Suitable trousers for "evening casual"

Hi everyone

First time cruiser just curious as to what would be suitable. I've seen P&O dress code recommendations, but other than "smart dark denim" what else could be worn?

Chinos? Charcoal coloured trousers? (which are one half of a suit that I have)

With formal night I know where I stand, but with this I'm a bit gazumped!

Extract from P&O website.......

Evening Casual

For a typical two week cruise on Oceana* or Ventura there are normally ten Evening Casual nights. On Arcadia, Aurora, Adonia, Azura and Oriana there are normally six Evening Casual nights.

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

Personally I would not wear denim but virtually anything else is fine

Brian

Hi, my husband has a pair of smart chino type trousers in a light beige colour that he wears for casual evenings. He wears them with just a open neck shirt, and sometimes a light cream linen jacket too.

Have to admit, they never see the light of day at home, but he has worn them for cruising for about 10 years.

Have a look in M&S or Next.

On the last night he sometimes wears his very dark smart denim jeans with a shirt and maybe a jacket. This is acceptable on P&O.

Extract from P&O website.......

Evening Casual

For a typical two week cruise on Oceana* or Ventura there are normally ten Evening Casual nights. On Arcadia, Aurora, Adonia, Azura and Oriana there are normally six Evening Casual nights.

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

Personally I would not wear denim but virtually anything else is fine

Brian

Yeah I saw that but was just wondering what constituted as "smart trousers" as opinion seems to vary.

Hi, my husband has a pair of smart chino type trousers in a light beige colour that he wears for casual evenings. He wears them with just a open neck shirt, and sometimes a light cream linen jacket too.

Have to admit, they never see the light of day at home, but he has worn them for cruising for about 10 years.

Have a look in M&S or Next.

On the last night he sometimes wears his very dark smart denim jeans with a shirt and maybe a jacket. This is acceptable on P&O.

Thanks! I was thinking about some Chinos, and M&S have some nice looking ones. Haven't checked Next yet.

Do you think dark smart trousers, shoes and a shirt with the top button undone (not a polo type) would be too formal for evening casual?

No, you will see lots of guys wearing dark trousers with a smart shirt - you see quite a lot of black or dark striped shirts with cufflinks. The kind of thing you might wear to a smart wine bar at home.

Great :) gives me a better understanding and more flexibility with bringing stuff

Thanks a bunch

We're just back off Oriana and we saw a whole range of outfits on smart casual. For men, we saw some wearing blazer type jackets with shirt, tie and trousers,others with long-sleeved 'cotton' shirts and suit-type trousers, as well as chinos / linen trousers with polos. We always think P&O is slightly smarter even on smart casual evenings than other lines and didn't see the jeans referred to on the website.

Archived