How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Mary, when I first started doing online genealogy about 15 or so years ago there was very little available. I can't remember now how I found it, but there was an e-mail list of people around the world with the surname Glass (again, my birth name). Actually the people on the list were essentially from Canada, the US, maybe Australia (can't remember) and New Zealand. The list was moderated by a guy who lived in New Zealand.

I have been so fortunate to go to Scotland 6 or 7 times. Several times I've gone mainly to go on on a pilgrimage to the Isle of Iona (look it up) and to stay for a week as a part of the Iona Community's "study" weeks. I feel like I've gone home when I go there.

Beth

sorry kids - trying to pack for all our destinations and finally, got all my ironing done and one big suitcase is finished - I have my roller=carryon to go and that's it - I try to pack a few clothes in my carryon in case something happens to my main one - Narce was done several days ago - and he's the one who works every day and i am retired --- oh well, I can goof off, he can't - so I suffer by doing last min things!! ha!ha

Beth - you'll be leaving soon too - carol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just popping back in so that this thread doesn't disappear off the page.

School has started again here. The kids started back last Thursday (at our school). They seem largely keen to be back. I have a class of 26 year 4's (8 going on 9 year olds). A nice wee bunch.

We are having a day or so of much-needed rain here. Our grass certainly needs some water. Still warm though. More sun is forecast after tomorrow.

We saw on the news that your big super bowl game was on today. They showed an advertisement that was played. Clearly the ads at half time are a very big deal. It all looks very exciting. I have never been able to figure the rules of American football though. I don't know who won, but hopefully at least one of you will have supported the winning team.

I hope you have a great day wherever you are. :)

Mary

I was also thinking about this thread yesterday and that it needed a lift.

Mary, it sounds like you're off to a good start with the school year. You said you don't understand American football. I don't understand what we call soccer although it's played here a lot these days. I don't understand rugby, either.

I haven't watched a lot of professional football lately, but I did watch the Super Bowl last night and rooted for the Ravens. It was a great game regardless of who won.

I also thought Byonce put on one of the best half time shows I've seen. I liked it, not just because of her, but because there wasn't a cast of thousands, and she simply got out there and did what she does.

Many of the commercials were very good, but as a farmer's daughter the one that got to me was the RAM commercial "God made a farmer."

Hope everyone is out having a good winter or summer depending on where you live.

Beth

Reading about your ancestors is fascinating. I feel like if we were to research back far enough, some of mine could have known some of yours.

Tom -we are "Browns" on my husband's side. Pretty common name though. That must have been tough on your daughter and all of you, to discover there was CF in the family. I am going to read up a bit more on that.

Beth -my mother is from Scotland and lives in NZ now. I have never been there but it is a trip that might be somewhere in the future. My dad was from Ireland.

We have no trips planned for the near future as hubby was made redundant so he is doing whatever he can (labouring jobs for friends and friends of friends) for a while. Hopefully he will get another job in the near future, although all this manual labour is making him very fit so that's good!

We took our DD and her BF (he lives with us) to Disneyland CA and Las Vegas last July when she turned 21, and DH and I went on our 2nd cruise this time last year, so we don't feel hard done by. We try to just "go with the flow" in the meantime.

Carol, I think you are home but about to go off again. Have a great time!

Have a great day everyone, wherever you are! :)

Now to have fun with the fonts! Ha ha ha!

Mary

Hi Mary

It was a very difficult time for us when Julia was born in 2000. She had an intestinal blockage called maeconium(common to CF babies). She had to be operated on at 18hrs into her life and spent 11 weeks in the NICU recovering. She almost died--going from 5lbs.13oz to 3lbs12oz. She is now 12, in the seventh grade and takes karate. No hospital stays for 2yrs(except for an over nite to have a PICC line put in).

CF is found almost exclusively among Caucasians--w. N. Europeans and descendants being more dominant. Ireland has the most CF patients per capita. There are about 70,000 patients worldwide--30,000 in the US.

We have just returned from our Panama Canal cruise and I will be sending my pics to Snapfish. Once I have done that, I can send a link to those who want to see our pics--including 1 of us w. Ricky Ricardo, our guide in Costa Rica. He says that he is the REAL Ricky Ricardo--the other guy was Desi Arnaz. I highly recommend him .

Tom:):)

I better NOT up my family tree - I have too many relatives that I know of already!! ha!ha! lately, I have been connecting with a lot of my Dad's cousins' children - my age... and it's been fun trying to figure out how we are related, who we are connected to, etc etc.. One lady has been trying to get in touch with our aunt, and I had to tell her sadly that our aunt passed last Sept - we both knew our aunt very well, but not each other, so now we have gotten acquainted and it feels so good to know I have a cousin, maybe she is my 3rd or 4th, but that's ok, we are of the same last name (maiden names) and of the same blood so we will be close from now on - she has been in Vancouver for over 40 yrs...

Tom and LIz - I totally support the idea of donating your organs - I hope your grandkids will outlive the forecast and go on and on with more years than what the medical folks are saying -

Still cold here - 30's at night mid 40's in the afternoons - my hands are cold altho' our heater is on - even typing isn't getting my fingers warmed up!

Maybe I should try drinking a hot cup of cocoa or coffee and hold that mug to get some heat on my hands!!!ha!ha!

carol

Hi Carol

You asked for info and pics on our trip. I started a review see

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37076405#post37076405

As for pics, send me an email tjkeating_2000 at yahoo dot com

I will send you a Snapfish link.

I will add to the review as time permits.

Tom:)

hello everyone,my dh and i will be sailing on the fantasy in april 16 has anyone ever stayed in stateroom u101 i was trying to find pictures of that cabin but couldn't if you do can you post them please.:):confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all well.

It is still beautiful summer weather here, although autumn officially started on March 1st.

We went to an outdoor concert two weeks ago -some of our old favourites -America, Bachman Turner and Pat Benatar. It was lovely to be in a crowd of similar age to us and reliving some of our youth!

Last Sunday we went up Rangitoto (an extinct volcanic island in our harbour). It was really hot but the views from the top were worth the trek. So, today (Sunday) we decided to laze around the house.

Tom, I would love to see your Panama cruise photos.

I hope you all enjoy your Sunday as it arrives, wherever you are.

Mary :)

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all well.

It is still beautiful summer weather here, although autumn officially started on March 1st.

We went to an outdoor concert two weeks ago -some of our old favourites -America, Bachman Turner and Pat Benatar. It was lovely to be in a crowd of similar age to us and reliving some of our youth!

Last Sunday we went up Rangitoto (an extinct volcanic island in our harbour). It was really hot but the views from the top were worth the trek. So, today (Sunday) we decided to laze around the house.

Tom, I would love to see your Panama cruise photos.

I hope you all enjoy your Sunday as it arrives, wherever you are.

Mary :)

Send me your email and I will send you the link.

Hi Mary

It was a very difficult time for us when Julia was born in 2000. She had an intestinal blockage called maeconium(common to CF babies). She had to be operated on at 18hrs into her life and spent 11 weeks in the NICU recovering. She almost died--going from 5lbs.13oz to 3lbs12oz. She is now 12, in the seventh grade and takes karate. No hospital stays for 2yrs(except for an over nite to have a PICC line put in).

CF is found almost exclusively among Caucasians--w. N. Europeans and descendants being more dominant. Ireland has the most CF patients per capita. There are about 70,000 patients worldwide--30,000 in the US.

We have just returned from our Panama Canal cruise and I will be sending my pics to Snapfish. Once I have done that, I can send a link to those who want to see our pics--including 1 of us w. Ricky Ricardo, our guide in Costa Rica. He says that he is the REAL Ricky Ricardo--the other guy was Desi Arnaz. I highly recommend him .

Tom:):)

Hi

I posted 3 pics to my review see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1787067

Thanks Tom!

I enjoyed viewing your photos very much!

Mary

You're Welcome. We plan to see Polar bears at Churchill, Manitoba, Canada in the fall. We are hoping for some nice pics.

i'LL be back posting regularly - I lost my Mom and her services were this past week so I am feeling sad -- I know the hurt will never go away but hoping I can be ok just a tad soon... at least to function a little more -- thanx everyone.. carol

i'LL be back posting regularly - I lost my Mom and her services were this past week so I am feeling sad -- I know the hurt will never go away but hoping I can be ok just a tad soon... at least to function a little more -- thanx everyone.. carol

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Tom:(

Oh that is so sad. I am very sorry. :(

Mary

Thanks Carol.

As for marriage, Liz and I will celebrate 43rd anniversary in March. I have 2 siblings, both of which are attending the reunion.

Beth, Liz' ancestors in the US go back to about 1640s. There was a Brown who married ca 1800 who had many children- 1 of which is Liz' ancestor and another was John Brown of Harper's Ferry fame. Liz' gr-grandfather was a doctor in Elmira. One of his patients was Samuel Clemens.

Tom

Happy Anniversary Tom and Liz.... celebrate for the entire month of March - heck... celebrate EVERYDAY!!! Congrats on the 43 yrs -

Carol

Thank You for your words of kindness toward the loss of my Mom - yes, it's been very very hard and I miss her so much - however, I have so many happy memories of her and I smile when I think of those!!

Beth... are you back yet? your trip sounded super exciting!!

Carol

Happy Anniversary Tom and Liz.... celebrate for the entire month of March - heck... celebrate EVERYDAY!!! Congrats on the 43 yrs -

Carol

Thanks Carol. We are going out to dinner on Thurs--married 3-21-70.

Thanks Carol. We are going out to dinner on Thurs--married 3-21-70.

Oh Wow!!! I timed that one right!! only 2 days ahead instead of late!

Enjoy... hubby and I have been married or 37 yrs - jan 1976... seems like it was only yesterday - !

have fun and enjoy! carol

Happy Anniversary Tom and Liz! 43 years is a wonderful milestone.:)

Mary

Hi

Thanks Mary. Belated Anniversary wishes to Carol. We have booked Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos trip for Mar 2015--45th anniversary. We enjoy retirement.

I worked rotating shifts for 33 yrs and I was frequently 4-midnight on our anniversary.