Upgraded for FREE

Xmansmom

I've heard of this happening but never known anyone who it happened to-Until now. I have some friends that are cruising later this year and just got upgraded for free from an inside room to a balcony. Very cool. One can only hope. Heck I would take a cheap upgrade too.

On our honeymoon 8 years ago we were upgraded from a balcony to a mimi-suite on the Destiny. The upgrade fairy smiled upon us and we were definitely spoiled since that was our first cruise (now going on #11 in September).

The best free upgrade I have ever seen was my mother and my niece a few years ago and it was on Princess.

I had just lost my sister a few months prior in a car accident but before she passed away my mom always talked about taking an Alaskan Cruise with us girls and we never go to go. My 18 year old niece decided that she wanted to take my mom on her dream trip with the money that she received from her mothers estate.

I helped her plan and we booked the trip and gave it to my mom as a Christmas gift. We booked a Jr Suite for them and they were so excited. A week before they were to sail Jenni received a call from Princess asking her if they would be interested in chaning thier sale date as they were over booked. It would have moved their trip back one week. Jenni being only 18 and never have cruised before did not realize the upgrade they were offering her to move her date so she declined. She called me and told me what they offered her and that she declined. I told her she was crazy she should have taken as their schedules were flexable. I called Pricness back and talked to the lady that helped us book orginianally and she told us since we declined it was probably to late. She knew why this trip was so special to my niece and asked would we mind if she shared our story with her manager and of course we said go ahead.

She came back on the phone and told us if we did not mind chaning ships and our dates slightly they would still offer the upgrades. Now for the upgrade.....They moved to a newer ship. Went from a Jr Suite with a Grand Suite. They received complentry spa treatments. They had Complentry champain and stawberries in their room. Each night they had something complentry in their room. The biggest thing was they received $1500 OBC!!!

Needless to say she took the Upgrade and they had the most amazing time. It was a trip of a life time for my mother.

Now Thats an upgrade!!!!

The best free upgrade I have ever seen was my mother and my niece a few years ago and it was on Princess.

I had just lost my sister a few months prior in a car accident but before she passed away my mom always talked about taking an Alaskan Cruise with us girls and we never go to go. My 18 year old niece decided that she wanted to take my mom on her dream trip with the money that she received from her mothers estate.

I helped her plan and we booked the trip and gave it to my mom as a Christmas gift. We booked a Jr Suite for them and they were so excited. A week before they were to sail Jenni received a call from Princess asking her if they would be interested in chaning thier sale date as they were over booked. It would have moved their trip back one week. Jenni being only 18 and never have cruised before did not realize the upgrade they were offering her to move her date so she declined. She called me and told me what they offered her and that she declined. I told her she was crazy she should have taken as their schedules were flexable. I called Pricness back and talked to the lady that helped us book orginianally and she told us since we declined it was probably to late. She knew why this trip was so special to my niece and asked would we mind if she shared our story with her manager and of course we said go ahead.

She came back on the phone and told us if we did not mind chaning ships and our dates slightly they would still offer the upgrades. Now for the upgrade.....They moved to a newer ship. Went from a Jr Suite with a Grand Suite. They received complentry spa treatments. They had Complentry champain and stawberries in their room. Each night they had something complentry in their room. The biggest thing was they received $1500 OBC!!!

Needless to say she took the Upgrade and they had the most amazing time. It was a trip of a life time for my mother.

Now Thats an upgrade!!!!

That is such a touching story!! Thank you for sharing!

My In laws are cruising with another cruise line at the moment and the day before they sailed were phoned to say that they needed their balcony cabin, if they down graded to a ocean view they could have the cruise for free ! I would be ecstatic if that happened to us !

We did manage to upgrade from a ocean view to a balcony on the breeze next month and still get some money back as the price had gone down :)

My In laws are cruising with another cruise line at the moment and the day before they sailed were phoned to say that they needed their balcony cabin, if they down graded to a ocean view they could have the cruise for free ! I would be ecstatic if that happened to us !

We did manage to upgrade from a ocean view to a balcony on the breeze next month and still get some money back as the price had gone down :)

Wow!!!!! DW and I would jump on that in a heart beat.

Got a free upgrade on my very first cruise. It was way back in 1986 on RCL's Song of America (no longer with the fleet). There were four of us booked in an inside cabin. About a week before the cruise, we got a cll from our TA letting us know our tickets just arrived and we had been upgraded from one inside cabin to two oceanview cabins!

Don't ever expect to get another free upgrade just glad to have had at least one. :)

I have been upgraded several times. Once from an inside room to a balcony, the other times from a lower floor balcony to a higher floor. Not really sure why we were upgraded...just lucky I guess.

And once we were upgraded at the curb...I read a post about this once and someone said that you cannot be upgraded before entering the terminal. It was probably done before we arrived without our knowledge, but when we dropped the luggage at the baggage area, the porters had a clipboard and checked our names..at which point they cut off our luggage tags and placed new tags with a higher class on the bags!

I have been upgraded several times. Once from an inside room to a balcony, the other times from a lower floor balcony to a higher floor. Not really sure why we were upgraded...just lucky I guess.

And once we were upgraded at the curb...I read a post about this once and someone said that you cannot be upgraded before entering the terminal. It was probably done before we arrived without our knowledge, but when we dropped the luggage at the baggage area, the porters had a clipboard and checked our names..at which point they cut off our luggage tags and placed new tags with a higher class on the bags!

Hi Lady Vol Fan! My family is from Knoxville and are Lady Vol fans. My dad and nephew are huge Vols Men's basketball fans too.

Archived