Being charged twice for onboard costs

steveycams

great way to end our trip after finding out we have been charged twice

took the cruise with the Pride of America to the hawaian islands.

flying to Las Vegas the next day with no funds available and cannot contact them to fix the issue

went back to the cruise ship and they did nothing to assist and help me out.

overall very upset and will never cruise with them again.

great way to spoil our Honeymoon

:mad:

i did pay with a debt card but we fully paid for everything prior to getting off the ship then they have taken $200 then a $900 sum from our account with no explanation or a warning of it.

we are back in Honolulu now and head over to Vegas to continue our honeymoon with less $$ we will struggle.

if we knew they would be doing this we would have paid by cash.

now its Saturday and they don't open till Monday and we won't see any money back for a week. It's just not good enough.

The guy Chris back at the dock was not very helpful all he said was ring customer service.

I will be making a complaint to head office and leaving a true statement of what we thought of the ship for everyone who is planing on going on this cruise.

:mad::(

It is not wise to use a debit card on Cruises, Hotel stays, or car rentals, etc. This is not NCL's fault. When ever you use a creit card on a cruise, hotel stay or car rental, the cruiseline, hotel, etc will authorize a certain amount per day while on the cruise. The hold on your funds is by your debit card's issuing BANK. It can take up to 72 hours and in some cases even longer, it depends on your bank's hold policy. Contact your bank to see how long they will keep the hold on your funds. I believe that it is out of NCL's control by now. I would hardly find it necessary to bash NCL, if everything was okay with your cruise up to the point of learning of the funds hold policy, for something that EVERY cruise line has a policy of doing. Your bank will enlighten you on funds hold policy on your debit card. If you have an actual CREDIT card I would highly reccommend using it in the future on a cruise, hotel stay, etc. whether you plan to pay cash at the end of your cruise or not. I hope this helps.

Sorry this happened to you, but as the above poster says. You are angry and speaking to the wrong people. Your bank is who you should be talking to on Monday, not NCL. Your bank is the one who decided what and how long they put holds on your account.

Credit card or Debit card there is a hold put on either for xxx amount, what I have done is call NCL to make sure the holds are released from their end and then call the bank, by doing that you can speed up the restoration of your balance.

We use a credit card and have had to do that when we are traveling after the cruise, but that extra $2.4k that was on our card does make a difference (we normally only use one credit card when we travel). Our bank was available to talk to someone 24/7 and in only took a day or two to clear it up.

First, sorry for the inconvenience; that stinks. But, this doesn't seem like it should really be a surprise and NCL does warn and explain...

From NCL's FAQs on their website:

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to Norwegian's special onboard credit program. Sign up on the first day of your cruise, by establishing your method of payment with a credit card (Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, Diners Club®), travelers checks or cash. If you choose to settle your account with cash, a deposit will be required in advance. Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio. However, if you choose to pay with a debit card, please be advised that Norwegian obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

I also just checked my Welcome Aboard kit for our upcoming cruise. The exact same information is listed near the front under "Departure Day - Create an Account for Onboard Expenses." In bold, it says: "Norwegian Cruise Line does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio. Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases. After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends...Authorization-hold releases are solely within the discretion of your lending institution."

My guess is that there are signs, handouts, and other reminders about this when you sign up for the onboard account at the the pier. I would call your bank first thing on Monday morning and try to get the holds released (as they should know what the actual charge is by then).

Our bank was available to talk to someone 24/7 and in only took a day or two to clear it up.

That's a good point. May not even need to wait until Monday morning. You can probably start the process with your bank's 24 hour line right now. Good luck!

Our bank was available to talk to someone 24/7 and in only took a day or two to clear it up.

Yes my bank is available as well, the phone number is on the back of my debit card. I've never tried to release funds from the phone number available to me, so I'm not sure if my bank would do that or not. I've always just known this can happen with traveling and plan for it.

Looking at the OP's address, I would assume that to be Australia. Being from another country outside of the U.S. (NCL's accounting office) any holds that are put on their account could be up to a month. Anything U.S. my bank will hold from 2 weeks to a month, depending on the amount, unless I get a supervisor to sign off on it.

As has been said there's no reason to be mad at NCL. They haven't done anything wrong. It sounds like you're (unfortunately) stuck in a pickle arising from different practices between two countries. It's common practice here for holds to be placed on debit cards - and perhaps that doesn't occur in Australia? I'm Canadian and I know there are more advantages to using debit cards there than here. For instance gas stations always out a $50 hold on a debit card here that will last for a few days. So say I went to 3 gas stations today and put $10 in my car - my bank would put $180 of my money aside! I can see how would be frustrating if you've never experienced it before.

That said I'm surprised you're traveling internationally on a debit card. Credit cards afford you much more protection and added services than debit cards. My advice is to call your bank ASAP and see if they're willing to release your funds. If not (but even if they do!) switch to a credit card for the rest of your trip and try not to dwell on your anger. I'm sure there's plenty of distraction available on your honeymoon :) But in any event NCL probably can't help you - it's standard business practice here and beyond their control.

FYI if you put your hotel in Vegas on your debit card they will out an extra hold on your account too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Canadian and I know there are more advantages to using debit cards there than here. For instance gas stations always out a $50 hold on a debit card here that will last for a few days.

It is actually NCL that does start the hold process, basically they ping your card to make sure that you have sufficient funds for the actual charges. But it is the bank that decides when and how long till they release the funds once the actual charge from that location goes through.

The problem with an out of country as the bank described it to me. Is that because it takes a while to go through all of the necessary locations before our bank processing center actually gets what they require to verify the purchase or something along that line. Because our banks are actually under the umbrella of the Bank of Canada, processing within in our own country is usually quick and painless and if there is a few pings that go over our set daily amount or over the amount of money in that account it could take up to 2 days to release, which most people wouldn't even notice.

For example: your bank gets an authorization hit on your card, that money is set in hold until that charge goes through. Then they get a 2nd hit (the actual charge), again that money is set aside. When the bank actually gets the required documents they see that there was only one actual charge and they can release the 2nd amount.

NCL hasn't done anything wrong here.

Coming off the Dawn on the 20th, we even found that pre-authorized holds were still on our credit card on the 24th though we had paid in full.

Credit card company said to call NCL. NCL said they would all come off on the following Wednesday, which they did.

The amounts were all strange - something like nine different charges in weird amounts like $2.66 to $100. They said they authorize this each day based on what you are spending on the ship. Never knew they did this as well with credit cards, thought it was only debit.

NCL hasn't done anything wrong here.

Coming off the Dawn on the 20th, we even found that pre-authorized holds were still on our credit card on the 24th though we had paid in full.

Credit card company said to call NCL. NCL said they would all come off on the following Wednesday, which they did.

The amounts were all strange - something like nine different charges in weird amounts like $2.66 to $100. They said they authorize this each day based on what you are spending on the ship. Never knew they did this as well with credit cards, thought it was only debit.

Most people don't notice this Linda because #1 a lot of times credit cards have a larger limit than a bank account, so most people wouldn't notice that their limit has just went down $2.66. #2 Credit cards are far faster to release the funds it seems once the actual charge goes through. #3 IMO I think that is probably because there are only really 3 major credit cards that are accepted almost anywhere, Visa, MC & AMEX. So to get a clearance it doesn't have too many locations to go through like from bank to bank's processing centers.

I don't know about online banking statements for a U.S. accounts. My bank account statement (using a debit card) actually has a spot on the side that says "on hold", my credit card doesn't have that, they just decrease my "balance available" to match what is on hold.

It is actually NCL that does start the hold process, basically they ping your card to make sure that you have sufficient funds for the actual charges. But it is the bank that decides when and how long till they release the funds

Yes I didn't mean to imply that NCL didn't start the process. Rather that it was a standard procedure and perhaps something that doesn't occur down under.

I just hope the OP has some fall back measures to enjoy the rest of his/her trip. Sure we can pile on here and say they should've known but it's a crappy lesson to learn, especially on one's honeymoon, but it's an even harsher lesson of they don't have a credit card or some such to fall back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great way to end our trip after finding out we have been charged twice

took the cruise with the Pride of America to the hawaian islands.

flying to Las Vegas the next day with no funds available and cannot contact them to fix the issue

went back to the cruise ship and they did nothing to assist and help me out.

overall very upset and will never cruise with them again.

great way to spoil our Honeymoon

:mad:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thats one of the problems with Debit cards...........also why I don't use them

Horror stories with Debit cards are posted here on a regular basis. Why do people not learn?

As to the person on the pier, there is so very little he can do. He may not be able to access your account. He surely can not access your bank account.

We always travel with at least two DIFFERENT credit cards. We would never travel without them.

OP - I'm sorry that you fell prey to the debit card practice. And, on your honeymoon to boot :(

I had this same scenario happen to a honeymoon couple at a hotel I worked at. They checked in for a week's stay. They went out to dinner the first night, tried to pay with their card, found they had no money left...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give your debit card when you check in at a cruise, hotel, car rental, etc. Your REAL money is placed in a hard hold, inaccessible to you for up to 30 days, depending on the institution. The hotel, cruise, whatever, will place a hold on an amount based on an algorithm for that business which can include actual daily rate, tax, resort fee and a pre-determined "incidentals" rate. Say you are staying one night at a resort hotel, paying $250 for the night. That hotel will put a hold on the money in your account tied to your debit card for $250 + 29.63 tax for the one night, $25 + 2.97 for the resort fee + $200 + 23.99 tax for anticipated incidentals. That would be just one night. Imagine if you there for a week, or on a cruise???

To keep from having this "surprise", you have two options: pay strictly in cash, no cards, or give a credit card when you check in. When you check out, go ahead and switch to your debit card for the actual payment. The hold on a credit card is different - it does not tie up hard cash, but is a request to see that you have enough credit line. You can usually call the CC company and ask for more credit line on a vacation, but you can't call your bank and ask for them to add more money to your checking account!

I originally had my credit card with them but the night before check-out we decided to pay for on board credit using our funds available so we knew how much we had left on our trip

i specifically told them can we use this card to pay and will there be any extra charges and they never said there was.

this is my first ever cruise and why on earth would they need to take out a extra $1200 when i fully paid for every purchase we made.

we wanted to pay by cash but on our way home for some reason the ships atm was out of service and was told on a number of occasions that it will be fixed and was not.

I actually did call my Bank back in Australia and they told me that NCL have to fax over a release statement, signed to the bank for them to re-instate our funds

I know hotels put hold on funds but it seems very strange for such a large amount to be taken out

overall i was happy with our cruise with NCL but this mishap should have been handled better on there behalf by warning us of this which they did not.

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate the advise

regards

steve/tash

I originally had my credit card with them but the night before check-out we decided to pay for on board credit using our funds available so we knew how much we had left on our trip

i specifically told them can we use this card to pay and will there be any extra charges and they never said there was.

this is my first ever cruise and why on earth would they need to take out a extra $1200 when i fully paid for every purchase we made.

we wanted to pay by cash but on our way home for some reason the ships atm was out of service and was told on a number of occasions that it will be fixed and was not.

I actually did call my Bank back in Australia and they told me that NCL have to fax over a release statement, signed to the bank for them to re-instate our funds

I know hotels put hold on funds but it seems very strange for such a large amount to be taken out

overall i was happy with our cruise with NCL but this mishap should have been handled better on there behalf by warning us of this which they did not.

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate the advise

regards

steve/tash

I'm sorry this put a damper on your honeymoon and I do hope that they are able to straighten it out for you in a timely manner.

I do think, though, that you need to be careful about what you're calling a charge. A charge and a hold aren't the same thing. You asked if there would be additional charges and they told you no. They were correct. You weren't charged anything extra. They didn't take out more than you paid. The additional amount is only a hold. Not the same thing. Yes, they probably should have mentioned that rather than assuming you knew about the hold policy.

As for them not having warned you, again, they probably should have mentioned that when you spoke to them on the ship but as has been posted in this thread already, NCL is pretty clear on their website and in their literature about what happens when you use your debit card and that they do not advise this. I'd consider that a warning.

NCL On their website recommends you use a CREDIT card not a debit card.

You took it upon yourself to use a debit card with little additional funds available in your bank account.

Every Cruiseline, Hotel, Rental car agency will PRE AUTHORIZE any type of card for an additional sum. Even some restaurants pre authorize more then the additional amount for a presumed tip amount.

Looks like the HOLDS on your actual funds are causing you grief, Not NCL.

Enjoy the vacation the best you can.

Archived