Tours from Marseille

ShellDil

I think I've read what I could find here on recommendations on what to see when docking in Marseille, but I'm still looking for a bit of advice.

We're visiting next June, travelling with my kids, who will be 14 and 12 and my parents who are in their late 60's but active. It's our first trip to the area, so we want to see as much as we're able to. That being said, we have decided to do a private tour. We're in port from 10 - 7. The tour operator has suggested starting with Arles and Pont du Guard and then going to Avignon or Les Baux, and then see if we have time for anything else. They have asked if there is anything we don't want to miss.

From what I've read, Les Baux is not to be missed. It seems to me that Les Baux should take more priority.

Since they seem to be putting the itinerary in our hands, could anyone make some suggestions? Is Arles mainly more ruins? If so, we may have had our fill of ruins between Rome, Pompeii and we're also going to Ephesus.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. We have a lot of time to plan, but I want to make this trip of a lifetime, just that - for both my parents, and my kids!

Hi Shell,

When I first read your post, I thought I wrote it :) I'm also traveling next June, with my two sons, ages 12 and 14, and our two moms, in their mid '60s! How funny! We're on the Norwegian Epic, and I also don't want to overdo the ruins. Which tour operator are you using? I'm curious to see what responses you receive.

When I first read your post, I thought I wrote it :) I'm also traveling next June, with my two sons, ages 12 and 14, and our two moms, in their mid '60s! How funny! We're on the Norwegian Epic, and I also don't want to overdo the ruins. Which tour operator are you using? I'm curious to see what responses you receive.

We're on the Epic as well! Which sailing are you on? We leave out of Rome on 6/19, so we'll be in Marseille on 6/21/13. My son will be just about 14 (his birthday is in August) and my daughter will be turning 12 in July.

We're doing sort of back to back cruises - we're on the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas from 6/6 - 6/16 to get to Greece and Turkey (also R/T from Rome) and then we're spending a few days in Venice before sailing on the Epic. We found this to work out better than a longer cruise.

Anyway - maybe we're on the same Epic cruise! And I too am looking forward to see my responses!

We're on the same ship! I actually right now have us sailing out of Barcelona on the 16th, but plan on switching to a Rome departure on the 19th, so that my son can meet with a music teacher there. One of my sons will have just turned 15, and the other will be 13 1/2 when we sail. One of the reasons I picked this ship is so they can be in the teen club together; the age range is 13-17, and they don't separate into 12-14 and 15-17 groups like Royal Caribbean. Although to be honest, with the busy port-intensive itinerary, I don't know how much time they will actually be spending in the teen club! They will probably spend most of their time onboard at the waterslides, playing table tennis, etc. I have been to Europe several times; I worked there for a year, and spent a junior year abroad in Spain. My husband went once before, when our son was little we rented a VW van and camped around Europe for 6 weeks. My husband's mother has never been to Europe before, and she is the primary reason we chose this cruise. She really wants to visit Provence and Tuscany. My husband and I are treating everyone so it is quite a splurge for us, so I am hoping to really chose the best quality and value shore excursions for our limited time and budget. Let me know what you are able to find!

We think your tour operator is giving you excellent advice (and that from a guy who does not often like any tour). The combination of Les Baux, Arles and Pont du Gard is a terrific combination that would easily fill a day. Your driver might even be able to give you a quick stop in St Remy (this is where we have rented an apartment in the past) so you can see a typical small Provence city. Pont du Gard is quite special and one of "not to be missed" places for anyone in the vicinity. You might want to do a little research on both Avignon and Arles and choose between the two (your tour guide could do either place in conjuction with Les Baux and Pond du Gard). We tend to favor the old walled city part of Avignon over Arles...but this is really one of those personal preference things since they are both larger cities with their charms.

Hank

We're on the same ship! I actually right now have us sailing out of Barcelona on the 16th, but plan on switching to a Rome departure on the 19th, so that my son can meet with a music teacher there. One of my sons will have just turned 15, and the other will be 13 1/2 when we sail. One of the reasons I picked this ship is so they can be in the teen club together; the age range is 13-17, and they don't separate into 12-14 and 15-17 groups like Royal Caribbean. Although to be honest, with the busy port-intensive itinerary, I don't know how much time they will actually be spending in the teen club! They will probably spend most of their time onboard at the waterslides, playing table tennis, etc. I have been to Europe several times; I worked there for a year, and spent a junior year abroad in Spain. My husband went once before, when our son was little we rented a VW van and camped around Europe for 6 weeks. My husband's mother has never been to Europe before, and she is the primary reason we chose this cruise. She really wants to visit Provence and Tuscany. My husband and I are treating everyone so it is quite a splurge for us, so I am hoping to really chose the best quality and value shore excursions for our limited time and budget. Let me know what you are able to find!

Hi! I did start a roll call for this sailing, but so far I'm the only one there! Here's the link (I think!) if you want to join in!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1664780

So far I've booked a full day tour with Barcelona Day Tours. And I'm looking at this tour here with Provence-Connection Tours. They've been very prompt to respond.

Maybe we can come up with some other tour ideas on the roll call.

I agree 100% with Hank. We loved Marseille as port to see Provence with our kids. It was the best surprise of our vacation as we did a private tour with Provence Reservation to Arles, les Baux, and the Point du Gard. We added a couple from the roll call to make the price work. We loved all three stops. It's a long day, but well worth it. I think price was €480 for six of us.

My husband and I will be cruising on he epic this coming October. I'd like to know who the tour operator you mention in your post for Provence marseille is. Thank you.

We just booked our tour with http://www.provence-connection-tours.com

They have been very responsive in their email communications and offered suggestions as to the best way to make the most of our day in port.

We booked the 8 hr private tour that they offer.

Hello HLitner---I've read opinions that said if you are in Provence for the first time....do not miss...Aix-en-Provence. True ?. Thanks.

Aix is certainly one of more interesting cities in Provence. But we cannot agree that it's a "do not miss" for a first visit. Much depends on where your starting point is (such as Marseille), how much time you have, the availability of transportation, and most important your personal preference. Personally, we enjoy being outside of the larger cities (such as Aix) but if you want to focus on the larger cities I would think the big three (within easy range of Marseille) would be Aix en Provence, Arles and Avignon. If you want to go to smaller towns we would probably put Les Baux at the top of the heap (although we really enjoy renting in nearby St Remy). Wine lovers might consider the Rhone Valley as the "do not miss" part of Provence and prefer being in a town such as Gigondas or Chateauneuf du Pape much more important then a place like Aix. In simple terms there is no easy answer to your question :)

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shell,

Do you want to see if you can add our group to your tour, and maybe we can all get a discount? I read on Tripadvisor that they sometime do two vans, with one guide on each. We are also interested in Les Baux, and maybe seeing some typical provençal towns. Avignon and Pont du Gard are also possibilities. Think about it, and let us know :)

Laurie in Carlsbad, CA

Hi Laurie,

I'd be glad to see if we can add you! Are you a group of 5?

We have a very, very quiet roll call on the roll call boards. Why don't you check it out. We can work on the plans and catch up over there. If you need the link let me know.

Shelley

Archived