Best itinerary for Mayan ruins

DW, Pops, Moms and I are going to sail the western Caribbean in the fall of 2013. We aren't locked into a departure port yet, so I need help deciding which stops will be the best for seeing some Mayan ruins.

The only way I convinced Pops to do this thing, was to tell him about the ruins.

We are flying from California, so departure port doesn't really matter.

Any advice?

Very few go to Progresso, and only 5 day cruises like Triumph out of Galveston go there.

If you go by way of Cozumel, it can be done, but its almost too much, or it would be too much for me to get to Chichen Itza which is one of the 7 wonders, because Cozumel is a island, so you have to ferry to the mainland, which adds an hour each way. (its about a 8 hour excursion or longer to do it thru cozumel and even then its rushed and costs double)

Mobile used to be the only port that went to Calica, which is closest, but now none go there.

Could you do a 4/5 day B2B to make it worth flying to houston and then you need to shuttle to Galveston.

If you get to Progresso .. you could do one ruins one time and another the 2nd leg out of progresso.

auto progresso provides the busses for Carnival, so its the same basic excursion if you book thru them or wait until you get off the free shuttle down the pier.

Cant beat these prices to see ruins .. and Ive looked.

http://www.autoprogreso.com/Cruise.html

You do have to get to port early even for this one to chichen itza .. but for $49 per person .. hint I think carnival wanted $109 per person out of cozumel with the ferry and you have less time there, rushed.

if you really want to see important ruins .. this would be my suggestion. Do it as a B2B on Triumph out of Galveston.

Very few go to Progresso, and only 5 day cruises like Triumph out of Galveston go there.

If you go by way of Cozumel, it can be done, but its almost too much, or it would be too much for me to get to Chichen Itza which is one of the 7 wonders, because Cozumel is a island, so you have to ferry to the mainland, which adds an hour each way. (its about a 8 hour excursion or longer to do it thru cozumel and even then its rushed and costs double)

Mobile used to be the only port that went to Calica, which is closest, but now none go there.

Could you do a 4/5 day B2B to make it worth flying to houston and then you need to shuttle to Galveston.

If you get to Progresso .. you could do one ruins one time and another the 2nd leg out of progresso.

auto progresso provides the busses for Carnival, so its the same basic excursion if you book thru them or wait until you get off the free shuttle down the pier.

Cant beat these prices to see ruins .. and Ive looked.

http://www.autoprogreso.com/Cruise.html

You do have to get to port early even for this one to chichen itza .. but for $49 per person .. hint I think carnival wanted $109 per person out of cozumel with the ferry and you have less time there, rushed.

if you really want to see important ruins .. this would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, but time constraints dictate only a 7 day cruise.

I am leaning towards the Magic out of Galveston

We are partial to Xunantunech in Belize. Sits on top of a magnificent mountain on the Guatemalan border. The temples are spectacular , but the view is awesome as a compliment to the ruins. The 90 minute ride there from Belize city bisects the entire country for a real flavor for the small nation. At the base of the mountain you cross a river on a rope towed ferry, then are bused (or walk) up the mountain to the ruins>

The third time we visited Xunantunech I decided to take all our camera equipment and i planned the highlight of the cruise so as to make the most spectacular photos ever taken in our household of that great temple at Xunantunech. It was to be the pinnacle of that cruise and I lay awake many night planning all the shots I was going to take. On the bus ride back from the ruins and as we approached the port for our return to the ship, I opened the 35 mm camera we'd taken all the pics with to retrieve the roll of film. Guess what wasn't there.:mad:

As an alternative in Belize there is also a combined excursion thats neat. It is boating upstream on the River Wallace through urbanized, rural and jungle areas seeing oodles of wildlife (manatee, birds monkeys etc) After boating upstream you board buses to Altun Ha- another significant ruin worth catching.

We are partial to Xunantunech in Belize. Sits on top of a magnificent mountain on the Guatemalan border. The temples are spectacular , but the view is awesome as a compliment to the ruins. The 90 minute ride there from Belize city bisects the entire country for a real flavor for the small nation. At the base of the mountain you cross a river on a rope towed ferry, then are bused (or walk) up the mountain to the ruins>

The third time we visited Xunantunech I decided to take all our camera equipment and i planned the highlight of the cruise so as to make the most spectacular photos ever taken in our household of that great temple at Xunantunech. It was to be the pinnacle of that cruise and I lay awake many night planning all the shots I was going to take. On the bus ride back from the ruins and as we approached the port for our return to the ship, I opened the 35 mm camera we'd taken all the pics with to retrieve the roll of film. Guess what wasn't there.:mad:

As an alternative in Belize there is also a combined excursion thats neat. It is boating upstream on the River Wallace through urbanized, rural and jungle areas seeing oodles of wildlife (manatee, birds monkeys etc) After boating upstream you board buses to Altun Ha- another significant ruin worth catching.

Would this tour be doable for a fairly healthy 76 year old?

Would this tour be doable for a fairly healthy 76 year old?

Absolutely! But one has to make your own health judgments about climbing to the top of the pyramid once on the site of the ruin- but I am a well insulated and thoroughly padded 60 year old who is several ounces overweight, and I make it up fine (although not as fast as when I was 48). As I recall the main temple is about 130 feet high and the top is above the surrounding forest canopy. The steps up can be taken at a slow pace.

Even at that there is plenty of experience at Xunantunich at ground level if you don't want to climb the steps to the top of the.

The buses are air conditioned motor coaches so there plenty of comfort.

While Altun Ha was interesting, we didn't quite get out of Altun Ha what we did at Xunantunech.

This was primarily because the trip to Xunantunich across the country to the ruins, the location next to Guatemala, the Mopan River crossing, and the spectacular views were an experience that we have not found at other Mayan sites we have visited. We also didn't feel any time constraints on that excursion as they always made more than enough time to experience the site without pressure.

As I recall we've been to 6 Mayan sites over the years. This one was hands down the best.

Theres a bunch of pics on the web about the site. You might want to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion, but time constraints dictate only a 7 day cruise.

I am leaning towards the Magic out of Galveston

Hi,

Magic will not stop at Progreso. If Progreso is out then

Uxmal and Chichen Itza are out.

The Magic does stop in Belize and Cozumel and you have a few nice choices.

In Belize, as previously stated, Xunantunich (shoe-NAN-tune-itch) is

awesome. Some uphill walking. Climbing to the top of the large temple

is fun. Great view. Your descent starts through a 'unique' opening...to say

the least.

Altun Ha is another option in Belize. Some climbing allowed.

I would rate Xunantunich as most active if you climb everything, or

rate it at moderate if you walk the plaza areas only and skip the 130 footer.

Cozumel. Carnival offers Tulum and it is a beautiful site on the Caribbean

but no climbing allowed. Walk on paths. Carnival does not offer Coba Ruin

tours...too bad. Coba has another awesome temple climb, 138'.

Now there are other ruins in Belize that I have visited that Carnival doesn't

offer. As an example, Carnival doesn't offer Lamanai in Belize...maybe

because they don't stay in port long enough. Cahal Pech is another that

CCL doesn't offer in Belize. I already mentioned Coba from Cozumel...CCL

doesn't have that tour. Those are Royal and maybe NCL cruise tours, I believe.

If it were me, of the Magic choices, I'd do Xunantunich in Belize.

The bus ride through the country, the hand operated ferry across the Mopan River,

the interesting climb and the nice Belize style grilled lunch made it worthwhile for me.

I've done Lamanai and if Lamanai becomes available I might do that one instead. I

recommend doing Carnival tours for these ruins because of the time involved.

Just my 1/4 Peso ($.02).

:cool:

Edit: Belize, for me is ALL about Mayan tours and not walking around the port area...

not much there to do. Oh, San Gervasio in Coz...not much as ruins go.

Hi,

In Belize, as previously stated, Xunantunich (shoe-NAN-tune-itch) is

awesome. Some uphill walking. Climbing to the top of the large temple

is fun. Great view. Your descent starts through a 'unique' opening...to say

the least.

Altun Ha is another option in Belize. Some climbing allowed.

I would rate Xunantunich as most active if you climb everything, or

rate it at moderate if you walk the plaza areas only and skip the 130 footer.

If it were me, of the Magic choices, I'd do Xunantunich in Belize.

The bus ride through the country, the hand operated ferry across the Mopan River,

the interesting climb and the nice Belize style grilled lunch made it worthwhile for me.

I've done Lamanai and if Lamanai becomes available I might do that one instead. I

recommend doing Carnival tours for these ruins because of the time involved.

Just my 1/4 Peso ($.02).

Even at that there is plenty of experience at Xunantunich at ground level if you don't want to climb the steps to the top of the.

The buses are air conditioned motor coaches so there plenty of comfort.

While Altun Ha was interesting, we didn't quite get out of Altun Ha what we did at Xunantunech.

This was primarily because the trip to Xunantunich across the country to the ruins, the location next to Guatemala, the Mopan River crossing, and the spectacular views were an experience that we have not found at other Mayan sites we have visited. We also didn't feel any time constraints on that excursion as they always made more than enough time to experience the site without pressure.

As I recall we've been to 6 Mayan sites over the years. This one was hands down the best.

Theres a bunch of pics on the web about the site. You might want to check it out.

Great thread!!

My family is going to Belize this summer and I am currently booked with Altun Ha and Baboon Sanctuary. Xunantunech sounds more interesting. How much longer of a day was it for Xunantunech compared to Altun Ha?

I have 3 teens who would be fine with it, but I am mostly worried about my 9 year old. Thanks :)

Hi,

Altun Ha tour had two versions last time I knew...one with

a boat ride; one by bus. I think the shortest was by bus. See a map,

it is closest to Belize city.

Xunantunich is all day, BUT, everybody dozed off on the

bus ride back...exercise, BBQ and Beliken beer no doubt.

We had a youngster in our climb, maybe 8 or 9....he had NO trouble

with the climb...made us old guys look bad(der).

It'll be hot in summer...bring extra bottled water and drink often.

Have fun.

We did the Altun Ha ruins / River Wallace boat excursion on our Legend cruise that stopped in Belize. It is the only Carnival excursion that we've ever done (we usually book on our own)...and I thought it was really enjoyable. We had our small children with us (ages 2 and 6) and my mother-in-law (age 54)...and we all had a good time. The ruins were interesting and we saw iguanas, crocodiles, monkeys, etc on the boat ride. The worst part was the heat...around 95 degrees in early October w/high humidity. I would recommend the excursion though...my 6 year old said it was her favorite thing that entire cruise. :)

I would recommend Xunantunech in Belize or Tulum outside of Playa del Carmen. Tulum is usually offered as a tour out of Cozumel. If you do the exotic Western Caribbean cruise going to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel, you can see both sights if you are so inclined.

We did the Altun Ha ruins / River Wallace boat excursion on our Legend cruise that stopped in Belize. It is the only Carnival excursion that we've ever done (we usually book on our own)...and I thought it was really enjoyable. We had our small children with us (ages 2 and 6) and my mother-in-law (age 54)...and we all had a good time. The ruins were interesting and we saw iguanas, crocodiles, monkeys, etc on the boat ride. The worst part was the heat...around 95 degrees in early October w/high humidity. I would recommend the excursion though...my 6 year old said it was her favorite thing that entire cruise. :)

We are thinking of this excursion also. DH says he will not go unless booked with the ship because of the time frame. Glad you had a good time. Our son is 17 and I really want him to experience seeing the ruins.

Great thread!!

My family is going to Belize this summer and I am currently booked with Altun Ha and Baboon Sanctuary. Xunantunech sounds more interesting. How much longer of a day was it for Xunantunech compared to Altun Ha?

I have 3 teens who would be fine with it, but I am mostly worried about my 9 year old. Thanks :)

Both are long days. Xunantunich takes the whole day you are in Belize and is about the last excursion to return (always book this one through Carnival for protection on this one).

River Wallace/Altun Ha ate up most of the day but seems like we got in a bit earlier than the Xunantunich tour. It just wasn't the tour hit for us that Xunantunich was.

I think that there is enough activity and scenery that a 9 year old would do fine. Might want to have something to keep them occupied on the bus in case he/she isn't into seeing the surrounding land.

There is a lunch stop (I think I recall its included)on the way back to the ship which we found refreshing and interesting on the Xunantunich excursions.That breaks up the 90 minute return nicely.

Over the years I've paid a fortune for our family in various excursions from the ships we've been on. On the Xunantunich tour we felt we did get our money's worth each of the three times we went on this Carnival excursion. (We've done Belize 6 times now).

I think with younger folks learning a bit about the Mayan history and culture before the trip makes such visits a bit more interesting, less abstract and more meaningful. Otherwise it might just come across as a big pile of rocks?? We did a good bit of discussion about the Mayans before our first trip there with our daughter about 10 years ago (she was about 11 then). She really got into it and was all over the ruins when we got there. She built a life long memory from it. We always had great tour guides that interacted well with younger folks and talked the whole trip providing information about the country, surrounding areas and the ruins.

Thanks for all of the input. After showing pics and videos to the folks, I decided to do the Belize chingo and maybe try to get Tulum in Cozumel.

After doing so many west coast trips, the Magic is going to be a great time, especially since Dad may not want to cruise much more.

Thanks for all of the input. After showing pics and videos to the folks, I decided to do the Belize chingo and maybe try to get Tulum in Cozumel.

After doing so many west coast trips, the Magic is going to be a great time, especially since Dad may not want to cruise much more.

Magic will be great and the Itinerary will allow you to visit two Mayan sites. To us, Tulum was more "impressive" than many rate it; the only downside to the Tulum excursion from Cozumel is the 45 minute Ferry ride to the mainland which is often VERY choppy and not enjoyable to those with motion sickness.

ken

We are thinking of this excursion also. DH says he will not go unless booked with the ship because of the time frame. Glad you had a good time. Our son is 17 and I really want him to experience seeing the ruins.

Your husband is spot on. We booked the Tulum tour through Carnival....thank goodness we did because we were a full hour after sail time getting back to the ship. They held it for us. :-)

I highly recommend Tulum. Magnificent Maya ruins perched on the edge of cliff overlooking the sea. Very much within the capacity of a spry 76 year old as you cannot climb on the ruins. They also have a shuttle which takes you from the parking lot to the ruins themselves.

I liked Tulum better than Chichen Itza, I don't think it will disappoint you. I would also suggest you think about doing Altun Ha/River Wallace if you do Tulum. It is not as long a tour, the boat ride down the river is really fun. That way you get to see two Mayan sites without having two really long days.

I have not done Xunantunich, mostly because it is a long day, it's on my list. I have done Altun Ha twice, took my in-laws and they really enjoyed it even without climbing anything.

I have only done these as Carnival tours, I felt the extra cost was worth the peace of mind in knowing the ship would wait for us.

I am currently booked on a private Altun Ha and Baboon Sanctary located in Belize with Nacho and Cynthia. We will be in Belize from 8am to 5pm. Nacho assured me that he will get us back in time. Am I safe going private with this tour...we don't want to get stuck in Belize. There will be 9 of us. :confused:

Archived