Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

Now if only they can do something about the Itineraries:D

Itineraries? I am one who promised to stop cruising Royal when they abandoned the West Coast. Recently, I have slipped a little;) But if the new menu is true, then maybe, just maybe, I will have to start flying a little bit more. It sounds almost as good as Celebrity and with the Royal perks too....

Well, it looks like I've decided to come back to RCI just at the right time. Yesterday, after an absence of 13 years, I booked the Allure of the Seas for this December. My last three cruises were with Celebrity so it'll be interesting to see how the food compares on this new menu. I was just about committed to not eating in the MDR while on Allure, maybe now I'll have to see about dropping in there one or two nights. I wonder how this upgraded menu will affect bookings in the specialty restaurants?

Hi there,

I do remember the midnight buffets and watched in awe at the sculptures,although truth be told it was a waste of food as so many people had just finished dinner and couldn't eat another bite.. I have a memory of flambed crepe suzzettes at the table, anyone else remember that ???

It is time for an reviatlised menu, just hope the quality will also improve. I will keep my fingers crossed that they will trial some of this on Vision in Aug...

Royal Caribbean will make an announcement tomorow, thru a TA webinar, to give a "taste' of some of the new things to come to the MDR.

This will be fleet wide.. way before some dates mentioned here, and I will not publish anything..........before Royal Caribbean does.

What I can tell you..............it's going to be awesome!!:D:);)

Rick

I really really hope the Oasis new menu is released 1 week before 8/25/12 sailing as mentioned by OP.

We're sailing on the Oasis departing 8/18/12 and as we're travelling from Australia I doubt we will be get the chance to do another cruise with RCC.

Fingers crossed for an early menu release.

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Bon Appetite Everyone!

That is ironic, I will give everyone a critique next week as I am sailing on the Freedom July 29th. I am sure that all will look forward to the new menu and I will be one of the first to enjoy the new selections in the MDR. I will try to give a daily update while on the Freedom next week as well as taking a few pictures for posting.

Best,

Smitty

This is a brilliant move. I like the MDR food, but its not incredible like you used to hear cruise food used to be. This I think will serve RCCL very well. I wish they would upgrade the windjammer food just a tad as well, it doesn't have to be 5 star in there but it could use a bit of an upgrade as well.

Royal Caribbean will make an announcement tomorow, thru a TA webinar, to give a "taste' of some of the new things to come to the MDR.

It sure would be nice for Royal Caribbean to announce this to the public, as soon as they can, if this is really going to happen.

Let's face it.........Royal Caribbean lacks in food! Everyone agree with that statement?

Royal Caribbean knows it, and frankly, they are getting tired of reading all of the comment cards that tells them that they are a great line, except.........the food sucks! Well.......OK.....pick your own word.

So, food has become an issue. Someone got past the bean counter to the real head of the company.............and an experiment was born.

This will be fleet wide.. way before some dates mentioned here, and I will not publish anything..........before Royal Caribbean does.

What I can tell you..............it's going to be awesome!!:D:);)

Rick

I honestly was very skeptical UNTIL I read YOUR post. Over the years I have come to understand that you have your finger on the pulse of RCI and what will happen before it happens.

I doubt RCI could ignore the nasty food comments much longer. It really was pervasive fleet wide and so glad they are finally doing something about it. It still sounds too good to be true though. That's the skeptic in me. :rolleyes:

I also would love to know where this new food budget will come from given that so many things have been cut to save money.

Remember, Rick, I'm the "other" Bonnie. :p

We also enjoy the food in the MDR, but a change will be nice. Very nice!!

Just remember that when new items are added, some will have to go. Can't wait to hear some of the complaints about that. I just hope they get rid of that awful vidalia onion tart.

JK:D

Whilst I agree that the food product was different 10 years ago, it was never at the same standard as todays $30 Speciality Restaurants.

Many people comment on the changes over the years, but few complain that cruise prices are now often lower than they were 10 years ago. We simply cannot have it both ways. cruising has become more affordable to many. I for one am happy to have the option to choose if I want to pay extra for the high quality offered in the various Speciality Dining options. :D

Of course I am happy to see some changes to the menus, and always hope that food standards are at the highest possible for the amount I pay for my cruise. But we should all consider value for money before commenting on quality. Yes I know that many in the top suites do pay alot for their cabin space, but for the majority of us, I still think that the food offerings on a cruise ship holiday remains great value.

How many of us would prefer to pay say an extra $35 on a 7 night cruise, in order that the food cost budget could be increased by the same amount. Put my name on the top of that list, but who would join me.........:D

So true. We shouldn't have to spend $30 extra in a specialty restaurant just to get the quality of food we had 10 years ago.

I'm on the Allure in December and was poking at booking the specialty restaurants. I think I will hold off now. But please, and tell me if anyone agrees with me, that they change up the actual royal Caribbean signature plate itself!!! I think for a classy ship we could use some classy plates to put our food on!!!!!

Archived