Transportation from Rome to Venice

johnmik1

We are sailing on a transatlantic from Venice but flights are easier to Rome.I assume that a train would be the best form of transportation.Has anyone done this and is it difficult to get luggage aboard and from the train to a hotel in Venice?Thanks in advance for any advice!

No it is not difficult at all. You will have to lift your luggage on and find space for it and there are various options. There are highspeed trains and there are regional trains. The best tip would be to buy your tickets in advance- where you'll have assigned seats and it will be more comfortable.

These sites might be helpful to you...

https://cart.italiarail.com/tickets/TrainSchedulesN.aspx?Aff=TRE&pd_id=4479

and

Rail Europe

We did this exact thing. We flew into Rome, spent a couple days there and then took the train to Venice. I bought the tickets ahead of time on the Trenitalia website and managed to get mini fares which were quite good, though I think they may have discontinued this program. We bought second class tickets on one of the high speed trains. When you buy tickets you get assigned seats like on an airplane. We had no trouble finding the track or our seats in Rome. It was somewhat difficult getting our large pieces of luggage up the stairs onto the train, but we managed.

It took about 4 hours to get to Venice and I think there were only 3 stops along the way. 2nd class was fine. The train was clean comfortable and seemed new. It had a nice clean bathroom and there was a food car that my husband bought some snacks at. At the end of each car there is a place for luggage, like you would find in a car rental shuttle bus. It did get full though by the time the last people got on the train.

In Venice we stayed at a hotel that was just around the corner from the train station (which is also not too far from Piazzale Roma) so it was quite easy to get to the hotel.

We took the Italian trains from Rome to Venice, then Venice to Florence and finally on back to Rome. Second class, as others have mentioned, is fine on the express service trains. The next step down is the Intercity trains, then finally local service trains. If budget allows, stick with the express services.

The website is www.trenitalia.com. I hope it works - back in 2009, it was a bit of a crapshoot trying to book anything in advance. However, you can usually book tickets at the train station the day of. Also, there are LOTS of trains going back and forth. Do have a backup plan though, as delays can happen.

As with other places in Europe, be mindful of pickpockets and scammers. One scam is that people "help" you get your luggage on the train. After you are situated, they expect you to pay for your services. Just handle your luggage yourself and watch for people getting to close to it and you'll be fine.

Santa Lucia station in Venice is one bridge away from Piazzale Roma.

We went all over Italy for 18 days using the fast speed trains with Trenitalia. You can buy your tickets on their website or use Rail Europe. One of them was giving me a hard time with the credit card so I used the other.

We booked first class because it was more comfortable and bigger seats. You do have to carry the luggage up the stairs and put them over or under your seat.

Next yr we are taking a cruise out of Venice. We plan to take a nonstop from Miami-Rome on Alitalia. We did that in 2007 to Milan and it was very nice.

We took the train from Rome to Venice this past May, purchasing a mini-fare online several months prior to departure. While we saved a lot of money using the minifare, be aware that once you purchase this type of ticket it is non-refundable nor can you change the time. Since our flight arrived early, we had only carry-on luggage and zipped through customs, we ended up 'cooling our heels for 2 1/2 hrs. at the train station in Rome.

The train is fine if you are going from downtown to downtown (in fact it's ideal), but if you are starting from the airport why not simply fly? There are low cost airlines you can use, or Alitalia, which is only charging 73 Euro right now for a one way ticket. Contrast that with 80 Euro for the FRECCIARGENTO, to which you need to add the cost, time and aggravation of getting from the airport to the train station.

We did this exact thing. We flew into Rome, spent a couple days there and then took the train to Venice. I bought the tickets ahead of time on the Trenitalia website and managed to get mini fares which were quite good, though I think they may have discontinued this program. We bought second class tickets on one of the high speed trains. When you buy tickets you get assigned seats like on an airplane. We had no trouble finding the track or our seats in Rome. It was somewhat difficult getting our large pieces of luggage up the stairs onto the train, but we managed.

It took about 4 hours to get to Venice and I think there were only 3 stops along the way. 2nd class was fine. The train was clean comfortable and seemed new. It had a nice clean bathroom and there was a food car that my husband bought some snacks at. At the end of each car there is a place for luggage, like you would find in a car rental shuttle bus. It did get full though by the time the last people got on the train.

In Venice we stayed at a hotel that was just around the corner from the train station (which is also not too far from Piazzale Roma) so it was quite easy to get to the hotel.

hi DEEDEEtoo

can you tell me the name of the hotel in venice near the train station? We will be doing the trip from Venice-Rome after our cruise in September

Do you remember the price of the 2nd class tickets?

thanks

hi DEEDEEtoo

can you tell me the name of the hotel in venice near the train station? We will be doing the trip from Venice-Rome after our cruise in September

Do you remember the price of the 2nd class tickets?

thanks

I just checked my receipt and I paid 165E for 4 of us to travel. These were mini tickets though, not standard fare. Out hotel in Venice was the La Locanda di Orsaria.

The train is fine if you are going from downtown to downtown (in fact it's ideal), but if you are starting from the airport why not simply fly? There are low cost airlines you can use, or Alitalia, which is only charging 73 Euro right now for a one way ticket. Contrast that with 80 Euro for the FRECCIARGENTO, to which you need to add the cost, time and aggravation of getting from the airport to the train station.

Luggage restrictions might be ONE BIG reason to not fly locally. I have found domestic flights in Europe to be limited to 1 bag at 44 lbs.

Having traveled across the pond, where baggage was 2 items at 50 lbs each or 1 bag at 50 lbs. Continuing on a domestic flight can be problematic.

And I've read where some are even more restrictive.

Luggage restrictions are a big issue with the low price airlines but not with Alitalia, which has luggage policies similar to the major US airlines.

Maybe if it is a longhaul connecting flight but if there is more than a few hour layover in Rome...and the connecting flight is a few days later...the connecting flight is considered short haul..with different luggage restrictions...

case in point...regarding aerlingus..and yes I know we are talking about Alitalia here....

We were boarding our Barca to JFK flight...which incuded a plane change in Dublin...,,2 different size planes...

we were considered long haul and had a much more generous baggage allowance than the group checking in right next to us....on the same Barca to Dublin leg of the trip.....they were only flying Barca to Dublin and even though it was the same plane to Dublin...they DID NOT have the same generous luggage allowance...as they were considered short haul....and were being asked/told to pay several hundred Euro in weight charges...of course they just opened their luggage and shifted stuff around...put on as much clothing as they could..and stuffed their purses...which aren't weighed.....we of course were able to check everything with a higher weight limit with no problem.

so...if you are flying from USA immeadiately to Venice..via a plane change in Rome...even if the plane in smaller in Rome..you are considered long haul....with better luggage restrictions....

but if you are flying USA to Rome....then staying there for awhile and flying to Venice a few days later....your Venice flight is considered shorthaul..with less generous luggage allowances....

It is like this all over Europe..and much of the USA as well....and one of the reasons that if you keep an eagle eye out in European airports...you will find most are flying with 19 inch.. carry ons...not 21 inch overstuffed carryons..

Great point about the difference between long haul and local flights. As I think about it I think I've only made these short hops as part of an overseas flight, not as a stand alone flight, so I haven't run into this issue.

The point for those considering this is to ensure that both flights (your overseas flight and the local flight) are connected in one record locator so your luggage is checked through to the final destination.

Carry on has not been an issue for us (and we had 40 people taking short flights between Rome and Pisa and back) as recently as last year - but our flights were connected to overseas flights.

Have you considered flying into Milan?

Milan is closer and it is a major air hub for southern Europe. Flights to and from Milan are sometimes less expensive than flights to Rome. Milan airport has reasonable rail connections.

Great point about the difference between long haul and local flights. As I think about it I think I've only made these short hops as part of an overseas flight, not as a stand alone flight, so I haven't run into this issue.

The point for those considering this is to ensure that both flights (your overseas flight and the local flight) are connected in one record locator so your luggage is checked through to the final destination.

Carry on has not been an issue for us (and we had 40 people taking short flights between Rome and Pisa and back) as recently as last year - but our flights were connected to overseas flights.

surprised you didn't know this. When I was making my flight arrangements for this recent trip and realized that we would be transferring in Dublin, I immeadiately checked out the luggage issues when flying the "shorthaul" portion.

and the only reason I knew to do this was from...hearing friends explain this.and..reading the airlines website..coupled with good planning...of course I also called the airlines local call center and reconfirmed the luggage restrictions....good thing I did this because when we were boarding the shorthaul portion of our longhaul flight...the gate clerk decided to check the deminsions of my bag...which did not of course meet the shorthaul requirements....but before I needed to pull out my website printout explaining my situation...he let me thru.

btw..Euro...did you see my update regarding the free kid at the Colesieum undergraound tour?

So we are all dealing with facts, from the Alitalia Italian web site, hand luggage is restricted to the following dimensions and weights:

8 kg (17.6 lbs.)

21.6" x 13.8" x 9.8"

65-48720misure_hand_baggage.jpg

You are limited to one carry on bag plus one "personal" bag (laptop, purse, etc.).

surprised you didn't know this.

LOL - I'm not. I learn every day how much I don't know.

Back to the point of this informative side conversation, I think if you are concerned about luggage amount and weight on a flight, you should be equally or even more concerned about taking the train with that same luggage. You'd have to get that luggage from the airport to the train station, then onto to the train, find a place for it, then off the train. I say this from experience, we once had so much luggage that two of us had to take half of it to Termini and store it, then come back and get the others and the rest of the luggage. We were not a pretty sight getting on or off that train (from Rome to Venice).

All of that said, I love taking the trains in Italy. I just don't think it's always the best solution.

We are sailing on a transatlantic from Venice but flights are easier to Rome.I assume that a train would be the best form of transportation.Has anyone done this and is it difficult to get luggage aboard and from the train to a hotel in Venice?Thanks in advance for any advice!

We just did exactly what you are saying...but we did it because we wanted to stay 5 nights in rome prior to going to venice for the cruise. Had we not wanted to go to rome, we probably would have gone to paris for a few nights and then on to venice.

we took the train from rome to venice and we had way too much luggage to risk taking the rush hour metro from our hotel and we were not at all interested in staying in the rather unattractive Termini area...so we had a private van and driver pick us up at our hotel in North Rome and drive us to the station...she parked...helped with luggage and brought us right to the track...asked about our train and made sure everything was on time before she left.

this was well worth the 50 euro is cost to not have to deal with the subway...which btw at 8am barely has room for humans let alone humans and 8 pieces of luggage. IMHO...it would have been lunacy for a large family like mine to get to the station any other way but by private van. but then again my sanity is worth the money...as is my safety.

There is not alot of luggage space in the second class reserved seats and we had to split up the luggage and it was fine.

we loved taking the train and will do it again....but seriously..less is more with luggage because you just dont need it....no one cares what you where on a med cruise...because everyone is dressed decently....it is not a carib cruise...and attracts a completely different type of pax.....less clothing will be fine to pack.

LOL - I'm not. I learn every day how much I don't know.

Back to the point of this informative side conversation, I think if you are concerned about luggage amount and weight on a flight, you should be equally or even more concerned about taking the train with that same luggage. You'd have to get that luggage from the airport to the train station, then onto to the train, find a place for it, then off the train. I say this from experience, we once had so much luggage that two of us had to take half of it to Termini and store it, then come back and get the others and the rest of the luggage. We were not a pretty sight getting on or off that train (from Rome to Venice).

All of that said, I love taking the trains in Italy. I just don't think it's always the best solution.

see post #20..lol

also...did you read about my experience with the free kid or not? I told you she would be free..:D

So we are all dealing with facts, from the Alitalia Italian web site, hand luggage is restricted to the following dimensions and weights:

8 kg (176 lbs.)

21.6" x 13.8" x 9.8"

65-48720misure_hand_baggage.jpg

You are limited to one carry on bag plus one "personal" bag (laptop, purse, etc.).

and that is less weight than aerlingus allows for hand luggage...on our longhaul flight we had a 20lb max on hand luggage and 50lb on checked

17.6 lbs for hand luggage is quite low compared to aerlingus

We visit Italy often and we do use the rail service. We have witnessed many, many travellers from North America who have too much luggage. Some we feel sorry for. Others have just so much that it is somewhat humourous to see them try and get it organized and on the train.

If you plan to travel by rail, our best advice would be to only take luggage that you can easily handle by yourself-both in terms of size and weight. You are not just carrying this luggage, you are lifting it up to the rail car and at times lifting it into the luggage storage area. Often, at Termini for example, the track is not announced until moments prior to the trains arrival. Then there is a mad dash to get to the right track and make your way up the platform to the correct car. We travel with a 21" and a 24" roller and one carry on between us. That is what we find that we can easily handle...and keep an eye on because of thievery.

We just did exactly what you are saying...but we did it because we wanted to stay 5 nights in rome prior to going to venice for the cruise. Had we not wanted to go to rome, we probably would have gone to paris for a few nights and then on to venice.

we took the train from rome to venice and we had way too much luggage to risk taking the rush hour metro from our hotel and we were not at all interested in staying in the rather unattractive Termini area...so we had a private van and driver pick us up at our hotel in North Rome and drive us to the station...she parked...helped with luggage and brought us right to the track...asked about our train and made sure everything was on time before she left.

this was well worth the 50 euro is cost to not have to deal with the subway...which btw at 8am barely has room for humans let alone humans and 8 pieces of luggage. IMHO...it would have been lunacy for a large family like mine to get to the station any other way but by private van. but then again my sanity is worth the money...as is my safety.

There is not alot of luggage space in the second class reserved seats and we had to split up the luggage and it was fine.

we loved taking the train and will do it again....but seriously..less is more with luggage because you just dont need it....no one cares what you where on a med cruise...because everyone is dressed decently....it is not a carib cruise...and attracts a completely different type of pax.....less clothing will be fine to pack.

I want to comment on a couple of statements here. First, on the "relatively unattractive Termini area" - we stayed a 10 minute walk from Termini and didn't find it at all unattractive. We were midway between Termini and the Colosseum and frankly the street didn't look a lot different from all the other streets in the center of Rome. IMHO there is nothing wrong with the Termini area. And we were able to walk to the train with our luggage.

Second - you say there is not a lot of storage room in the second class reserved seats. I don't understand this statement. There was a whole section for storing luggage at the end of the car. This did fill up once the train was full, but everyone seemed to find a place for their luggage. There is a space over the seats for smaller pieces in addition to the section at the end. We had no trouble storing our luggage (2 25" suitcases and 2 21" suitcases for 4 people). We did watch our luggage at each stop to make sure someone didn't take it, but there were only 3 stops so this was easy to do. We had been warned about theft but there was so much luggage there and no one else seemed to be watching it that closely that we felt a little silly but did it anyway.

I want to comment on a couple of statements here. First, on the "relatively unattractive Termini area" - we stayed a 10 minute walk from Termini and didn't find it at all unattractive. We were midway between Termini and the Colosseum and frankly the street didn't look a lot different from all the other streets in the center of Rome. IMHO there is nothing wrong with the Termini area. And we were able to walk to the train with our luggage.

Second - you say there is not a lot of storage room in the second class reserved seats. I don't understand this statement. There was a whole section for storing luggage at the end of the car. This did fill up once the train was full, but everyone seemed to find a place for their luggage. There is a space over the seats for smaller pieces in addition to the section at the end. We had no trouble storing our luggage (2 25" suitcases and 2 21" suitcases for 4 people). We did watch our luggage at each stop to make sure someone didn't take it, but there were only 3 stops so this was easy to do. We had been warned about theft but there was so much luggage there and no one else seemed to be watching it that closely that we felt a little silly but did it anyway.

not saying you wont be able to store your lugguage...just saying it will be scattered and the overhead compartments are not very large...we had 4 of our 21 inch rolling pieces in the overhead....but it was several seats away from us and out of site...also the compartment at the end of the car will not hold everyone's luggage on the train...and when there are several large families on the train it will and is difficult.

as far as Termini area is concerned...I prefer North Rome..the piazza del popolo area...via del corso...pantheon..navona....and for my family..we were able to walk and enjoy the areas until late at night....something I would not be doing in the Termini area..simply because of geography.

Strolling the Via del corso... the spanish steps area..the popolo area is nice...and the 3 room ultra modern apartment we got for 5 nights was less expensive than the 1 room that fit 6 I had originally booked at the Termini area Hotel Romae.

I really wasn't too impressed with the Termini area at 8am on the way to the station...and I know we would not have enjoyed being there at night.

But I know that everyone else loves the area and finds it convenient.

Archived