Camera Tripods

clojacks

I'm undecided whether I want to make room to take a tripod with me for my camera when we head to Alaska for a cruisetour in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any advice or stories as to why they are absolutely glad they had it, or didn't have it with them?

I always bring it because I know if I don't I will need it and wish I had it. I have not even used it on a couple trips, but many times I have. I like to play around with long exposure shots etc. If you aren't into that I doubt you will need a tripod unless your taking along a 600mm lens that is to heavy to shoot handheld.

We just retruned from our cruise and land tour. We usually always bring our tripod. This year, due to luggage limitations, and the thing is so darn heavy, we decided to bring our small (10 inch?) tripod that was made for our spotting scope but fits our camera as well. We did not use it at all. We are glad we did not bring the bigger tripod.

A "Gorillapod" makes an excellent travel tripod. Google this or take a look on Amazon or LL Bean. While not a traditional tripod, it fits the requirements of many situations, is extremely lightweight and small. We always travel with one, and only on more serious strictly photo expeditions do we tote our large tripods.

Another alternative is a "walking stick" tripod. We have adapted a walking stick with a tripod attachment. While it must be handheld, it gives much more stability for video shooting. We have a cork ball to affix to the pointed end to get it through security when we are traveling with carry-ons. It has been on numerous trips with us. The walking stick telescopes and collapses to a 12" length, making it also easy to carry on a day trip.

These are our two travel tripod solutions and they've worked amazingly well.

A "Gorillapod" makes an excellent travel tripod. Google this or take a look on Amazon or LL Bean. While not a traditional tripod, it fits the requirements of many situations, is extremely lightweight and small. We always travel with one, and only on more serious strictly photo expeditions do we tote our large tripods.

Another alternative is a "walking stick" tripod. We have adapted a walking stick with a tripod attachment. While it must be handheld, it gives much more stability for video shooting. We have a cork ball to affix to the pointed end to get it through security when we are traveling with carry-ons. It has been on numerous trips with us. The walking stick telescopes and collapses to a 12" length, making it also easy to carry on a day trip.

These are our two travel tripod solutions and they've worked amazingly well.

I looked at the Gorillapods, but like the first poster said, I also like to play with exposure shots. Have you used the JOBY for anything like that? Curled it to a railing or something?

I looked at the Gorillapods, but like the first poster said, I also like to play with exposure shots. Have you used the JOBY for anything like that? Curled it to a railing or something?

I have...I used it for northern lights pics this spring. Even though I was in the house, we don't have level window ledges, and even if we did, it sure wouldn't have aimed the lens the correct way. The little tripod was great! Worked far better than a conventional tripod would have, as the way my windows open, there wouldn't have been space for one.

Tripod and mono-pods are good accessories if you are in need of support or for lowlight. I've generally packed them in my carryones with little grief from TSA as they always see the 30lbs of camera gear I'm also often lugging.

The Gorillapod works great for exposure shots. It can be curled and affixed to a vertical or horizontal railing. It also works well for self-timer shots where the photographer wants to be in the photo.

Wouldn't go on a trip without it! There have been trips that I didnt' use it and others that it came in very handy on. For Alaska, the main reason it is definately coming with me is because if I have the chance to catch the northern lights and didn't have a tripod I would never forgive myself. Like someone else mentioned, I like to play with long exposures for moving water and for night time photography.

I don't bring my big boy, too much weight. Instead I have a travel tripod that comes with me when I fly. It still stand pretty much much full height but I bring my more expensive ball head and mount to it so I have the stability I need for the wieght of the camera plus lens.

Has anybody had any experience shooting long exposure shots from the ship? Does the movement of the ship, whether anchored or tied up, make the shots too blurry to worry about have a tripod with me? The more I debate whether I want to pack a tripod, the more I am trying to decide under what conditions I might actually use it. I'd appreciate any comments from those who brought them, or are considering it, as to what shots they feel they might really need it for?

Has anybody had any experience shooting long exposure shots from the ship? Does the movement of the ship, whether anchored or tied up, make the shots too blurry to worry about have a tripod with me? The more I debate whether I want to pack a tripod, the more I am trying to decide under what conditions I might actually use it. I'd appreciate any comments from those who brought them, or are considering it, as to what shots they feel they might really need it for?

Im not to fond of tripods

I pack a Manfrotto Monopod with my camera gear and carry it wherever I go. Its light and compact.

Here is one from 1am while ship is cruising

2j4exqr.jpg

Archived