hotel/transport advice in Miami/FT L needed

Charlie Chan

I'm sorry if this seems too basic - but we haven't been to this part of the world before. It's all very exciting.

We're flying into Miami next March - spending 3 nights there before a cruise which leaves from Ft Lauderdale.

The new airport link will be open. We're considering the Hampton Inn Bricknell. It gets great reviews. Is the location fine for us as tourists? It appears that we will be able to take the train from the airport to Bricknell and walk to the hotel.

How difficult will it be to get from Bricknell to the transfer station (Tri-Rail) in order to take the train to Ft Lauderdale? It seems that we would just take the green line. It will be a Friday morning, and that's all we'll be doing that day - joining the cruise - so there is no time pressure.

Which station would we leave the train in Ft Lauderdale? I guess we would then have to take a taxi to the port. How difficult is this?

We're quite used to catching public transport when travelling - have done the Rome to port journey with no problems. I wouldn't want to carry suitcases up lots of stairs, however.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I'm sorry if this seems too basic - but we haven't been to this part of the world before. It's all very exciting.

We're flying into Miami next March - spending 3 nights there before a cruise which leaves from Ft Lauderdale.

The new airport link will be open. We're considering the Hampton Inn Bricknell. It gets great reviews. Is the location fine for us as tourists? It appears that we will be able to take the train from the airport to Bricknell and walk to the hotel.

How difficult will it be to get from Bricknell to the transfer station (Tri-Rail) in order to take the train to Ft Lauderdale? It seems that we would just take the green line. It will be a Friday morning, and that's all we'll be doing that day - joining the cruise - so there is no time pressure.

Which station would we leave the train in Ft Lauderdale? I guess we would then have to take a taxi to the port. How difficult is this?

We're quite used to catching public transport when travelling - have done the Rome to port journey with no problems. I wouldn't want to carry suitcases up lots of stairs, however.

I just wanted to comment on the Hotel. The location of the Hotel will be fine. The major tourist area is in places such as South Beach. The downtown area where the Hampton is located attracts tourists but since it is downtown it also features lots of office buildings (finance is big) and also many condominiums and apartments. We stay downtown and like being in the downtown area.

I am not familiar with the tri-rail so hopefully others can comment. I just want to note that a taxi would run around $24.00 and is very convenient so if it was me and I had luggage I would probably take the taxi just to avoid walking with luggage in the city but as you get more specifics on the rail you can make an informed decision.

Keith

Sorry about the spelling - should be Brickell.

Thank you Keith - we are happy to look at other areas for hotels - just want to be somewhere where it is easy to get around so we can enjoy the sites. Some of the well known hotels at the beach were very expensive. (Even the Hampton Inn was round $750 for the 3 nights but it does include breakfast). We're not confident enough to use Priceline bidding in an area we don't know, plus the beginning of March is probably a busy time.

The new airport link will be open. We're considering the Hampton Inn Bricknell. It gets great reviews. Is the location fine for us as tourists?

Yes the new Airport Link should be open. From the airport you would take the MIA Mover to the Metrorail, from there you would take the Orange Line train to Brickell Station. At Brickell Station you would cross the street on the East side of the station and your hotel is right there.

To return board either an Orange Line or Green Line train northbound to Tri-Rail Transfer station, walk across following the signs to Tri-Rail. All stations have elevators.

My only concern right now is the stations from the airport to Brickell are not in the best areas. I don't know how safe I would feel on it with tons of luggage. That being said- supposedly there will be security on the airport train. I won't know as the service is starting this Saturday afternoon. I will try the new service in August. Ordinairly I wouldn't worry about Metrorail on weekdays during daylight hours.

The Hampton Inn Brickell is in an excellent part of town. You will be fine there.

Thanks everyone

I've looked at the location of the hotel and it seems very convenient - can take the metromover to the Bayside Markets area. I'll go ahead and book it.

On your advice, we'll probably take a taxi to the hotel - will be pretty tired after the flight from Australia. Then we'll have time to investigate the Tri Rail more closely. It seems practical. I've searched the T.A forum and it seems you leave the train at Dania Beach stop. Then take a cab to the port. We're pretty good at packing - will have one pull along each and a back pack, so I think it will work well.

Thanks again.

CC

Archived