Think Carnival ought to try this

VolzCruiser

I like my soda. But I dont think it would be cost effective for the cruise line. Maintenance ,plus kids would be pouring out half drinkin sodas and just creating a concoction they wont like and end up dumping it out.

I think RCCL already uses fountain machines, so I see the maintenance being a minor issue. As for the kids dumping half the soda out, that happens now.

Nothing is free. I don't want to pay for your soda habit, thank you.

I don't drink coffee or eat ice cream or eat pizza, or eat at the Mongolian station, etc. Let's not nitpick here, please!:p One thing I missed when moving from Disney to CCL was the free soda on Disney. I don't get the soda card on CCL cause I only drink one can of caffeine free diet coke a day.

I could see long lines with these too. We have them at Firehouse Subs and movie theaters around here. They are pretty neat but it can take a long time for people to go thru all the screen and pick what you want. At Firehouse Subs, there is always a line for the drink machine because there is only one machine unless you are drinking tea.

I think RCCL would have many on the ship. Since they were rolled out in June, someone on the RCCL board has probably already reported back on them. I wonder if the price for the drink card increased with the Radio Chipped cup and/or more people sharing if it's that much easier to get free refills.

Totally this. Soda is so gross and one of the most fattening drinks out there, because people consume so much of it and it is all empty calories and sugar (or even worse, high fructose corn syrup). Im glad my husband finally gave up drinking soda a year ago(he will have an occasional glass of it at a restaurant, I wont touch it) because I dont want that garbage in my house nor do I allow my son to drink it. Not to mention it is so horrible for your teeth.

You're awesome!!!

While RCI might have come up with the idea, I think this would be a good thing for Carnival to do.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/07/coca-cola-machine-royal-caribbean-ships/804355/1

I wonder if you could keep the "special" glass and reuse it on other ships that have these machines. Also can the whole family/group use it for unlimited soda.

I wonder if you could keep the "special" glass and reuse it on other ships that have these machines. Also can the whole family/group use it for unlimited soda.

make you you post these cheats in the secret world of cruise critic.

The probably have a "self destruct" after so many days, or the chip has to be activated on a specific ship.

The Majesty of the Seas had this machine on it 1 1/2 YEARS ago. Yes there is an embedded chip in the cup. We had no problem with it at all and there was never more than a 1 minute wait.

It does not allow you to refill for a few minutes as to pretty much eliminate the cheaters pouring their soda into someone elses cup.

I think this is a great idea! Carnival take note!

The cups will have an RFID chip in them with a unique number, so it will only work during the cruise in which it was bought. They could also limit refills to be spaced out a certain number of minutes, so you couldn't just sit there and immediately refill and pour into other cups to share with your whole family with just one cup.

I just wish they had Pepsi products. I'll still have to bring my 12 Diet Mountain Dews on board...

The Majesty of the Seas had this machine on it 1 1/2 YEARS ago. Yes there is an embedded chip in the cup. We had no problem with it at all and there was never more than a 1 minute wait.

It does not allow you to refill for a few minutes as to pretty much eliminate the cheaters pouring their soda into someone elses cup.

There is a thread over on the Royal Caribbean board. That was not a Freestyle machine. It was a fountain machine that used a cup with the chip.

make you you post these cheats in the secret world of cruise critic.

H82seaUgo, I was just asking the question about the cups. Some others have posted on this thread after my comment that the cups are only good for a certain time:cool: also the machine doesn't allow refills right away. I like the way CCL does it now with canned sodas. I have never had a problem getting a soda at the bars. On a five day cruise it cost me $30.00 + $4.50 tip spread among all the bartenders and bar servers. I give them a extra tip. I also don't like fountain drinks (syrupy taste) and I think the machines would be hard to keep clean.

So what? I said I wish Carnival would include soda. I didn't stomp my feet and say I'll never cruise with them again since they don't include soda. :rolleyes:

settle down. no reason to overreact to an fyi.

cruise who you like.

H82seaUgo, I was just asking the question about the cups. Some others have posted on this thread after my comment that the cups are only good for a certain time:cool: also the machine doesn't allow refills right away. I like the way CCL does it now with canned sodas. I have never had a problem getting a soda at the bars. On a five day cruise it cost me $30.00 + $4.50 tip spread among all the bartenders and bar servers. I give them a extra tip. I also don't like fountain drinks (syrupy taste) and I think the machines would be hard to keep clean.

you must have missed all the threads on how to share a soda card.

you must have missed all the threads on how to share a soda card.

I've only started buying the endless bubbles sticker in the last year. I have noticed the bartenders putting the Sail & Sign card into a machine and the owners picture would pop up. I don't have a problem with that.

Totally this. Soda is so gross and one of the most fattening drinks out there, because people consume so much of it and it is all empty calories and sugar (or even worse, high fructose corn syrup). Im glad my husband finally gave up drinking soda a year ago(he will have an occasional glass of it at a restaurant, I wont touch it) because I dont want that garbage in my house nor do I allow my son to drink it. Not to mention it is so horrible for your teeth.

Unfortunately people tend to turn to fruit juice which has even more sugar and more acids and is worse for you overall.

Water is the only thing we need to drink.

Why be a jerk?

Hey Clark, I really did LOL when I read your msg. Everything I read by him is negative.

Now back to the thread -

While RCI might have come up with the idea, I think this would be a good thing for Carnival to do.

I agree. I drink diet drinks and do buy the "bottemless bubbles thingy." I wish they had Diet Mnt Dew, but I end up settling for Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee, so this is my vice.

I've seen those machine at movie theaters and some fast food joints and they work great. Bring 'em on CCL!!

I like my soda. But I dont think it would be cost effective for the cruise line.

I've done contract work for Coke and know that the per serving cost is just a few cents. So, maintenance would be the only issue. A passive RFID tag is cheap, in the range of 7 to 15 cents based on the volumns CCL would buy. So, that is not an issue. It could be linked to your S&S account and work with the same computers that regulates your door key.

Archived