Harry's bar venice.....

blackpool belle

Is it over-hyped.

Yes. €33 for two Bellinis, but you do get a free bowl of crummy olives with it. €30 for a club sandwich. It's way over priced for mediocre food and rude waitstaff. You are not allowed to take pictures inside. I think it's because they don't want people to see what an awful place it is. It's full of tourists, not celebrities. Walk by and see it if you must, but eat and drink someplace else.

Save yourself the money and time--there are better belinis in other bars around town. Service is very rude and I doubt if any celebrities would even go there in this day and age. If you do go, be prepared to spend a fortune for poor to average food and drinks.

Actually been there many times and never found the wait staff rude at all. Yes the food is very expensive but what isn't in Venice. We found the food to be good and if you want to pay a bit less you can go to the Isle of Guidecca and eat at it's sister restaurant Harry's Dolce. Just for the record Have seen Lauren Hutton and David Blain there as well has Mercella Hazan.

Yes. €33 for two Bellinis, but you do get a free bowl of crummy olives with it. €30 for a club sandwich. It's way over priced for mediocre food and rude waitstaff. You are not allowed to take pictures inside. I think it's because they don't want people to see what an awful place it is. It's full of tourists, not celebrities. Walk by and see it if you must, but eat and drink someplace else.

Boy,do I agree with this.Back in the day perhaps it was a trendy place,but not now.:mad:

Actually been there many times and never found the wait staff rude at all. Yes the food is very expensive but what isn't in Venice. We found the food to be good and if you want to pay a bit less you can go to the Isle of Guidecca and eat at it's sister restaurant Harry's Dolce. Just for the record Have seen Lauren Hutton and David Blain there as well has Mercella Hazan.

Think I'll have to go there even if it's only for 1 drink and the experience. Who knows if I'll ever get back to Venice? Carpe Diem.

It was closed when we were there, so just read the menu and took pictures of the outside of it. After looking at the menu, we were really glad the place wasn't open. Not sure if we were there too early in the evening or why it was closed.

.....So what's it REALLY like. Do you have to take out a second mortgage to eat and drink there? Is it over-hyped. Has anybody actually ever spotted anybody famous there?

I LOVE the bellinis there. It's all about what's worth it to you. I think they are delicious. I do believe there is a reason why they are priced so high... I think if they made them cheaper, people would be hanging out there all day ONLY drinking bellinis. The nectar they use is fresh and if you've ever juiced white peaches, a pain in the butt. So... if they weren't so expensive, that's all they would be making.

It's a dive-ish looking bar that has history. I think it's an awesome place. I haven't paid the 34 euros for a hamburger there, but I do saddle up to the bar and get a bellini each time I'm in Venice. For me, it's worth it.

And I've never once looked for anyone famous. But, I have seen the same bartender for the last four years in a row.

Well, I've heard of Lauren Hutton. . .:confused:

I LOVE the bellinis there. It's all about what's worth it to you. I think they are delicious. I do believe there is a reason why they are priced so high... I think if they made them cheaper, people would be hanging out there all day ONLY drinking bellinis. The nectar they use is fresh and if you've ever juiced white peaches, a pain in the butt. So... if they weren't so expensive, that's all they would be making.

It's a dive-ish looking bar that has history. I think it's an awesome place. I haven't paid the 34 euros for a hamburger there, but I do saddle up to the bar and get a bellini each time I'm in Venice. For me, it's worth it.

And I've never once looked for anyone famous. But, I have seen the same bartender for the last four years in a row.

Agree with all of this except we have only been to Harry's Bar twice.

I admire the proprietors.

They serve a questionable product and highly inflated prices and the patsys just keep walking through the door. I guess it is an indication of the value of perception...of seeing and being seen.

They have been trading on egos and curiousity for many years. It must be one heck of a money maker.

I went last year as its was a bucket list item I got to cross off. I enjoyed the bellinis, the olives and also their decious ham and cheese. The wait staff wasn't rude at all. I took pictures with no probelems. Should you go? Sure, why not? Your on vacation, why not?

I loved buying some bird food from the guy in St. Marks Square and letting the birds fly on me. Thats was an experience. My face in the video my daughter took is priceless :D

I loved just getting lost, stopping in various stores to look, I bought some masks and a lace tablecloth. We sat at a cafe near a bridge for almost 3 hours, relaxing, people watching and just enjoying the view of the gondolas and boats going by.

I went with my daughters last year, and next year I am taking a cruise with the hubby and his brother and wife. It ends in Venice so we will stay for an extra 2 days before we fly home. Im looking forward to a romantic gondola ride with my husband. I didnt do that last time, just the regular boat.

Just beginning our research for our Med cruise next June LOL Thanks for the suggestions.DH and I always try to take in the suggested venues So Harry's Bar and Pigeon feeding it is.That has to be hysterical.Just hope the pigeons keep the food to themselves.LOL

I loved buying some bird food from the guy in St. Marks Square and letting the birds fly on me. Thats was an experience. My face in the video my daughter took is priceless :D

I loved just getting lost, stopping in various stores to look, I bought some masks and a lace tablecloth. We sat at a cafe near a bridge for almost 3 hours, relaxing, people watching and just enjoying the view of the gondolas and boats going by.

I went with my daughters last year, and next year I am taking a cruise with the hubby and his brother and wife. It ends in Venice so we will stay for an extra 2 days before we fly home. Im looking forward to a romantic gondola ride with my husband. I didnt do that last time, just the regular boat.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but feeding pigeons in Piazza San Marco is illegal, as of a couple of years ago, and can even lead to a fine. The people who used to sell food there for the pigeons have had to find another line of work.

Archived