Transportation for 5 in Spain

Karysa

I found cc more valuable than any travel book that I browsed when planning our Adriatic Sea cruise last summer so I thought I would go back to the well for this years summer holiday to Spain.

Transportation is the most confusing part of the planning for me. The only tour that I want to go on is from Malaga to Rhonda as I have read that the drive is not for the faint of heart. We also would like to visit Granada from Malaga. Is this a doable day trip and can we drive this easily? When we leave Malaga for Seville should we drive or are we better off turning in the rental and taking the train? Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Several years ago we (a family of 5) spent a week in the Andalusia region of Spain. It was a wonderful vacation. We rented a car. It was quite convenient. I saw in the other post that you don't like driving. Seriously I don't think driving in Spain is that different from driving in the US, though it's DH who did the driving, not I ;)

We stayed in the Malaga area but had day trips to Ronda, Granada, Seville and Cordoba. Even though we didn't need to switch hotels, pack, and unpack, it was a lot of driving. Alternatively you can plan your itinerary in a "loop."

I'd be happy to answer any particular questions you have.

Several years ago we (a family of 5) spent a week in the Andalusia region of Spain. It was a wonderful vacation. We rented a car. It was quite convenient. I saw in the other post that you don't like driving. Seriously I don't think driving in Spain is that different from driving in the US, though it's DH who did the driving, not I ;)

We stayed in the Malaga area but had day trips to Ronda, Granada, Seville and Cordoba. Even though we didn't need to switch hotels, pack, and unpack, it was a lot of driving. Alternatively you can plan your itinerary in a "loop."

I'd be happy to answer any particular questions you have.

Thanks so much, here's what I have so far. Flying in to Malaga and will rent a car once we reach our resort in Fuengirola. Staing at resort for a week and hoping to visit Granada and Ronda as day trips as well as the local cities and villages including Mija and Malaga and Marbella. From there we will go to Seville for 3 nights with a stop on the way to visit Cordoba. The bus station apparently has luggage size lockers. After Seville we will take the AVE to Madrid and use that as our base for the last 3 days. We will visit Segovia and Toledo by AVE train as day trips. I read here on cc that there is a train now from Malaga to Ronda so I will look more in to that as I don't want to drive with DH to Ronda. The other question that comes to mind is driving to Granada and doing it ourselves. The drive sounds ok but it is once we get to Granada that has me a little lost. If you have any suggestions on where to park and where to start our day. Should we buy morning tickets or afternoon tickets? Any help would be most appreciated.

Karysa,

It looks like you know that you need to reserve tickets to Alhambra.

We booked the 11am tickets and barely made it. The drive to Granada from Malaga was long (2+ hrs). We got lost when we got down the freeway in Granada! Then we found a parking garage, parked our car there, and took a taxi to Alhambra.

There were more problems when we arrived. First, the machines wouldn't print out our tickets, and we had to wait in line to get help! Finally we got our tickets, ran to the entrance and barely made it. They were very strict about the entrance time. However, it's really worth the effort; the Alhambra was marvelous! Lesson learned: either start very early in the morning or book the afternoon tickets.

Additional information:

1. This site has good info and nice photos: http://www.travelinginspain.com/

2. Cordoba: Definitely visit the Mezquita. The Alcazar de Los Reyes has a very beautiful garden.

3. Seville: Must-sees include the Cathedral and Girada Tower, the Royal Alcazar (similar architecture as the Alhambra) and Plaza de Espana.

4. Spend some time stroll in the old cities of Granada, Cordoba or Seville.

5. If you drive, in Ronda there is a parking lot near the bull ring. In Granada, Cordoba or Seville there are parking lots well marked. Many of those are underground parking garages. Parking fees are reasonable (don't remember the actual amount, but they are not expensive).

6. If you have more time in Malaga, you can also visit Gibraltar in a day trip.

Karysa,

It looks like you know that you need to reserve tickets to Alhambra.

We booked the 11am tickets and barely made it. The drive to Granada from Malaga was long (2+ hrs). We got lost when we got down the freeway in Granada! Then we found a parking garage, parked our car there, and took a taxi to Alhambra.

There were more problems when we arrived. First, the machines wouldn't print out our tickets, and we had to wait in line to get help! Finally we got our tickets, ran to the entrance and barely made it. They were very strict about the entrance time. However, it's really worth the effort; the Alhambra was marvelous! Lesson learned: either start very early in the morning or book the afternoon tickets.

Additional information:

1. This site has good info and nice photos: http://www.travelinginspain.com/

2. Cordoba: Definitely visit the Mezquita. The Alcazar de Los Reyes has a very beautiful garden.

3. Seville: Must-sees include the Cathedral and Girada Tower, the Royal Alcazar (similar architecture as the Alhambra) and Plaza de Espana.

4. Spend some time stroll in the old cities of Granada, Cordoba or Seville.

5. If you drive, in Ronda there is a parking lot near the bull ring. In Granada, Cordoba or Seville there are parking lots well marked. Many of those are underground parking garages. Parking fees are reasonable (don't remember the actual amount, but they are not expensive).

6. If you have more time in Malaga, you can also visit Gibraltar in a day trip.

That is a helpful website. Thanks. I think that we will take a tour to Granada as it will be a 10 hr day and this way it will be more relaxing. I think that we will drive to the Malaga train station, park our car and take the train to Ronda and do it ourselves. Thanks for all of the suggestions. They pretty much match what is on my list. The getting from place to place and reserving train tickets etc in advance is the last and most difficult part of planning this trip to me. You helped me make my mind up about Granada I really think that we will enjoy our day better if we go on a tour to this city. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.:)

.... I think that we will drive to the Malaga train station, park our car and take the train ....

Just a couple of comments from our driving into Malaga to the train station a few weeks ago. We rented a car from the main train station, in the shopping center and drove out of Malaga, which wasn't bad, just a straight shot out to the highway. Getting back was another story! Since the train station is in the middle of the city, and we aren't fluent in Spanish, finding it was a real challenge, along with finding a gas station to fill up the rental car.

Unless you are a good city driver and have a good map (or GPS), my suggestion would be to drive to the airport, park there and take the local train in to the rail station. It would only take about 15 mins and 1.30 Euro each way and it drops you inside the same shopping center. But if you do drive in, I assume there are parking garages but wasn't looking, so that could be another thing to look into.

Other than that, loved the whole area and driving outside the city was easy and beautiful (if you stay off the Toll Road) along the coast. Note on the Toll road, look for A-7 for non-tolls and AP-7 for tolls. Very easy to end up on the Toll road even if you don't intend because the road just splits without much warning.

Just a couple of comments from our driving into Malaga to the train station a few weeks ago. We rented a car from the main train station, in the shopping center and drove out of Malaga, which wasn't bad, just a straight shot out to the highway. Getting back was another story! Since the train station is in the middle of the city, and we aren't fluent in Spanish, finding it was a real challenge, along with finding a gas station to fill up the rental car.

Unless you are a good city driver and have a good map (or GPS), my suggestion would be to drive to the airport, park there and take the local train in to the rail station. It would only take about 15 mins and 1.30 Euro each way and it drops you inside the same shopping center. But if you do drive in, I assume there are parking garages but wasn't looking, so that could be another thing to look into.

Other than that, loved the whole area and driving outside the city was easy and beautiful (if you stay off the Toll Road) along the coast. Note on the Toll road, look for A-7 for non-tolls and AP-7 for tolls. Very easy to end up on the Toll road even if you don't intend because the road just splits without much warning.

Thank you for the tips. My DH just downloaded Spain maps in his GPS so that along with a local map should help us.

• 3 weeks later...
The road to Ronda is fine, just full of turns, some hairpin, as you wind up and down. I'd rather be in a car than on a bus, to be honest!

Ronda is a special place for us (we spent a few days there about 10 years ago) and we recently rented a car in Malaga and drove there during a port day. The road is quite good (much of it is a 4 lane highway) and its an easy (but long) drive. But Ronda should be considered a full day trip...although you might get back early enough to spend a little time much closer to the ship in a place such as Porto Banus.

Hank

Karysa,

We got lost when we got down the freeway in Granada! Then we found a parking garage, parked our car there, and took a taxi to Alhambra.

There are plenty of car parking spaces just next to Alhambra entance. Arrive, park, have a nice (bit expensive) lunch at one of the restaurants beside the entrance, then go in and enjoy your visit.

Archived