GS worth $4500 more for 12 night cruise???

We paid $1249 pp for a balcony room on the serenade for October. A GS upgrade would be $3500 pp, so an extra $4500 total. I am interested, but am having trouble justifying the cost. Has anyone cruised in both types, and perhaps could share their thoughts on if they'd do it again? It'd be like paying for two additional cruises.

Thanks!

We paid $1249 pp for a balcony room on the serenade for October. A GS upgrade would be $3500 pp, so an extra $4500 total. I am interested, but am having trouble justifying the cost. Has anyone cruised in both types, and perhaps could share their thoughts on if they'd do it again? It'd be like paying for two additional cruises.

Thanks!

Definitely not worth it for me. I'd rather go on the 2 additional cruises.

We upgraded to a GS from an E 1 hump our recent Mariner cruise but all the prices had dropped and we got the GS for less then the original price of th E1. We loved it and would love to do a GS again. I checked the prices when I booked our next cruise and booked a JS. Just could not justify the large difference in price to a GS.

So to answer your question, no, not worth an extra $4500.

Thanks!

I don't think I'm understanding the total.

$1,249 per person, plus an additional $3,500 per person. So, the total for 12 days would be $9,000 for the two of you....is that correct?

Dawn

Just ask yourself this: What awesome things could I do on my vacation with $4500? Remember, the cabin is a place to sleep, shower, change clothes and well ;). So, spending that much more for a room is not really worth it. Take 2 extra cruises or have an awesome time on excursions, shopping and making memories that will last forever.

I don't think I'm understanding the total.

$1,249 per person, plus an additional $3,500 per person. So, the total for 12 days would be $9,000 for the two of you....is that correct?

Dawn

No, it's 3500pp for the GS, so 2250pp extra, so 4500 total, extra.

And ps I wouldn't do it.

Many have said to save the money and take an extra cruise or two. Some of us like the extra real estate, and spend a great deal of time in our cabin, and that is why we choose to spend the extra money for OS's or GS's.

Everyones style of cruising is different. It makes sense that the vast majority would say to stay with the balcony.:)

Rick

Many have said to save the money and take an extra cruise or two. Some of us like the extra real estate, and spend a great deal of time in our cabin, and that is why we choose to spend the extra money for OS's or GS's.

Everyones style of cruising is different. It makes sense that the vast majority would say to stay with the balcony.:)

Rick

But do you typically spend an extra $4500 per cruise? That seems like a lot, especially if you do it on a regular basis :eek:

Thanks!

Forget the word "extra" because I think that is throwing off the real question.

When you were first booking this cruise and you had the option of a GS for $3,500 per person, would you have reserved it then? Or, was the cost for the GS much higher?

It depends on how you like to travel. For folks that are still employed full time, many don't have the luxury of vacation time to take two more cruises in a year. It depends if you have the $$ (I realize NO ONE puts vacations on credit anymore). If you have the extra $$, I would consider it. For example, if I had a car payment, I would not consider it for a second. But if you don't have credit card debt, car payments, I would probably go for it!

And trust me on this....for every cruiser that says they don't spend any time in their cabin there is one that does!!!!! We actually spend a great deal of time in our cabin...used to think we were an anomaly. Now I know better.

:-)

When you were first booking this cruise and you had the option of a GS for $3,500 per person, would you have reserved it then? Or, was the cost for the GS much higher?

GS for Serenade 12 night Med typically run about $5199pp in the beginning, and balconies ~2739pp, so this whole cruise is on sale. If you look at it that way, it seems like a better deal.

I love how people casually throw judgment on others. Who cares what other people spend their disposable income on or what other bills they have?

My husband and I spend a LOT of time in our cabin (we don't even pack bathing suits anymore) and the extra real estate is worth it to us.

That said, our income bracket only allows us to spend about $2500pp on a 7 day cruise because we like to cruise 3x per year. Sometimes that gets us an OS and sometimes a JS, sometimes only a balcony.

Oh, and we have a car loan and student loan payments. But we spend guilt free.

Soooooo.....to answer your question, it depends on your priorities in life and your disposable income.

I love how people casually throw judgment on others. Who cares what other people spend their disposable income on or what other bills they have?

Who's judging? People are just giving their perspectives. If you ask a question about 'would you spend x?' you are going to get answers and opinions.

$3500pp for a GS on a 12 night Med is actually pretty good.

We paid $1650 each this past May for our 12 night Med cruise in a GS. We also spend a good amount of time in our suite. I enjoy being able to catch up on my reading and enjoy sitting on the balcony doing that.

If you want the extra space, check the prices of the JS. We enjoy the extra space and the walk in closet and it has a bath like the GS.

I love how people casually throw judgment on others. Who cares what other people spend their disposable income on or what other bills they have?....Oh, and we have a car loan and student loan payments. But we spend guilt free.

Soooooo.....to answer your question, it depends on your priorities in life and your disposable income.

Interesting that you consider my opinion judgmental of how others spend their money.

I don't care how you spend your money or how many bills you have...but the question was asked. IF it were ME, I would not spend an "extra" $4,500 if I had a car payment. I'm not saying I wouldn't spend $2,500 on a cruise, just not an EXTRA $4,500 if I had those types of bills, that's all. If I didn't, and I had the $$, I probably would spend that much money.

Perhaps I watch too much Suze Orman, but I'm sure she would give me a DENIED if I wanted to spend an extra $4,500 if I had outstanding debts. Just my own little frame of reference....that's all. Nothing less, nothing more.

And I couldn't agree more....it absolutely positively comes down to priorities and disposable income. And who knows...maybe someone is charging their vacation(s) and still putting them on revolving credit. They may know that one day they are going to get one heck of an inheritance so all their bills will be paid in full (and yes, we know someone in that position). No inheritance for us though...oh well. We have many blessings, so no complaints.

:)

My view is it all depends on what you are willing to pay and your particular financial situation. Yes, we love the space of a suite and target that as much as we can, provided it fits with what we have budgeted for.

If you are considering paying this rate for a cruise, have you looked at Oceania or Regent Seven Seas (or other luxury line)? Granted the ships are smaller and the initial cash outlay is more; however, when you total all the "extras" associated with the cruise, you may find it cheaper.

Regent is all inclusive and includes you air, pre / post night hotel, shore excursions, beverages (including alcohol). Plus you get longer port times (and some overnights). So for a Europe cruise, they may actually come in cheaper in the end.

Just something to consider.

We're addicted to suites (but have been in almost every category from inside to outside to balcony to JS to GS to OS during our travels).

For the extra amount and for a Med cruise, as a general response, I'd say "no." The reason is that, with most Med itineraries, you spend A LOT of time in port and will probably be doing a lot of tours/sightseeing, which means less time to enjoy your stateroom. If you're going to be off the ship from 8-4 most days, you really are paying a lot for a place to change and sleep. If you have 4-5 sea days, it might make more sense to consider it.

You should ask yourself what excites you most about a GS? If it's the extra room, I'd go with one of the above posters and look into a JS -- they do offer a nice sitting area, good-sized balcony, a tub, and are usually quite a bit cheaper than full suites.

If it's the suite benefits (concierge lounge, access to shows), financially, you're obviously much better off buying your own drinks and showing up a bit early for the shows.

The above said, only you know your disposable income. If you want to splurge and have the money to do so, you'll definitely enjoy the suite. However, if spending the money means you'll miss out on tours, another cruise, etc., I'd forego the suite at this price point.

Archived