Miami or Fort Lauderdale Airport?

I am looking to cruise from Fort Lauderdale over Christmas. This will be my first cruise embarking from a US port although it will be my seventh cruise over all.

I will be flying in from London the day before the cruise sets sale.

I am not sure what the best option is. There does not appear to be direct flights to FL International Airport but several options to Miami International Airport. I would very much prefer a direct flight. In which case how easy is the journey from Miami International to the Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port.

If I decide to fly to Miami, would I be better to stay near the airport in Miami and make the trip to Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port the next day or do the trip to Fort Lauderdale when I land and stay overnight near the cruise port?

Just to mention I am able-bodied and independent minded so I prefer to arrange my own flights and / or accommodation. However, on this occasion would I be better to use a cruise line extended package.

I will be travelling alone.

You should fly to Miami as that is where you can get direct flights.

If you arrive early in the day I would just head over to Fort Lauderdale and check into a hotel there.

Many people stay at the Embassy Suites which is a short drive the next morning by taxi over to the port in Fort Lauderdale.

If you get in late in the evening then you might just want to stay near the Miami Airport.

Keith

This year, we flew into Miami, grabbed a shuttle to Ft Lauderdale and stayed the night there at the Hyatt Place. Primarily because we could get a direct flight at a time that we needed.

Next year, we are flying directly to Ft. Lauderdale because we were able to get a direct flight. Found a hotel that has a shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port.

If you're interested in the free shuttle to the cruise port, we're staying at the Hampton Inn on SW 12th. I doubt that they'd pick you up in Miami but at least you'd have a way to the port.

I would do whatever make life easiest for you. I would pick direct flights everytime! Less hassle and less chance of lost luggage.

Have a great trip regardless!

Ft. Lauderdale s airport was alot less hectic than Miami..as with your case we chose MIA cuz they had non-stop s from the westcoast..

due to the timing though..we did fly into Ft. Lauderdale with one stop but, did nt change planes..then took a non-stop back home from MIA..

late flight, stay a nearby hotel..early, cab it to a hotel near the port..

Archived