Viking Customer Service

franski

Hi everyone -

In another thread (the one about "the truth on Viking"...) I posted about a less-than-stellar interaction with a crew member on a Viking ship in Russia. Someone from the customer service department at Viking posted on line asking me to contact them to discuss our issue... So, I sent an e-mail.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a timely response (if any response at all...) Viking has taken lots of hits on this forum in relation to their customer service approach, and my complaint wasn't really that big in the grand scheme of things. I explained the situation - and then took the opportunity to comment on the "2-for-1" sale that never ends... and also about the fact that transfers are only included if you buy their air... (Figured if I had someone's ear, I would take advantage of that!!)

My opinion (and, I understand if others have a different view) is that river cruising is becoming more competitive each day, and all companies need to look at how they will remain competitive. I still don't understand why all companies don't include transfers - but, that is just me, I guess.

Well, I did hear back from Viking - and the response was within 24 hours. They apologized for the interaction in Russia, and then offered a travel voucher for future travel if I wished to experience a river cruise with their company. I provided my mailing address, and they were going to mail the vouchers to me. And, they did offer an explanation about their marketing, and basically - it works for them so they aren't making any huge changes.

Well - I found a cruise, and wanted to book - but didn't have the vouchers. Only one cabin left for the date/category we wanted to book - so they let us hold it (through our TA) while they hunted down the vouchers that had been promised. Long story short, the staff at Viking worked long and hard to confirm the vouchers, and make sure that they would be applied to our cruise. Cruise has now been booked --> we are doing the Passage to Eastern Europe (Bucharest to Budapest) next April.

I wanted to take a few minutes to share this. As mentioned above, Viking has taken a number of hits in relation to their customer service, so felt it was only fair that a positive experience is posted as well.

This will be our 6th River cruise - and our 1st with Viking. We will be on one of the new Longships (the Aegir) - in Aquarium class.

No, we didn't book their air (although the prices right now with them are really good...) - so are doing our own transfers.

Looking forward to the cruise, and will definitely post after the cruise is over.

Fran

Let me add a few words too. We are also very satisfied with Viking customer service, really enjoy Viking cruises and will keep cruising with them. However as I mentioned earlier in the other thread I started: "Viking return/payment policies.." some things definitely need to be more customer friendly. If they were we would not need to bother Viking with emails/complaints/unnecessary phone calls.

I too am a satisfied customer with Viking; having traveled with them 3 times and the 4 is coming up this November on the Viking Odin.

If people would only do the research necessary before a booking there might not be such a bashing against Viking. Noone can predict if a vacation with be that picture-perfect one that everyone would enjoy. Things happen.

Thank you Viking.

Fran ~ SO happy to hear something positive about Viking - we have our first-ever river cruise (booked with Viking) coming up in October and have friiends who also booked with them just because we had - they've cruised with Avalon but we willing to chance Viking and I'm hoping they'll also enjoy!

So far our dealings with Viking have been very good - but then I'm using an on-line TA and only called Viking before booking with a few questions.

We also booked our own airfare since we wanted to stay pre & post cruise for a longer time period and all changes through Viking would have tacked on extra fees - but then we've never booked air through a cruise line.

I hope we'll feel just as positive after our cruise!!!!

Peg -

I know people who have travelled with Viking before - and were very pleased with the experience. So - thought I would seriously consider them if they had a package that met our needs.

I had narrowed our cruise in Russia down to Viking and Uniworld - and ended up booking Uniworld because of an amazing sale. I look for itinerary, then look at all the different lines. Have travelled with Uniworld (x3), Scenic and AMA so far. Am quite willing to try them all!!! :D

We love river cruising - although we realize it isn't for everyone. When we did our 1st in 2008, I was hoping to be able to book one every 2 years. But, by watching for sales - and booking lowest category (ie: Aquarium class) we have managed one/year so far. I truly am addicted....

My only real requirement is hotel style beds. I may be willing to look at other cruises with twin and/or pullman beds sometime in the future, but I still have lots of itineraries to do where I can get a "proper" (at least in my mind...) bed.

We have booked air both ways (on our own, and through the company) depending on the sales.

Can't speak to the Rhone river (as that is still on my "to do" list) but I understand that it is a great itinerary... enjoy!!

Fran

Hi Fran,

Got your message on the other thread -- SO jealous! :D

I've been eyeing this itinerary for a while now and was excited to see that the longships are taking over this itinerary starting next year. Unfortunately, we will have to put this trip off until spring of 2014 since next year is already full for us. Will definitely be looking forward to hearing all about your experience!!

We're on Viking's Rhine Getaway at the end of November and looking forward to cruising with them. In my dealings with them, they've been courteous, professional, and prompt - so no complaints from me.

Tim

Tim -

This one is on my bucket list - so was really excited when we realized we could pull it together.

If you are doing the Rhine at the end of November, you should be getting at least some of the markets. Are you starting or ending in Basel?

We did the Rhine with Uniworld (Cologne to Basel) in early December 2010.

Fran

nordski-

Thank you...

I do try to post - and be "fair" in my postings - just in case anything I have gleaned along the way may be of help to those who follow.

I have found some great tips from many CCers here - so am always glad for the chance to "pay it forward".

Fran

Fran,

We're starting in Basel. My dad (my parents are going too) was wanting to tour southern Germany and relive his army days when he was stationed there, so we chose to start in Basel as opposed to Amsterdam.

We'll actually get to see most of the Christmas Markets. I think we'll miss Rüdesheim by one day, but from the dates I've seen, every other market will be open. I've read that Strasbourg's is one of the best along the Rhine, so really looking forward to that one in particular. I'm not looking forward to being out in the cold, but I'm sure I'll forget all about it once the glüwein starts flowing!! :D I think if it's half as good as our Russia cruise was, then we'll have a blast.

Tim

Tim - we loved Strasbourg when we were there... The whole down-town section decorates for Christmas!!! And, the markets actually spread into the "old town" so there are lots of things to see. It was our favourite market on that trip.

We found the people in Basel to be quite rude... a number of disappointing interactions that day. Our guide was lovely, however, and she acted like a "mother hen" trying to shield us from some of the "nasty" people we encountered. Perhaps just a bad day for everyone (it was raining quite heavily - so maybe that impacted the mood...).

We drank more cider than gluwein - perhaps because we visited many of the markets during the day - but still had a great time. We did visit the Gutenberg museum in Mainz - and enjoyed that. Also had some amazing reibekuchen in the market there.... just to die for hot out of the oil, with apple sauce.... making me hungry just thinking about it!!

Very different than Russia - but memorable just the same.

Fran

Fran,

Sounds like a great trip! Even though we know it will be cold, hope that it doesn't diminish our enjoyment of the overall experience. We southerners can't handle the cold all that well! :D

Russia was our first river cruise and we thouroughly enjoyed it. It will be the measuring stick for all future river cruises. If the Rhine cruise is half as good as the Russia cruise, then it should be a fantastic trip.

Tim

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have an e-mail address for Viking Cruise Lines Head Office? I would like to submit a formal complaint but it is almost impossible to locate contact information

Its alway a clue when a "First Time" Cruise Critic poster has an "Issue":cool:

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Viking Cruise Lines Head Office? I would like to submit a formal complaint but it is almost impossible to locate contact information

Dear CDNtravel10,

nana541 is correct, you can reach us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com. We hope to hear from you soon and appreciate that you are giving us an opportunity to address your concerns.

And nana541, thank you for jumping in and helping out by providing our email address! Much appreciated.

Very best,

Viking River Cruises

Dear CDNtravel10,

nana541 is correct, you can reach us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com. We hope to hear from you soon and appreciate that you are giving us an opportunity to address your concerns.

And nana541, thank you for jumping in and helping out by providing our email address! Much appreciated.

Very best,

Viking River Cruises

Boy oh boy...Viking every time you guys post on CC, you go up a notch or two in my book. Some other cruiselines that I have sailed (recently) could learn a lesson or two about "putting out the flames" before the CC Thread goes on for 25 pages of pissed off "loyal" customers....

Just sayin and thanks for showing your customer service.....I am going to have to re-elvaluate my reasons for not looking more closely at a Viking cruise!

nana541 ~ you are SO right – customer service is SO important!!! And I hope in a month I’ll be singing Viking’s praises – we leave for our first river cruise on the Neptune October 21st!!!

Almost a year in the planning, we just received our travel package from Viking and I’m much impressed by the travel wallet and free lanyards – now I don’t have to use my RCCL ones! Also a nice touch were the booklets regarding the ship, itinerary and area (Rhone River) descriptions.

But I’m still a little nervous after just reading the very negative CC review (July 2012) about the ship! Hope it was just a cranky passenger and our experience will be different!!

But as for the cruise lines monitoring CC, at least Celebrity and RCCL have ship people reading their roll calls. At the roll call social for 3 of our cruises ship officers or social directors made specific mention of comments made here on CC.

I think part of the “problem”, especially with the large cruise lines, is the disconnect between the front office and their ships! Without going into details, we had a boarding delayed a few hours because of the ship being deep cleaned due to a Noro virus outbreak. The ship handled the situation very well providing free transportation into town, setting up food areas/TV (soccer & tennis)/card room in an adjoining hotel. Many of us had been forewarned by CC passengers on a back-to-back but calls to the front office proved worthless since they had no clue about any sailing delay. Once again proving the value of Cruise Critic!!

Hope we’ll become a Viking regular after this cruise!!

If Viking's customer service is impressive, try Oceania's. A recent post asking for transfer info in Miami got the chairman of the board at Oceania offering to pick up the cruiser.

Don't even get me started....on the shipboard experiance vs the front office and shoreside, marketing, IT issues of the company that very Chairman (FDR) represents.... Maybe he should read the Regent boards more often....

Just sayin!

On this board Viking seems to at least make a real effort to make a good impression and interact with CC members! Good for you Viking for acting like customer service matters :)

ps I love the Regent experiance (the onboard experience) the ships, crew and staff are 1st Class!

Just back from Rhine Getaway with Viking and I couldn't have been happier. The staff on the Viking Sun is the best. We had perfect weather and I loved my fellow passengers. My only regret is that my red viking luggage tag they gave us in advance was missing when I picked my luggage up at the airport after the flight. Don't miss the optional winery tour, that was great!

I would recommend that anyone in spending time in Basel to take the day and go to Lucerne. We rode 7 different forms of transportation in one day! Tram, train, boat, cog train, cable car, gondola and bus.

Also we booked our hotels in Basel and Amsterdam on Priceline and Hotwire for $95 per night and they were both great hotels.

I am happy to answer any questions

Just back from Rhine Getaway with Viking and I couldn't have been happier. The staff on the Viking Sun is the best. We had perfect weather and I loved my fellow passengers. My only regret is that my red viking luggage tag they gave us in advance was missing when I picked my luggage up at the airport after the flight. Don't miss the optional winery tour, that was great!

I would recommend that anyone in spending time in Basel to take the day and go to Lucerne. We rode 7 different forms of transportation in one day! Tram, train, boat, cog train, cable car, gondola and bus.

Also we booked our hotels in Basel and Amsterdam on Priceline and Hotwire for $95 per night and they were both great hotels.

I am happy to answer any questions

Dear ninaks,

Welcome home from your cruise! Nothing makes us happier than to hear that you couldn’t have been happier with your Viking experience. If your only regret is that your Viking luggage tags were lost in transit, well, what an easy fix that is! Two new tags went out in the mail today, so please keep an eye out for them.

If there’s anything else we can do, or if your new luggage tags don’t find their way to you for some reason, please feel free to contact us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Thank you for sailing with us. We hope to welcome you onboard again soon!

Cheers,

Viking River Cruises

• 9 months later...
Wow, that is fantastic, thank you so much. I am a huge Viking fan. I am telling everyone to cruise with you. I had the trip of a lifetime!!

Ninaks

It appears you were very satisfied with your Viking experience. Have you cruised again with them since this trip?

My husband and I are are doing the vistas and vineyards trip in September. What kind of clothing did you pack? We plan to spend a week after the cruise in Switzerland, so we are taking your suggestion about the lake trip.

If you have any words of wisdom about this trip you may contact me by email at susang1952@gmail.com

Thanks for your posts.

Susan:cool:

Archived