing. You will have a wonderful trip. Best lobster I ever had was on a Carnival ship.

You can take a water taxi to Medano Beach in Cabo San Lucas. It is lined with bars and restuarants, both wild and crazy type and mellow depending on what you like. Many have loungers that you can use for free as long as you buy food/drink.

Remember that in both Cabo and Puerta Vallarta, many Americans and Canadians now call these cities home so that should help ease your fears regarding safety issues. Just say No Gracias tothe time share guys, as Bemidji Ty said, and the same to the guys selling silver as well as the beach vendors. The Mexicans are polite people and they're just trying to make a living, but if you say no, they won't pursue you.

We did Medano Beach the first day took a water taxi there and a land one back for the same price. If you have issues jumping off a moving boat onto the beach do the land taxi. We ate and drank at Billigans and it was great. Second day we did La Isla and it was the best time of our trip.

We've been to both ports and have never felt even "uncomfortable".

The Malacon in PV is a great place.

As for Cabo, (and we now go to Cabo twice a year, with our kids and gandkids), you should feel comfortable just about anywhere.

Wander the marina, go downtown, and take a water taxi out to the Arch, and then to Medano Beach. It is all good, and all very safe.

Enjoy the great (and inexpensive) food, beers, and Margaritas.

My roommate and I have talked about it some more and I think we are going to plan to do just a simple snorkling tour thing for one day in Cabo and then shopping the other day in Cabo and in PV.

Thank you everyone for the input. I actually feel 100 times better about the whole trip from what everyone has said.

When we booked the cruise I was dead set on not getting off the ship because of all the things that have been going on in Mexico lately, but you guys have reassured me that the places we are going to are very "touristy". So thanks again!

My roommate and I have talked about it some more and I think we are going to plan to do just a simple snorkling tour thing for one day in Cabo and then shopping the other day in Cabo and in PV.

Thank you everyone for the input. I actually feel 100 times better about the whole trip from what everyone has said.

When we booked the cruise I was dead set on not getting off the ship because of all the things that have been going on in Mexico lately, but you guys have reassured me that the places we are going to are very "touristy". So thanks again!

Happy to hear you will be getting off the ship and enjoying your days in PV and Cabo. The majority of the reports of violence in Mexico are in other areas. It sounds like you and your friend will have a wonderful time.

Those ports are really great and you shouldn't feel at all in danger but I can understand your relunctance to stray off. For your first visit, this is what I would do:

1. Cabo: The tender drops you off at the marina where there are lots of shops & restaurants lining the marina so you won't get lost at all and won't be in danger. There will be lots of people pushing tours & holding signs. Just keep walking saying no thank you and they will leave you alone.

If you feel like paying a few dollars to a water taxi, they will take you to the beach but I would wait until your PV visit to do the beach. Thats what I do.

Here are pics of the marina. You can also walk 5 minutes along the marina to the dolphin center where you can see the dolphins swimming thru a underwater window & its free to do that. click on my picture to take you to my album with lots of pics of Cabo.

2195230140040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2410669090040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2877263960040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

You will also encounter these guys along the Cabo marina. Tip them a buck & get your picture taken. Its fun.

2839794270040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

2. Puerto Vallarta: There is a beach next to the ship and we always walk there. Good beach day and you don't need to spend a dime unless you want a drink or lunch from a resort. To use the umbrellas, chairs or get served, you have to go to Krystal's Vallarta which is quite a walk from the ship but they will serve you. Most of the resorts closer to the ship are for residents only. It can be tricky to find your way so I am attaching a picture of the beach where the ship ports and picture of where to walk. When you get off the ship, walk right and follow the wall of the white building thru the fence to get to the beach and keep walking until you see Krystal's (also see picture).

Krystals view from the beach:

2879625170040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

when you see this white building from the ship, this is where you will walk to along the fence to get to the beach:

2031692490040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

Those ports are really great and you shouldn't feel at all in danger but I can understand your relunctance to stray off. For your first visit, this is what I would do:

1. Cabo: The tender drops you off at the marina where there are lots of shops & restaurants lining the marina so you won't get lost at all and won't be in danger. There will be lots of people pushing tours & holding signs. Just keep walking saying no thank you and they will leave you alone.

If you feel like paying a few dollars to a water taxi, they will take you to the beach but I would wait until your PV visit to do the beach. Thats what I do.

Here are pics of the marina. You can also walk 5 minutes along the marina to the dolphin center where you can see the dolphins swimming thru a underwater window & its free to do that. click on my picture to take you to my album with lots of pics of Cabo.

2195230140040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2410669090040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2877263960040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

You will also encounter these guys along the Cabo marina. Tip them a buck & get your picture taken. Its fun.

2839794270040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

2. Puerto Vallarta: There is a beach next to the ship and we always walk there. Good beach day and you don't need to spend a dime unless you want a drink or lunch from a resort. To use the umbrellas, chairs or get served, you have to go to Krystal's Vallarta which is quite a walk from the ship but they will serve you. Most of the resorts closer to the ship are for residents only. It can be tricky to find your way so I am attaching a picture of the beach where the ship ports and picture of where to walk. When you get off the ship, walk right and follow the wall of the white building thru the fence to get to the beach and keep walking until you see Krystal's (also see picture).

Krystals view from the beach:

2879625170040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

when you see this white building from the ship, this is where you will walk to along the fence to get to the beach:

2031692490040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

Thank you sooooooo much!!!! I will be printing your tips off so that we don't forget anything. Thanks again! This was VERY helpful!

I would also recommend a water taxi tour of the Arch. For about $10-12 per person, you will see the Arch up close, as well as Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, the Sea Lions, and you will be able to feed hundreds of tropical fish, some of which will swim right up into your hands to take the food!

We have been to Cabo quite a few times, and we most always take a Panga (water taxi) out to the Arch. You can find a water taxi right at the cruise docks.

I would also recommend a water taxi tour of the Arch. For about $10-12 per person, you will see the Arch up close, as well as Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, the Sea Lions, and you will be able to feed hundreds of tropical fish, some of which will swim right up into your hands to take the food!

We have been to Cabo quite a few times, and we most always take a Panga (water taxi) out to the Arch. You can find a water taxi right at the cruise docks.

Same here !!!!! It is the best "bang for the buck" you will find in Cabo !!

• 3 weeks later...

In Cabo, my DH and I rented a water taxi and went to Lover's Beach. It was $20 pp (I think) and we got a little water tour before we were dropped off. I was super worried that we would be stranded on this little beach and the taxi wouldnt come back but once I saw how many coming and going I felt much better. We choose to stay 2 hours in August and its was SOOOO HOTT! make sure if you do go you bring lots and lots of water! but I would feel safe there if it was only me and a girlfriend as there were many other cruise passengers and you can see the ship.

In PV, truthfully, I was scared there. It might just be me that feels that way IDK (I travel by myself quite a bit and I'm big on intuition and feelings so I know if I feel safe or not) and I did not feel safe. My DH is Coast Guard and has visited PV many times so I was aware how PV feels about military and its not kindly so that did not help my fear. They had port security or military outside the port with big guns and black uniforms. We ended up going downtown and eating at a restaurant and then just heading back and staying on the boat. Didn't feel right - I can't explain it. Nothing happened there that I know of. I was 21 if that helps and it was back in fall 2010.

If shopping is not of great importance and if you are concerned about being in PV on your own, save up and take the ship's excursion to Las Caletas for a great beach day, very fun catamaran ride of about 45 minutes or so each way, a great buffet lunch and an open bar. You can swim, snorkel or kyak there. It is a very scenic area and you'll see lots of the PV coastline as you cruise along on the catamaran. Our kids always have loved their day at Las Caletas, and our granddaughter and her husband (early 20's) loved their day there last year. You'll have lots of ship passengers as company! The crew on the catamaran puts on a great show, serves drinks and snacks. I think you'd feel really safe and have a good time if a beach day is what you are looking for. Hope you have a wonderful adventure no matter what you decide to do.

Lots of good information on Cabo above. Shopping and beach time are both great there.

In Cabo, my DH and I rented a water taxi and went to Lover's Beach. It was $20 pp (I think) and we got a little water tour before we were dropped off. I was super worried that we would be stranded on this little beach and the taxi wouldnt come back but once I saw how many coming and going I felt much better. We choose to stay 2 hours in August and its was SOOOO HOTT! make sure if you do go you bring lots and lots of water! but I would feel safe there if it was only me and a girlfriend as there were many other cruise passengers and you can see the ship.

In PV, truthfully, I was scared there. It might just be me that feels that way IDK (I travel by myself quite a bit and I'm big on intuition and feelings so I know if I feel safe or not) and I did not feel safe. My DH is Coast Guard and has visited PV many times so I was aware how PV feels about military and its not kindly so that did not help my fear. They had port security or military outside the port with big guns and black uniforms. We ended up going downtown and eating at a restaurant and then just heading back and staying on the boat. Didn't feel right - I can't explain it. Nothing happened there that I know of. I was 21 if that helps and it was back in fall 2010.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Mazatlan? I have never seen any military or weapons in Puerto Vallarta. However, Mazatlan always had them guarding the marina. Plus there are restaurants you can walk to from Mazatlan but I'm not sure many restaurants are walking distance in PV unless you are talking about one of the hotel's/resort's there. HMMM:confused: I've never been scared in PV but Mazatlan is a different story.

The only times we have seen more military and police in Puerto Vallarta is when President Calderon was in town. Also a big meeting took place last winter with many VIP's, of course there was more security, helicopters etc. around.

On all other days it is a normal relaxing life in Vallarta.

The only times we have seen more military and police in Puerto Vallarta is when President Calderon was in town. Also a big meeting took place last winter with many VIP's, of course there was more security, helicopters etc. around.

On all other days it is a normal relaxing life in Vallarta.

Many occasional visitors to Vallarta don’t know that there is a Mexican Navy base immediately north of the port facility. They have priority use of the northern (#3) dock when they have a ship in port. The “Navy Museum”, located downtown at the arches, was an active navy medical facility until a year or so ago. Their Navy security personnel wear black uniforms and, just like our military police, carry an assault rifle.

They used to be a common site, riding in the back of open pickup trucks, when they were on duty at the downtown hospital location. You will occasionally see them at the port, assisting regular port security, when there are (were) multiple ships in port.

The climate of fear that the media enjoys spreading encourages us to see things that have been there all along, but used to blend into the background. Military security personnel are less visible today. The typical tourist doesn’t know/understand why they are there and automatically assume that their presence represents an increased threat in the area.

December visitors will likely see an increased military police presence as they assist local police with traffic control during the 12-day festival known as the Feast of Guadalupe which happens every December 1st-12th. For these 12 days, peregrinations/processions line the Vallarta streets as people travel from all over the area to pay respect to the Virgin at the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Many of these processions include floats which portray when Juan Diego had his vision of the Virgin of Guadalupe. These processions may also consist of Mariachis, Aztec dancers and entire communities or colonias of people walking and singing. All around the Church you will find vendors selling food and drinks, religious icons throughout these days and nights.

Enjoy!

When the Time Share Sharks approach (and they will), just shake your head and keep walking. If you do stop, you don't speak English. You speak Klingon or some other made up language (I become the Swedish chef from Muppets) all while shaking your head.

I love it......you gave me a belly laugh first thing this morning!

Excellent info by all previous posters. We have been to PV many times, as we have a timeshare there. We enjoy taking our guests down the Malecon for some great photo op's....and beverages. If time permits, keep walking along the beach sidewalks and go as far as you can. It's a very safe city, so enjoy every minute of it!

IMG_2517.jpg.8e252734056d62974549cc3be9980085.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg.5b711ef530f2dcfcb47357b0d9d5cf62.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg.0b63c8013b850830663b4a5443068182.jpg

Archived