Amy Fickert...Oasis of the Seas..best CD ever

I don't remember a single CD from any of our cruises. I do remember an assistant cd named Phil on the Ex. Who signed off with a woot woot after he announced bingo or whatever....

Now the port and shopping guide is the person to get to know!

I don't remember a single CD from any of our cruises. I do remember an assistant cd named Phil on the Ex. Who signed off with a woot woot after he announced bingo or whatever....

Now the port and shopping guide is the person to get to know!

All they do is send you to the overpriced ship sponsored stores and get a kickback.

So I have to agree that I wouldn't miss them.

I retract this statement. :p

Just went and read an article/saw some pics of the CD on our upcoming cruise. I'm impressed with Ricky Matthews from what I read/saw and now have a goal of getting a picture taken with him. :D

No one comes close to Richard Spacey. Very funny, energetic, and very entertaining.

Yes! Richard Spacey beats all I've seen on Royal Caribbean and for that matter other cruiselines... except the Great All-Time Father of All CD's, Carnival's John Heald, who is now semi-retired. His audience included night-time story was THE funniest thing I have ever seen aboard any cruise ship.

----------------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, GA (a NW sub of Atlanta, GA)

Proud Emerald Crown & Anchor Members

CCL: Mardis Gras, Destiny

Princess: Grand, Sea

RCL: Serenade, Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Oasis

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." - Ben Franklin

73 Days at sea!

I retract this statement. :p

Just went and read an article/saw some pics of the CD on our upcoming cruise. I'm impressed with Ricky Matthews from what I read/saw and now have a goal of getting a picture taken with him. :D

Ricky Matthews was my favorite CD in 27 crusies. A ship like Oasis deserves someone like him. Having sailed with both Ricky and Amy on Oasis, there's no contest... and I said so on my comment card. Bring back Ricky!

I don't know Amy... She hasn't been the CD on any of the ships I've been on. With that said, folks seem to forget that Amy is a human being. If you don't like her, fine.... provide your feedback in a constructive manor. I understand that she's not everyone's cup of tea, but taking to a message board to take personal shots at her is a bit inappropriate.

-germ

I don't know Amy... She hasn't been the CD on any of the ships I've been on. With that said, folks seem to forget that Amy is a human being. If you don't like her, fine.... provide your feedback in a constructive manor. I understand that she's not everyone's cup of tea, but taking to a message board to take personal shots at her is a bit inappropriate.

-germ

Germ:

Nobody is taking "personal shots" at Amy. Taking a "personal shot" at Amy would be saying she's a horrible person, or something like that. Nobody is saying that.

What people are doing here is critiquing her performance in her professional capacity as a cruise director... just as people might critique the performance of a commedian, singer, or any other public act in an appropriate forum. Discussing the merits and shortcomings of her performance as a cruise director is fair game, especially on a message board titled "Cruise Critic." If Amy didn't want to be a public performer she surely would have sought out a different line of work.

My $.02

I think a lot of negative comments on Amy come because she is a female cruise director....just my personal observation that men seem to be more well liked in this position as it's women who usually get much more into the CD thing....men for the most part couldn't care. Let's face it....it's the women that LOVE seeing the CD dressed up doing YMCA;)

I think a lot of negative comments on Amy come because she is a female cruise director....just my personal observation that men seem to be more well liked in this position as it's women who usually get much more into the CD thing....men for the most part couldn't care. Let's face it....it's the women that LOVE seeing the CD dressed up doing YMCA;)

Honestly I think being a woman and decent looking one such as Amy would play in her favor so I disagree with you. I wanted to like her but couldn't.

I don't know about that. Quite a few of the cruise directors are gay and they sure have quite a bit of fun doing the YMCA. I think they enjoy it more than the women.;) It's the ability to be a bit creative and put your own spin on things even when having to deliver a scripted message that makes a good CD. Oh and the ability to enjoy themselves or appear to do so without it looking like it's all a phoney act even if it is.

It's the over the top fakeness that people tend not to like. I really don't think it matters if it's a male or a female. Both are equally annoying when the act is too "scripted" or "gushy like".

I don't know about that. Quite a few of the cruise directors are gay and they sure have quite a bit of fun doing the YMCA. I think they enjoy it more than the women.;) It's the ability to be a bit creative and put your own spin on things even when having to deliver a scripted message that makes a good CD. Oh and the ability to enjoy themselves or appear to do so without it looking like it's all a phoney act even if it is.

It's the over the top fakeness that people tend not to like. I really don't think it matters if it's a male or a female. Both are equally annoying when the act is too "scripted" or "gushy like".

That plays into it even more....women LOVE gay men like that....they can play away.

male.

It's a bit different as a guy.....stand there hee'ing and hoot'ing and you get stares of death.......women can stare...heee and hoot away and people love they are having fun. I totally stand behind my statement.....Royal took a shoot and tried out a female CD on one of their flagships.....I personally like Amy...yes, I admit...i wasn't a fan at first but she grew on me. However i just don't think that a female CD wins over the crowd like a male CD....and for all the reason I have said.

While I have a FEW favorite CDs, I would like to mention how impressed I was with Abel Jenney who was on Adventure of Seas when I sailed with him. What impressed me most was he was ORIGINAL. He never tried to be over-the-top funny, or steal the same old lines, and he didn't come across as "fake". He was humble and sincere, and was an interesting person...and he was entertaining in his own way.

He spent a lot of time at our M&M and visited with a lot of people. He even remembered my name later on when I ran into him. That was impressive.

His lecture on his around the world trip on his motorcycle was very interesting too. He's just a own to Earth guy that does his job well, IMO.

That's great that some CDs are hilarious, but they are not really there to be stand up comics.

If there's any one CD that could please all types, Abel would get my vote.

Good to hear.....I'll see what I think of her next week!;):D
Well, this is what I thought of her....she is far from being "one of the best CD" however I did think she was good and didn't find her to be annoying. I expected her to be a bit more glamorous, for such a young woman, she seemed to have no sense of style....she certainly dressed way too matronly which doesn't seem to match with a CD image.

Personally I do like to see a man in the CD role with a great sense of humor along with a British or Aussie accent.

Well spent...........:D

Germ:

Nobody is taking "personal shots" at Amy. Taking a "personal shot" at Amy would be saying she's a horrible person, or something like that. Nobody is saying that.

What people are doing here is critiquing her performance in her professional capacity as a cruise director... just as people might critique the performance of a commedian, singer, or any other public act in an appropriate forum. Discussing the merits and shortcomings of her performance as a cruise director is fair game, especially on a message board titled "Cruise Critic." If Amy didn't want to be a public performer she surely would have sought out a different line of work.

My $.02

We found her very annoying as well.

I also don't think she's as witty as some of the other CDs. During the Quest and Love & Marriage game shows, she seemed to be struggling to come up with an on the spot joke while playing off a passenger's answer.

A bad Cruise Director can break the Quest or Love & Marriage shows. I'm set to sail on 9/22 Oasis. Hope Amy Fickert's not the CD on that sailing based on everything I'm hearing about her. :eek: Well maybe if I have enough to drink, I won't know that she's there. I don't like that over-the-top cheerleader crap either...too old for that nonsense! My favorite CD was actually on the smaller ship, Monarch; love me some Marc "Bing Bong" Walker. He keeps 3-4 day cruises going!:D

Archived