How to carry stuff in port?...

familytrip4us

I cross posted a similar post in the Bermuda section as that is where we are headed. I thought you guys might be more helpful since you have varying ages of kids.

I am wondering what is the best/safest way to carry personal items while we are in port. We obviously would have some cash, IDs, camera, water and small personal items like germ-x/lipbalm. We also need to carry epipens and allergy meds for one of our kids; he is not reliable to carry a fanny pack or the like with this. How is it best to deal with that stuff? Messenger/crossbody/ backpack/ smaller purse plus something else (but what)?

We also are looking forward to going to Horseshoe Beach. I am figuring bringing swimsuits, towels, sunscreen and such would also be desired at that point. Do you go back to ship, get that and come back? I am guessing a tote for that stuff?

In Bermuda, crime will not be prevelant....of course, you should watch where you are, and what you're doing, like you would at home. Put your stuff in a small purse, or tote....You don't need body armour or metal straps on your purse or backpack.

You will easily be able to see your stuff, even while you're taking a dip. No need to bring anything you don't need....leave the expensive cameras and electronics on the ship.

Bring only a few dollars, 1 credit card (not the one you're using to link your shipboard account)...and your cabin key. Credit card and key are plastic...waterproof!

Stick the epi-pen in your tote. No one wants your personal stuff...if someone wants to steal anything, it would be pricey electronic stuff.

Wear your swimsuits, under clothes or coverups....no need to be doing the outfit change thing. Bring your towels and sunscreen...and a book, if you read...that's all you need!

You are waaaaay overthinking this!

Personally, with myself and kids, I ALWAYS use a crossbody and/or backpack so I can be handsfree. It is much easier for my balance, and to have access to holding hands, holding onto bus railings, etc, if I am not juggling bags with me. I also have each child wear her own small/light backback (like a string backpack, not a bookbag packpack). That way if they make small purchases, they can carry them themselve, also hands free. They can each carry their own towel =, sunglasses, book, or water bottle in thier backpacs. This is what I find the easiest.

I second the crossbody back pack. We are a family of 4 that includes 2 kids. We wear our swim suits under our clothes. In the bag usually goes sunscreen and only 2 towels. Those towels get heavy so we share them. I also put the id and $ in a small little purse that I put in the bag. I actually use a Vera Bradly little messenger purse. That way we can pull only it out for $ or id.

I also put some underwear in the bag for the kids to change if they need. Sometimes after the beach they are tired and grumpy and changing helps with that. Next cruise my daughter will be 10 so I think she will carry her own bag.

Archived