Breakfast on Windows open deck

malcliz

One of the highlights of our recent Azamara cruises on both the Quest and the Journey has been enjoying our breakfast on the open deck of Windows. However, on our recent cruise on the Quest the outside deck was not opened until 7.30 and everyone arriving when the restaurant opened at 7 am had to sit inside. We found this really disappointing when arriving in beautiful ports in glorious weather that we were not able to eat breakfast outside unless we waited until 7.30. On one morning sailing into Corfu, Windows was absolutely packed with everyone up early to appreciate the lovely scenery and we had to wait for a table - even though the outside deck remained closed. We sailed on both the Quest and Journey last year and always had breakfast outside at 7 am. We expressed our disappointment at this new policy to both the Restaurant Manager and the Hotel Director who were extremely helpful but they explained that this is so the 4 cabins underneath were not disturbed by noise. We couldn't understand that as presumably noise affects the cabins underneath the inside of Windows and also the 4 cabins would have equally been disturbed by noise in the evenings for those going to bed early as the outside deck was open quite late. Apart from this we thought the cruise was fantastic in every way and we are already planning our next cruise on the Journey. Does anyone know if the Journey now has a similar policy? If noise is the problem, could something be done on the refit to resolve this?

Hello Malcliz -

Thank you for bringing this new policy to my attention and please give me some time to gather information from our hotel operation's executive about this guideline and the thought-process governing it.

Once I have a reply, I will share with you.

In the meantime, I'm delighted that your vacation was "fantastic in every way" and that we'll have the opportunity of welcoming you onboard again.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

We couldn't understand that as presumably noise affects the cabins underneath the inside of Windows and also the 4 cabins would have equally been disturbed by noise in the evenings for those going to bed early as the outside deck was open quite late.

For the first question, I imagine part (most?) of the issue is the noise coming in through the cabin balcony door/windows from the outside, rather than through the ceiling.

The issue of what's over my head definitely enters into my choice of cabins.

Hello Malcliz -

I've learned from our VP of Hotel Operations that our decision to close off the Window's open deck for breakfast dining is made on an "as-needed" basis when guests occupying the suites and staterooms below contact our hotel staff about the noise level.

If we are required to close off the Windows Cafe Outdoor deck, it will be restricted until 7:30 AM; however, guests will have the option to enjoy breakfast outside on the pool deck.

It seems that each voyage is different and is usually a function of whether the guests below are "light-sleepers." Also, this guideline applies to both vessels.

I hope this explanation was helpful in building your understanding.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Having stayed in an Owners Suite on deck 8 aft, I can totally understand this decision, as any of these heavy deck chairs being moved (dragged) on the wooden deck of Windows wakes you up, big time. I have also stayed underneath the buffet (the inside part of Windows), underneath the pool deck, underneath the gym and right above the theater... deck 8 aft is by far the worst.

Floris

Thank you for the feedback. It is a shame that some of the most expensive suites are situated underneath the open deck. I didn't think the tables were laid up for breakfast on the pool deck but I could be wrong as we didn't really look. We will try that next time.

Thanks to early warning here on cc, I was able to move our rearward suite forward, to avoid the noise problem above us. I feel badly for those without verandas who really want to enjoy an early morning breakfast on deck, but this sounds like a reasonable compromise. Might I point out that I started a thread a few weeks back regarding "bad" rooms. Fortworther and Florisdecort, you might wish to pull it up, and add your room number and comments to the thread, which might be helpful for future bookers.

:)

Thankyou Bill for the explaination. It makes perfect sense. Hopefully we'll have heavy sleepers or early risers on our cruise ;)

Very sorry to learn about this, I so enjoyed early coffee on that aft deck as we cruised past Turkey & through the Greek islands. Definitely hope Journey's Aug 9 cruise has either early risers or non-complainers in those suites!

:)

Very sorry to learn about this, I so enjoyed early coffee on that aft deck as we cruised past Turkey & through the Greek islands. Definitely hope Journey's Aug 9 cruise has either early risers or non-complainers in those suites!

I agree, we have just finished our Greek isles cruise and were not able to use the outer deck until 7.30am which meant we had to wait inside with our coffee and orange juice until it was opened. We did express our disappointment to all and sundry as this is the first time we have experienced this problem on our 4 cruises with Azamara. Surely a bit of soundproofing is all that is required. We have commented about this on our mid cruise comment form and the end of cruise questionnaire as being one of the very few negatives about our cruise

We had a great time otherwise and are looking forward to our next cruise in November

Archived