What will weather be like in Mediterranean in late October

skiladyldp

Hello I need some help from those of you that have cruised before on the

Mediterranean. We have never been to Europe or a cruise so I am not certain what type of clothes to bring. Our cruise on the Riveria begins in Rome and ends in Venice. Since this is fall I am assuming from what I have read on weather reports, to expect cool mornings and evenings with temperate weather in the daytime. What is it like on the ship in the evenings? I am thinking of bringing some capri pants, jeans, tops and sweaters for daytime. For night time wear, dresses or skirts with a light sweater or shawl. I will bring one medium type coat and one light jacket. I will probably pack a swimsuit and coverup. Am I missing anything?

No one can predict the weather sometimes it can be hot in October.

Last year we sailed Med late October and had great weather. Yes the mornings and evenings can be a little cool, so pack something warm.

We just layer and then take off as the heat builds.

Most ships we find anyway have cool air conditioning, we in the UK are not used to this. So always pack a shawl or pashmina to wear.

I am thinking the weather will be very similiar to what I have in San Jose Californina. Sometimes in October you can swim in the pool it is so hot. Mornings and nights can be cool but occasionally we will have a week of balmy weather we call it Indian summer.

I am thinking the weather will be very similiar to what I have in San Jose Californina. Sometimes in October you can swim in the pool it is so hot. Mornings and nights can be cool but occasionally we will have a week of balmy weather we call it Indian summer. I live 1/2 time in Hawaii and am almost always in shorts and flip flops there or in California.

I think the weather will be beautiful. Been there several times in October. Not too hot, not too cold. Bring a jacket for evenings. It is a great time to go; the summer lines have gone. The non air conditioned building aren't too hot. You may have a day or two of rough seas because of the climate changing, but probably not. Have a wonderful time.

There is often a big difference between northern and southern Italy so as you go south from Rome expect slightly warmer weather, turning cooler as you head north up the Adriatic. Also remember it is usually cooler at the sea than it is inland unless you are going to the mountains! I would expect temperatures in the low 20's in the day time in the south (and be delighted if it was 25 or so) and in the teens at night... And in the igh teens in the day in the North (Venice) and low teens at night.

And rememebr - it rains in the autumn...

Thanks so much for the information everyone. I think my plan on how to pack is good. I will add a rain coat as was suggested.

I would suggest a layering scheme instead of a heavier coat-- I have lived in San Diego, CA and in Arizona and I have found that if I take a lightweight (not too warm) fleece jacket that is fitted and then add a rainjacket that is not lined but is waterrepellant and has a hood, it gives me lightweight items to pack in my suitcase and it also gives me the flexibility of wearing one or the other or both together. It has worked very well on the last few cruises we have been on with the kind of weather that you will have in the Med in October. If the temps look a little cooler before you actually leave, you can substitute a different fleece jacket (still lightweight for packing) that would be a little warmer than the first one that I mentioned. Look at L.L.Bean for a variety of fleece jackets if you don't have one.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise,

Billie

We did the reverse Venice to Rome last Nov. We were never too cool. We dined outside in St Marks square late afternoon before embarking, walked around Dubrovnic with a light jacket, toured Kotor dressed the same. In Sicily it rained about half the day but was not cold. We spent 3 hours walking around Pompeii without a jacket. same in Luca in the north and Monte Carlo and lastly Rome. I thought it was perfect sightseeing weather and no crowds. We may have been a little lucky with the temps and rain but it certainly was not cold. Enjoy.

...we were on the same cruise as globevest, we started our trip several weeks prior to the cruise, arriving in Rome on October 30th. The weather was magnificent, it was 74 degrees in Rome and we hadn't brought along warm weather clothes, so it was time to roll up the sleeves and leave the jackets in the hotel room. In Florence, five days later, the weather was equally mild, with temps in the high 60's and only one day where it rained for a couple hours. In Venice, a week before we left on the Insignia, it was a bit cooler as you're further north, but it was sunny and glorious every day. On our cruise we only had one day of rain in Sicily while visiting Taormina, all the other days had marvelous weather. I wouldn't worry about traveling in Italy during the fall months. The scenery is even more spectacular with all the fall colors showing off...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Imagineer thank you for your comments. I am going to bring one medium type coat and a fleece. Both will have hoods so that should be good. For night time I have long sweaters to cover skirts and dresses. I am going to pack jeans and capri pants. I think that should do it.

Archived