Non-Alcoholic Beer and Wine

katydyd

Ok, I've tried searching, but can't find an answer to this question.

I'll be travelling with my 19 y.o. son on the Summit shortly. I know that he is unable to purchase alcohol on board, but if he were to want to try a non-alcoholic beer or wine with dinner, can he get one?

I'm thinking that it's non-alcoholic so he should be able to, but I could also understand if the cruiseline didn't want to do that because of it "looking" as if he were consuming alcohol.

The name "non-alcoholic" is a bit of a misnomer as there is some alcohol even in the N/A products. They are not available on the non-alcoholic beverage packages, and it can be inferred from this that apparently Celebrity considers them as alcoholic beverages.

I didn't even think of checking the package lists. Thanks. Honestly, it's probably moot, cause I don't see him wanting to, but it was one of those things that occurred to me, and I couldn't come up with a solid answer on my own.

I did see one thread recently where a poster was told she could sign the waiver on a Summit sailing, but I'm pretty confident that was a bit of mis-information from the customer service rep.

You are probably right about the CSR being in error. The waiver can only be signed when you are departing a port where the drinking age is lower than in the states. When ships sail from South America, or most of Europe, the waiver can be signed but not when Summit departs from Cape Liberty.

I didn't even think of checking the package lists. Thanks. Honestly, it's probably moot, cause I don't see him wanting to, but it was one of those things that occurred to me, and I couldn't come up with a solid answer on my own.

I did see one thread recently where a poster was told she could sign the waiver on a Summit sailing, but I'm pretty confident that was a bit of mis-information from the customer service rep.

Alcohol waivers can be signed...when a young adult (18-20yo) is traveling with parents...but only on certain itineraries....and I don't believe Summit sails any of those itins. (Europe, Australia, South America)

as cruisestitch just noted !!...beat me to it !!

The name "non-alcoholic" is a bit of a misnomer as there is some alcohol even in the N/A products. They are not available on the non-alcoholic beverage packages, and it can be inferred from this that apparently Celebrity considers them as alcoholic beverages.

I booked the premium non-alco package for our cruise in October, and asked Celebrity about non-alcoholic wine. This was their response:

"Unfortunately, non alcoholic wines are not part of either of our non alcoholic packages. This is due to the cost per drink being more for non alcoholic wine than for the other beverages listed in the package. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause and thank you for your understanding."

Clearly, this decision is based on cost, not on whether the drinks contain a trace of alcohol. It might be worth contacting Celebrity direct for clarification.

One reason is that you put your cruise in jeopardy:

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age. Even if all criteria are met, shipboard personnel may elect, and have the option to, not grant the waiver or any such drinking privileges. The waiver may not apply when the vessel is in certain territorial waters."

When my kids were younger (but over 18), I would buy the beer or drink myself and then just hand it to them - usually in front of the server.

No one said "boo"

HORRIBLE advice to give others!!! People have been booted off the ship in a foreign port for this. Even if your children are able to legally consume alcohol in their home country, this is not permitted on Celebrity (aside from select sailings where a waiver may be signed). Consider yourself lucky there were no ramifications for what you did, but please do not encourage other people to put themselves in a position where they may be booted from the ship.

Well, thanks for the advice, Larry, but I wasn't really looking for advice for how to get my son alcohol on board. We'll share some adult beverages while off the ship in Bermuda. We both knew the rules when we decided on this trip, and he is perfectly fine with them. As I said, this was more of an academic inquiry on how the "non-alcoholic" beer and wine purchases were handled.

Not even your concience :):):):)

Given your conscience wouldn't give two thoughts about those over 18 and under 21 having children, marrying, driving a vehicle and no one bats an eyelid them joining the armed services and possibly dying for you....why should it for a simple thing like a drink if they are responsible... :-)p

Given your conscience wouldn't give two thoughts about those over 18 and under 21 having children, marrying, driving a vehicle and no one bats an eyelid them joining the armed services and possibly dying for you....why should it for a simple thing like a drink if they are responsible... :-)p

This sounds like a argument voiced quite strongly in the USA in the early to mid 1970's. Lots of people paid attention to the argument and many states lowered the drinking age to 18. Apparently things didn't work out well overall as a few years later there was a huge reversal in the trend and by the mid 1980's I don't think there were any states left with a drinking age under 21.

But all this is neither here nor there as I don't think this is really the appropriate forum for philosophical discussions about what age is appropriate for drinking. Rather it is an appropriate place to discuss the rules and/or laws that are actually in place today.

Personally, I construed Cruisestitch's comment about "conscience" to be more of a statement about blatant disregard for laws, rules and contracts one has agreed to than it being a statement about the appropriateness of what the drinking age should be.

We don't drink alcohol and drink non-alcoholic wine (don't care for beer) and while we have not taken any minors on Celebrity cruises, we have done so on Royal Caribbean and have had no trouble with them being served the non-alcoholic wine at dinner. In fact, the waitstaff would bring the wine glasses for everyone at the table, including the children and would serve them the non-alcoholic wine, even refilling the glasses, without our ever asking for the children to be included (and I'm talking about pre-teens too, not an older teenager). So I don't think there would be any issue with ordering non-alcoholic wine or beer.

The best thing to do is just to ask the waitstaff and see if there is any issue. But based on our experiences, I doubt there would be any issue.

One other option to consider is a VIRGIN blended drink, like a strawberry daquiri or mai tai or some other drink. That is what I drink with my D. She is now 22 but we both prefer that & have been drinking these when she was a teen & still do at restaurants that serve them well-prepared. There should be not problem getting or consuming such drinks.

I knew mocktails were included, but it's interesting to hear about the "mock" wine. I'm planning on asking when we go to dinner the first night. I'll report back what the outcome was. Only 10 days until we'll be onboard!!

I have purchased the premium non-alcohol package already for him, because I knew he'd want virgin frozen drinks. It'll be really nice if he can enjoy a glass of "wine" with dinner.

Archived