Think Carnival ought to try this

VolzCruiser

While RCI might have come up with the idea, I think this would be a good thing for Carnival to do.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/07/coca-cola-machine-royal-caribbean-ships/804355/1

I think it's an excellent idea for a number of reasons. I'll share 2:

1) The machines are really cool. A local burger joint here got one and I really love them!

2) Allows for soda refills without bartender service. Anyone who's ever had a soda card knows how difficult it can be to get a bartender to pour you your refill. I'm not saying that this should be the case, but it is. Bartenders want to make money, so they have a tendency to serve paying alcohol-ordering passengers first. This is annoying for soda card users (who have paid good money for those cards) and is probably annoying for the bartenders too who would rather serve paying customers.

I think this is a win-win for the line and for consumers. Carnival would probably be wise to watch how it goes for RCI before jumping in and investing, but if it goes well I could see this being a good move for Carnival too.

Looks interesting.

Anyone who thinks this means soda is included needs t read the entire article. The machine only works with RFID embedded cups purchased with an all you can drink soda card.

What I ow do is get the kiddies away from the bars, and put adult soda drinkers on a self serve basis.

i guess rccl will be thrust to the front of the line as the fat line.

16 packettes of sugar in a 16 oz bottle of coke. keep drinkin!

Totally this. Soda is so gross and one of the most fattening drinks out there, because people consume so much of it and it is all empty calories and sugar (or even worse, high fructose corn syrup). Im glad my husband finally gave up drinking soda a year ago(he will have an occasional glass of it at a restaurant, I wont touch it) because I dont want that garbage in my house nor do I allow my son to drink it. Not to mention it is so horrible for your teeth.

I saw these at a local Burger King recently and immediately thought they would be great on a cruise ship. They're pretty cool and fun.

But the lines will be unbearable. Kids will never leave. There would definitely have to be an absolute minimum of 3 of these on any given ship.

RCI continues to innovate though. I will always give them that.

While RCI might have come up with the idea, I think this would be a good thing for Carnival to do.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/07/coca-cola-machine-royal-caribbean-ships/804355/1

I cannot understand why most airports and all of the cruise lines seem to have an exclusive contract with Coca-Cola. As a (Diet) Pepsi drinker, I don't buy a soda card when we cruise, so these machines wouldn't be of much interest to me. I'm sure there are lots of other Pepsi (and Mountain Dew) drinkers that feel the same way.

Looks interesting.

Anyone who thinks this means soda is included needs t read the entire article. The machine only works with RFID embedded cups purchased with an all you can drink soda card.

What I ow do is get the kiddies away from the bars, and put adult soda drinkers on a self serve basis.

I did read the article, thanks. :) I still think it would be great if soda was included in the cruise fare. ;)

I cannot understand why most airports and all of the cruise lines seem to have an exclusive contract with Coca-Cola. As a (Diet) Pepsi drinker, I don't buy a soda card when we cruise, so these machines wouldn't be of much interest to me. I'm sure there are lots of other Pepsi (and Mountain Dew) drinkers that feel the same way.

I completely agree. If I'm drinking soda which is rare I prefer Pepsi. Which is why I'm excited to sail NCl next year.

Give CCL time and surely they will follow RCCLs lead. I think though they would need two at each beverage station on Lido to avoid crazy lines but it would keep the kids away from the bars and keep the bartenders and other bar guests happier. I do think that the soda being this freely available not only will lead to much more consumption, but will also lead to more waste. Have you ever seen the kids making their 'suicides'? Fill a cup with a little of each fountain product available. Crazy.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I have seen 2 of these machines in local burger joints here in Memphis. I love the Vanilla Diet Coke!!

I can see Carnival getting one in a few years. But they would end up having to charge more for their 'all you can drink soda package' to help cover their costs and then everyone is going to complain about how unfair it is and threaten to never cruise on Carnival again! :D

I am a soda drinker, yes I know it is bad for me. Bu it is one of my vices. I wouldn't mind paying for the priviledge of using this type of machine. The downside would be carrying that cup it talks of in the article. I would not want to reuse the same cup all week, nor try to keep track of it & carry it everywhere.

Like Beachbum53 says: why does Pepsi not do stuff like this? I am an avid Dr pepper kinda girl, so Coke & Mr pibb do not interest me. I do know that Cocoa Cola is much better at promoting their products by giving restaurants a rebate for using their logo in the restaurants ads. That is most likely why small food chains use coke products.

I think the idea is good but would have to consider how it's available to guests.

On the other hand, I do believe the question was what do you think of the idea, and not what do you think of people's choice of beverage. It's not up to anyone but the drinker to chose what they want. Personally I believe we should answer the questions put to the group and not use threads as a place to make a stand against things.

My DH is a recovering alcoholic and chooses to drink diet soft drinks, what business is it of anyone but his, mine and his dentist?

There has to be an entire world of absolutely perfect people out there, seeing how many people want to throw rocks at other people's world!!

Like. Lots of pounds can be lost by eliminating soda too!

Totally this. Soda is so gross and one of the most fattening drinks out there, because people consume so much of it and it is all empty calories and sugar (or even worse, high fructose corn syrup). Im glad my husband finally gave up drinking soda a year ago(he will have an occasional glass of it at a restaurant, I wont touch it) because I dont want that garbage in my house nor do I allow my son to drink it. Not to mention it is so horrible for your teeth.

Archived