Looking for Bangkok Hotel Recommendation

suncityga

We are looking for help in Laem Chabang/Bangkok.

We will be overnight in Laem Chabang in March 2013 and we are evaluating the option of staying overnight in Bangkok to maximize our sightseeing time in the city. I did a quick thread search, but could not find anything recent... would appreciate hearing from previous cruisers who have done the hotel overnight.

We have also been looking at private tour companies... has anyone ever done a Bangkok private tour/hotel package? Is it better to arrange for the private tour company to pick us up at Laem Chabang or to meet them in Bangkok after using the ship's shuttle?

Thank you very much :)

We are also looking for a good reasonable hotel in Bangkok..doesn't have to be fancy, but good location important. What area of Bangkok is the best to be in for easy access to a lot of things..not necessarily the skytram and subway, but walking..

We will stay right in Bangkok city 3 nights pre-cruise!

They seem to be filling up for our April dates!

Thanks,

Sherry

You'll find lots of knowledgeable first hand discussion of Bangkok hotels etc. on the Fodors forums. Start with this thread http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bangkok-budget-hotel-or-reasonably-priced-apartment.cfm . If you click on the various posters names you'll get to many more threads.

The main choices are between hotels on the river (get to the main sites by boat) or in the shopping areas, like Sukhumvit (get around on the Skytrain). Some, like the Centre Point Silom, are close to both boat and Skytrain stops.

We toured Thailand with Globus, who put us up at the Majestic in the Sukhumit area. It was satfisfactory. We are going back to Bangkok next Feb. and are staying at the Peninsula for $279. a night on Expedia. The last time we stayed there we had wished we were staying on the river. It just seemed to be a more interesting area Getting around is not that difficult. Lots of different types of transportation. Try them all, the experience is worth it.:)

lesley

I would stay downtown as the drive is at least 90 minutes in each way.

There are so many hotels to choose from at various price points.

I would start with Trip Advisor.

We stayed at the Peninsula. It was wonderful.

Keith

We debated on the Peninsula but decided to try The Landmark which, unfortunately was unavailable during our stay. So we chose the

Ariyasomvilla which is a very small hotel in the Sukumvit area.

Good price and seems charming. Used Expedia, too. Good reccomendations. The Peninsula was just a little high for us as we decided to splurge in Dubai at the end of our trip.

Thanks, all,

Sherry

The last time we stayed there we had wished we were staying on the river. It just seemed to be a more interesting area Getting around is not that difficult. Lots of different types of transportation. Try them all, the experience is worth it.:)

lesley

The first time I went to Bangkok, I stayed in Silom, and we're booked on the river this time. The boat taxi is really convenient and can get you to many of the top attractions and other transit.

I don't have a specific recommendation for a hotel, we're staying at the Hilton on the river to use points.

For 4+ star hotel rooms at a discount, look at AsiaRooms and Agoda -both hotel booking engines heavily focused on Asia/Middle East. Very often, AsiaRooms has packages that include breakfast at some of the better hotels.

Sheraton Royal Orchid and of course, the Peninsula are two of my favorites in Bangkok. One on one side of the river, one on the other.

Sheraton Royal Orchid is on almost all the hotel booking engines-Travelocity, Hotels.com, etc. etc. The Pen, not so much. But I have stayed at the Pen via an AsiaRooms booking with breakfast package numerous times for under $200.

The Sheraton Royal Orchid is directly adjacent to the dock for all the dinner cruises. They also have a very good travel agent on the first floor of the hotel that can book most anything you want at a very reasonable price. Their buffet breakfast is very good. And their imported from Australia filet is to die for-one of the best filets I have eaten worldwide.

The Pen is old world ambiance. Concierge service is top of the line, as expected from the #4 hotel in the world. Drinks and food are pricey. But oh, the service and ambiance.

The new Furama hotels in Bangkok are worth a look. Furama is an upscale brand in the Asian market based out of Singapore. The decor is very "W" and upscale contemporary. The Furama resort on China Beach in Vietnam is one of my favorite hotels in the world (and I have stayed in a lot of them-usually about 150-200 nights per year).

Enjoy!!!

I second the Pathumwan Princess. Great access to the Skytrain plus it's on the junction so you can easily get around Bangkok without a tour including the Royal Palace, Wat Pho and Chatachuk Market (weekends).

Cheaper, but also with direct access to the Skytrain (though not on the junction), is the Asia Hotel. Make sure you book a superior room though.

I can also recommend the Nancy Chandler map which shows you how to get from A to B easily.

The record will show that greatam and I have had our squabbles, but the guy (?) is a treasure. Knows what he is talking about on a forum where lots of bad and outdated information is being peddled.

We'll be in Laem Chabang in November and are still trying to decide whether to go to Bangkok and enjoy an overnight there, taking advantage of river shuttles. Or go bizarro and head for Pattaya, the sin and sand (water is dirty) fleshpot resort. We've been to both several times.

Greatam's recommendation made thinking about Bangkok again.

Archived