Flow Rider question

We are going on the Liberty next month and I was was wondering if anyone can tell me if it's worth paying $60.00 for a surf lesson on the Flow rider and how long it lasts. My daughter is 13 and has never surfed , she says she probably doesn't need a lesson.

Is she planning to ride the board like a surf board or boogie board? If she has NEVER surfed but is serious about wanting to, I think I'd be inclined to get a lesson. Having said that, I have no idea if the lessons they give are worth $60 or not; I have no idea what the going rate of a surf lesson is. If she just wants ride it like a boogie board, no lesson needed. That's just my .02

The $60 gets you an hour of lesson time. My nephew and his DW did it. It is very worthwhile especially if you have no experience.

My DH did a group lesson on FOS and found it very worthwhile, but the staff are also helpful during the day with those trying out the flowrider for the first time. All you need to do is tell them you have no experience, and they will help you get started. I'm not sure how quickly the "private" times fill up, but maybe your daughter could try it out first and you could book the paid time later on board if she would like to go that route. There were 4 adults and a child for my DH's paid time, and the staff were careful to give everyone equal time and attention.

group of us liked the flowrider but hated the lines, so we found some others on the ship that we saw using it a lot, teamed up with them and rented it for an hour to ourselves at night. the instructors are there the whole time and are very helpful. i think we had 6 people total for $30 each if i remember correctly. having a few people is a good idea because a break between wipeouts is a good thing. try it first before you book a lesson or private time. dont miss the flowrider competition at the end of the week. we had some kids on board that blew us away with the tricks they were doing. it was like they had one of these things in their back yard.

I was just on Oasis. I absolutely loved the Flow Rider. I would suggest trying it out for free first. The boogie board is pretty easy. The stand up board is much more challenging. But with either one the staff was very helpful in getting you started. It doesn't require getting a lesson.

The advantage of the lesson is the number of people in line. At least on Oasis anyway, the maximum number of people in the $60 lesson was 8. This gives you a reasonable amount of time on the Flow Rider. If your class happens to have less people in it, then you get even more time.

You could also rent an hour for $480 with a maximum number of 8 people. So you're really buying out the whole class and then you can split the total among the number of people you have. For instance, we did this once and split the $480 between 3 people. $160 per person. It was an exhausting but REALLY fun hour.

The cheaper way to get a lot of time is to be on board on a port day. I stayed on board one day and had a lot of time on the Flow Rider while most of the passengers were off sightseeing.

Archived