Icy Strait Point

RenieRaider

First, I have to say we had AWESOME sunny weather when we were there. July 17th?

Loved Icy Strait Point! You tender over and all excursions meet in the Excursions Lounge on your right upon arrival.

There are shops and if you walk to the right of the BIG building to the end, and then to the right you can purchase shuttle tickets to Hoonah. $8.00 Round Trip ONLY. If you WALK to town and purchase a ticket at one of the stores it"s $5.00 One Way. It's about a 45 minute walk. Not too much in town...... small town, real small. I walked and took shuttle back. You pick the shuttle up at the big blue building on your right.

If you do NOT choose to go to Hoonah then I would recommend Boardwalk to your right, (you'll see The Crab Station) and walk to the Landing Zone Bar and Restuarant. Nice venue.

You can sit inside and watch for whales or sit in the comfortable outdoor seating area to watch the Zip Liners! It was COOL to watch!

They people that took the Sports fishing excursion were disappointed, they didn't get much, if any.

The last huttle back to RCCL Radiance of the Seas was at 3:30PM. Wish we had more time there, I would have stayed longer.

On our first ever cruise we stopped at Icy Strait Point. We liked it as well. Thought it was less "touristy" than the much larger towns. We got off the ship early and walked into town and had the road to ourselves. Saw a few Eagles and had a light lunch in the little cafe in the village.

The lady that runs the cafe was the wife of the local Chief of Police at the time I believe and everyone we met was very friendly. It was nice to walk in as you get a better look at the landscape and the houses..some very interesting gardening ideas that we saw including ancient ovens put to good use as planters etc.

Nice little port of call though.

First, I have to say we had AWESOME sunny weather when we were there. July 17th?

Loved Icy Strait Point! You tender over and all excursions meet in the Excursions Lounge on your right upon arrival.

There are shops and if you walk to the right of the BIG building to the end, and then to the right you can purchase shuttle tickets to Hoonah. $8.00 Round Trip ONLY. If you WALK to town and purchase a ticket at one of the stores it"s $5.00 One Way. It's about a 45 minute walk. Not too much in town...... small town, real small. I walked and took shuttle back. You pick the shuttle up at the big blue building on your right.

If you do NOT choose to go to Hoonah then I would recommend Boardwalk to your right, (you'll see The Crab Station) and walk to the Landing Zone Bar and Restuarant. Nice venue.

You can sit inside and watch for whales or sit in the comfortable outdoor seating area to watch the Zip Liners! It was COOL to watch!

They people that took the Sports fishing excursion were disappointed, they didn't get much, if any.

The last huttle back to RCCL Radiance of the Seas was at 3:30PM. Wish we had more time there, I would have stayed longer.

ISP was our favorite port - only one ship there. It was so nice to be away from the throngs and the views on our sunny day were outstanding. We, too, enjoyed the walk and our visit to the Landing Bar and did both things you did - sat at a window in the restaurant for quite awhile and watched the whales. They have free wireless access (for 1/2 hour). We had carried our table on shore so husband could check some things. We followed the trail through the woods and walked to Hoonah and back.

Our MDR waiter was there too - having an off afternoon. It was fun to talk with him away from the dining room.

Except for one shop they weren't as touristy as the other stops. I enjoyed browsing the local made items.

Tender returning from ISP.

Alaska2057-1.jpg

Boardwalk - the walk along here was beautiful.

Alaska2072-1.jpg

Walk through the woods at end of Boardwalk trail.

Alaska2092.jpg

ISP was our favorite port - only one ship there. It was so nice to be away from the throngs and the views on our sunny day were outstanding. We, too, enjoyed the walk and our visit to the Landing Bar and did both things you did - sat at a window in the restaurant for quite awhile and watched the whales. They have free wireless access (for 1/2 hour). We had carried our table on shore so husband could check some things. We followed the trail through the woods and walked to Hoonah and back.

Our MDR waiter was there too - having an off afternoon. It was fun to talk with him away from the dining room.

Except for one shop they weren't as touristy as the other stops. I enjoyed browsing the local made items.

Alaska2057-1.jpg

Alaska2072-1.jpg

Alaska2092.jpg

Wow!! Thanks posting those pictures. Now I know what we will here! :)

The walk to Hoonah is not very picturesque but the little town gives you some local flavor. It's not very pretty but we're glad we took the walk - used some of those calories. I think there are a couple small cafes there.

The walk to Hoonah is not very picturesque but the little town gives you some local flavor. It's not very pretty but we're glad we took the walk - used some of those calories. I think there are a couple small cafes there.

Thanks! But your pictures are beautiful!! We will enjoy our time there, and looking

forward to those cool days and nights during these hot summer nights down here

in the sunny south!! :)

Thank you. That's kind of you. The trail throught the woods is at the very end of the boardwalk and trail along the shore. The wooded trail is only about 1/4 mile if that. It doesn't go to Hoonah.

Works for me! I will still love every moment of it, and still thank you for the pictures! ;)

If you go into Hoonah, across the street from the shuttle bus drop off there is a warehouse where Tlingit Indians are carving totem poles for a tribal house at Glacier Bay National Park. It was a very informative and interesting visit.

Alaska2057-1.jpg

Alaska2072-1.jpg

Alaska2092.jpg

These pictures are incredible! I can't wait to get there now. We sail on 8/10 SB on the Radiance. We have a small-boat whale watching tour scheduled, and then the rest of the time to walk around. I thought there wouldn't be much to see, but this is breathtaking. Thanks for posting!

These pictures are incredible! I can't wait to get there now. We sail on 8/10 SB on the Radiance. We have a small-boat whale watching tour scheduled, and then the rest of the time to walk around. I thought there wouldn't be much to see, but this is breathtaking. Thanks for posting!

Hi Mikki!! ;)

Yeah, I was gushing over these great pictures too. Beautiful, and can't wait to get

there. See you soon!! :D

There won't be as much snow on the mountains as the first week of June when we were there but I'm hoping for you both a sunny day.

Thanks! News reports on the weather seem to tell us they are having a record cold

July up there right now. Hope, it warms up for August! ;)

There won't be as much snow on the mountains as the first week of June when we were there but I'm hoping for you both a sunny day.

Great photos it sure didnt look that nice when we were there in MAY

When we were in Icy Strait Point in 2008 I did the whale watching tour and my husband went halibut fishing. We booked both excursions from the ship. I really enjoyed the whale watching tour and we saw a bunch. My husband really enjoyed halibut fishing. I enjoyed Icy Strait Point and if you like canned salmon that is the place to buy it and have it shipped home. I order a case every year, makes the best salmon spread and patties! IMHO!!:)

Trying to decide if we want to go on the Forest and Nature Tram with Tribal Dance through the ship. May try and tour the cannery as well. Has anyone been on the Forest/NT&Tribal Dance tour? Was it worth the $80 charge?

Just completed the cruise portion. We loved ISP.

If you are interested in whale watching this was an amazing experience.

We did an independent with Eric and Ear Mountain. It's slightly more than the ship but very much worth it. As someone mentioned it is only a maximum of 6. No worrying about getting that picture amd fighting that cruise ship tour crowd. It's also a bit longer. At one point it felt like we had whales on all sides of us. We had 2 incredibly close encounters with the whales. It was fantastic. Eric was great at putting us in position for the best views.

Archived