Transportation from Rome to Venice

johnmik1

We visit Italy often and we do use the rail service. We have witnessed many, many travellers from North America who have too much luggage. Some we feel sorry for. Others have just so much that it is somewhat humourous to see them try and get it organized and on the train.

If you plan to travel by rail, our best advice would be to only take luggage that you can easily handle by yourself-both in terms of size and weight. You are not just carrying this luggage, you are lifting it up to the rail car and at times lifting it into the luggage storage area. Often, at Termini for example, the track is not announced until moments prior to the trains arrival. Then there is a mad dash to get to the right track and make your way up the platform to the correct car. We travel with a 21" and a 24" roller and one carry on between us. That is what we find that we can easily handle...and keep an eye on because of thievery.

exactly...and to try to paint a picture that train travel for a large group with lots of luggage is easy is just not true...thank you.:)

I still have this vision in my mind from a few years ago at Termini. A family, with three older daughters, running to catch the train.

The dad was trying to carry a 27 in suitcase in each hand (I presume his and his DW's)..and run at the same time. He had a laptop bag over across his shoulder/chest and a camera bag across the other shoulder/chest.

His wife was running behind with what appeared to be a huge carry-at the same time trying to help the daughters who each had a carry on and a 27" suicase. All brand new, red shiny luggage.

They ended up in our car. My son started laughing, and then I followed. Could not stop. It looked like something out of the Keystone Cops. They were all dressed in their designer clothes...the ones with all the labels on the outside. How they got any enjoyment from the trip after all that was beyond us. I looked around the car and everyone else was snickering and laughing as well. Poor smuck.

I always traveled with Eurail passes figuring that would give me flexibility but in high season- you are not guaranteed a seat unless you reserve said seat. So there goes any flexibility.

If you are going to do the trains and have any notion of having a seat- book ahead.

From Milan to Venice my son and I sat in on the floor in the luggage area. Same holds true from Southampton to London.

Trains are great if you have reserved seats- otherwise it's a crapshoot.

Archived