Riedel Glass Comparative Workshop

Ray in NH

I was trying to find information concerning this activity on the Celebrity web-site, without much success.

Is Celebrity still offering the Riedel Glass Comparison Worhshops?

Does it need to be ordered prior to sailing?

Are glasses still provided on board, or shipped to home address?

What is the current cost?

Thank you for any information that can be offered.

Ray in NH

I was trying to find information concerning this activity on the Celebrity web-site, without much success.

Ray in NH

Did the workshop on the Equinox April 2012. I signed up on board ship.

Think I paid in the neighborhood of $82 (can remember exact amt). Since I was flying home, was given a coupon to have glasses sent to my house (was a small shipping charge). If you are driving, you can carry box of glasses off the ship.

We attended a workshop onboard Century in Dec 11. It was only $15, and was just a tasting. It was fantastic and I highly recommend it. The difference is shocking. The glasses can be purchased elsewhere for a better price, so we were happy.

Ray in NH

Ray - head onto the =X= web site.

Click on Plan & Book, then Beverage Packages, to Riedel Workshop.

I believe this will answer most of your questions.

It does not mention anything about "The Glasses" and taking them home. I have read on these threads that you do get to keep the glasses and you have the option to have =X= send them home for a $15 fee.

I hope this helps a little, at least you can now find the cost, the wines used, and when to order the workshop.

I believe I have also read you can order it once onboard, just ask your dining room Sommelier.

We too will be trying this workshop on our first =X= TA next May. Being exclusive RCCL travelers, we never did the Wine Tasteings on board after it was no longer offered as a C & A benefit.

Glenn

It is still being offered. You do not need to book before you leave. I believe it was $87 on the Summit when we were on board. That included the glasses. We ended up canceling our reservation because, unlike our experience on the Millennium in 2009, you are NOT served your wine in Riedel glassware in conjunction with booking the package. (They have decent glassware, at least in Blu and the Normandie, it just is not Riedel.) On board they were offering both the $15 tasting only option and the option that included the glasses.

I never quite understood why anyone would buy the Riedel glasses on the cruise for an exorbinate price when you can go to Target and get the same glasses for so much less. They try to sell these glasses as something special but they are not. The information they give you regarding the size and shape of the glasses is good but save some money and purchase them at home IMO.

So, for the $15 tasting - do they pour your wine in a regular glass and then the Reidel glass to see the difference?

I've always wanted to try those glasses to see if it really makes a discernable difference. When I saw the workshop, I was interested, but it's not worth $80 to me, nor do I necessarily want the glasses now. If I could just do the tasting for less, I would love that, though. Hopefully they'll have that on the Equinox in November!

I never quite understood why anyone would buy the Riedel glasses on the cruise for an exorbinate price when you can go to Target and get the same glasses for so much less. They try to sell these glasses as something special but they are not. The information they give you regarding the size and shape of the glasses is good but save some money and purchase them at home IMO.

Even cheaper at Ikea. :D

It is still being offered. You do not need to book before you leave. I believe it was $87 on the Summit when we were on board. That included the glasses. We ended up canceling our reservation because, unlike our experience on the Millennium in 2009, you are NOT served your wine in Riedel glassware in conjunction with booking the package. (They have decent glassware, at least in Blu and the Normandie, it just is not Riedel.) On board they were offering both the $15 tasting only option and the option that included the glasses.

Pinma,This is exactly what I was looking for. Good to know we can wait until onboard to discuss with wine staff, and decide if we want to book. Too bad they no longer are offering the use of Riedel glasses throughout the cruise, if booked in the program :(

So, for the $15 tasting - do they pour your wine in a regular glass and then the Reidel glass to see the difference?

I've always wanted to try those glasses to see if it really makes a discernable difference. When I saw the workshop, I was interested, but it's not worth $80 to me, nor do I necessarily want the glasses now. If I could just do the tasting for less, I would love that, though. Hopefully they'll have that on the Equinox in November!

Saffy12,

Your lead-off question is the same as we have, which is what makes this seminar/tasting so interesting.

Thank you to everyone who made time to answer my request.

Riedel has a number of different series of wine/spirits glasses that they offer. We have been using their "restuarant" grade here at home and really like them. We have wanted to try some of their higher-end series to see if we can discern any appreciable difference, without having to lay out the $$$. Hopefully, they will offer just the tasting with the "good" glasses. If not, we will have to decide whether to "splurge" for the whole deal, and add to our wine glass "collection" :D I'll let you know what we find out, after we return in October.

Thanks again -- smooth seas and fair winds to all

Ray in NH

The glasses make a difference, most definitely, but I am not sure that stepping up the 'quality' chain does, unless you are going from 'generic white' and 'generic red' to more wine specific glasses. For example, they have restaurant grade matched glasses in Cellar Masters (not even the Stolzle that they have in Blu) and when my favorite wine there was put in a 'joker' glass (I have no idea why) I questioned him as to whether it was even the right wine. It was and when I took it back to my room and transfered it into the proper glass all was good again. These were very inexpensive glasses but they (usually) matched them to wines well.

I didn't find the barman at Cellar Masters very helpful. Nice enough but I doubted his wine knowledge. There was this instance, where he obviously should have recognized that the wine was in the wrong glass especially after I questioned whether it was the same wine I had been served previously. He also could not help my husband - not very wine-knowledgeable - pick out a suitable wine for me when there was no Old Vine Zinfandel on the by-the-glass list. He returned with a Riesling. Talk about night and day!

Anyway.... I think the $15 is worth it if you don't think you'd want the glasses. It's a fun workshop. If you think you might want the glasses I doubt you will not find a better deal on these particular glasses. These are the glasses: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/6031868/?catalogId=84&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Glassware_Bar&cm_pla=Stemware&cm_ite=Riedel_Vinum_Tasting_Set&adtype=pla

Thanks for all the info! I did find the same set on Amazon for $100, so the X price is a pretty good deal given that it includes a tasting.

One thing I noticed is that for our November Summit cruise, the workshop is listed at the $87 price but does NOT say glasses are included. I'm sure they are, just noting that it doesn't say that anywhere. I think we'll wait until we're on-board and just book with the sommelier anyway.

Once again, I am amazed at how much sharing is available on Cruise Critic Boards. This has been very helpful. The Celebrity web site has pieces of the information at different places, but, it seems, no place where all the information is listed in any one place. :confused:

It appears that, like so many other situations, the actual answer really "depends on what ship/itinerary/personnel" -- consistency does not appear to be a hallmark of the cruiselines. :(

Thank you again for sharing your personal experiences thereby allowing a glimpse of what is possibly available.

Ray in NH

Hi. The Reidels sold at Target are not the same quality as the Vinum line by Reidel that is used for the tastings. We did the tastings a couple years ago and enjoyed it very much.

I purchased the vinum line glasses at my local military exchange and they were approx 1/3 the cost that they were on a TA cruise on the Exquinox on 2009. We have a couple of different sets of Reidel glass and although they seem of real nice quality, I don't see an appreciable difference in taste.

Hi. The Reidels sold at Target are not the same quality as the Vinum line by Reidel that is used for the tastings. We did the tastings a couple years ago and enjoyed it very much.

there are various grades of riedel glasses. their sommelier line is the most expensive with about $70 per glass. these glasses are handmade and really fine glassware. the glasses in the vinum series are machine made and good all-round glasses. it is fun to pair wine with the right glass and i am sure there is always something new to learn.

We did the Riedel tasting on one of our Mercury sailings and we definitely noticed a difference - sufficient that we have since purchased two additional shapes for wines that we like (Port & Shiraz).

To resolve some confusion about the $82 vs $15 pricing. For a while last winter (11-12), Riedel apparently had some production problems and the Vinum glasses (not sure about others) were not available. During that period, Celebrity charged $15 for the workshop. Prior to - and since that period, the price (~$85) includes the set of four glasses for you to take home. Depending on stock, you may be offered the option to take them with you or to get a coupon from which you can order a set on line - with a charge (back then anyway) of $15 per box ($30 to Canada). The packaging was excellent (same for take-with or ship home) so breakage risk should be minimal.

For those comparison shoppers out there, and as was noted by another poster here, Riedel makes different series of glassware. The one used (and distributed) for the tasting workshop is Vinum. This series is machine blown and is the top of their machine-blown line. The next series up is hand blown and considerably more money. The lines below that are not the same quality and are missing the critical feature of the Vinum and better glasses - a flat edge on the rim - which lets the wine go directly to the correct section of your tongue.

The Vinum series glasses sell for about $50 per package of two from Amazon, so $85 for four is actually a good deal. Check the series in your favorite discount store before assuming this is a high price. The packaging looks very similar but will say Vinum.

j

Sorry - forgot three more things:

1. In theory, signing up for the workshop gets you Riedel glasses when you order wine. My experience was different, but others have said they got them.

2. I think there's sales tax if you buy the package before you go, but not on the ship.

3. If you order on board from your dining room sommelier, s/he gets the tip based on that purchase (so that may be more than the local sales tax) but the sommelier will appreciate it and be more likely to then serve your dinner wine(s) in Riedel glasses.

j

Archived