Victoria Disembarkation possibilities

oaktreerb

I have been on RT Seattle cruises which have a short stop in Victoria where the people who live in Victoria are allowed to end their cruise in Victoria rather than going on to Vancouver. Can US passengers who wish to spend a few days in Victoria also disembark officially in Victoria rather than going on to Seattle?

I'd be interested in hearing from any US citizens who have done this (if it's possible). If this is an option is it possible to choose a disembarkation time or do you have to get off the ship as soon as it arrives in port?

It's generally possible to get off a cruise early at a foreign port with prior permission from HAL. They will have to be sure that Customs & Immigration officials are available to process you, so it may not be possible to get off the ship very late in the evening.

Her is one thread on the subject with a lot of replies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1375067

The problem is that could be a violation of PVSA and the ship cannot approve that without penalty.

Our seven day, Seattle to Seattle, Oosterdam cruise had but one stop in Canada and that was Victoria. It was required to satisfy PVSA and if that is the same situation your cruise is, please be sure to verify with HAL their approval for you to leave the ship early. I would advise having them e-mail you that approval should it be granted. You will want it in writing when you verify with the Front Office when aboard. They will have to assure when Canadian Customs and Immigration Officials would be available to clear your entry.

The problem is that could be a violation of PVSA and the ship cannot approve that without penalty.
I don't think so. As I understand it, the PVSA is only concerned with people who embark at a US city and disembark at the same or a different US city. People get on in various US cities and get off in Vancouver all the time. Some do just an overnight from Seattle to Vancouver, so Seattle to AK ports to Victoria should not violate the PVSA..

We were going to get off 2 days early in Grand Cayman. There was no problem in doing that but we had to let Hal know about it ahead of time because of customs and immigration issues.

I would think you can do it but discuss it with Hal.

I thought one of the terms of closed loop was that all guests must get on and off at the starting point........ you must sail back to where you started to, in effect, no transporation was provided?

I thought one of the terms of closed loop was that all guests must get on and off at the starting point........ you must sail back to where you started to, in effect, no transporation was provided?

If you get off early it's no longer a closed loop. The key is that the cruise (for you) did not both start and end in a US city. The PVSA is not concerned with transportation from the US to CA.

What I thought was one of the terms in order for the cruise to be called closed loop is that ALL guests must start and stop in embarkation port. Loop around from starting point making ending point the same for ALL.

Apparently not. :shrug:

What I thought was one of the terms in order for the cruise to be called closed loop is that ALL guests must start and stop in embarkation port. Loop around from starting point making ending point the same for ALL.

If that were the case, you would not be able to do a b2b of roundtrip FLL followed by a Trans Atlantic or a repositioning cruise from FLL to SDiego or Seattle.

Any time our ship docks in Victoria as the last port of call we always arrange with HAL to disembark and it has never been a problem.

Our next cruise my DH is disembarking in Victoria and we will take the luggage home where I will pack another suitcase and return to the ship to sail to Seattle where I will make my way to Seatac and meet up with girlfriends for a week-end in Vegas :D

Rockfan2

Any time our ship docks in Victoria as the last port of call we always arrange with HAL to disembark and it has never been a problem.

Our next cruise my DH is disembarking in Victoria and we will take the luggage home where I will pack another suitcase and return to the ship to sail to Seattle where I will make my way to Seatac and meet up with girlfriends for a week-end in Vegas :D

Rockfan2

Sounds like fun!!!!

Since you live in Victoria let me ask you another question. At the end of our extended visit in Victoria we will return to California. What is the best way to get back to Seattle for our return flight to CA. I'm planning on RT Seattle to Alaska, disembark in Victoria (instead of Seattle), a 7 day tour in Victoria, and then return to Seattle to fly home.

What are the transportation options for getting from Victoria back to Seattle?

As they stop there for only a short time, there are no immigration officers to come on board. If you were to get off in Victoria, you will have to carry your own luggage off.

I thought the CBSA officers did come onboard to clear the ship as it is arriving from the USA? However its been 5 years since I went there so it may be diferent now.

I see nothing that would be different for citizens of the USA vs Canada. If the Canadians can disembark there must be Canadian authorities at the pier so there is no reason you can't clear immigration and disembark.

My experience was on Prinsendam in Edinburgh so the details will vary but most of the principles will be the same. First of all, the ship did not know about my plans so I'd suggest checking with the front desk early in the cruise to assure they know your plans. You should expect a letter with detailed instructions the night before you arrive in Victoria.

I was required to meet with UK immigration soon after we docked but was allowed to remain on the ship afterwards as long as I wanted. I was self sufficient but was offered an opportunity to request help from the crew in getting my bags out. YMMV.

Since you are traveling from the US to Canada PVSA should not be a factor. Most of the people on the ship will be on a closed loop cruise; you will not. While your shipmates will probably be allowed to travel with a photo ID/Birth Certificate, you will not. You will need a passport or other WHTI compliant document to return from Victoria to the US.

I'm no expert on this but there is a high speed ferry from Victoria to Seattle which could be a good possibility:

http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/

Roy

Sounds like fun!!!!

Since you live in Victoria let me ask you another question. At the end of our extended visit in Victoria we will return to California. What is the best way to get back to Seattle for our return flight to CA. I'm planning on RT Seattle to Alaska, disembark in Victoria (instead of Seattle), a 7 day tour in Victoria, and then return to Seattle to fly home.

Not Rockfan2 but another local!

Your options by water would be the Clipper direct to Seattle( http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/), or the Coho which sails daily between Victoria and Port Angeles Washington(http://www.cohoferry.com/main/?Fares). You'd then have to coordinate with a shuttle bus to Seattle. If you are renting a car, you could also take the Sidney-Anacortes Ferry past the American Gulf Islands and drive the scenic route down Whidbey Island to Seattle ( very long way around, but lovely!).

By air - Alaska Airlines, or Harbour to Harbor (http://www.kenmoreair.com/)

Have a wonderful visit,:D

I'm no expert on this but there is a high speed ferry from Victoria to Seattle which could be a good possibility:

http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/

I agree. We did a round-trip on this a few years back. Fast and easy.

Here's the link to the Victoria>Seattle schedule and fares.

http://www.clippervacations.com/victoria/ferryschedule

If that were the case, you would not be able to do a b2b of roundtrip FLL followed by a Trans Atlantic or a repositioning cruise from FLL to SDiego or Seattle.

The transatlantic would end somewhere in Europe - not a US port. A repo cruise from FLL to SD or Seattle stops at one of the ABC island (usually Aruba) which is considerd a "distant foreign port", which allows the foreign flagged ship to take you from Florida to a US port on the west coast. The ABC islands are the only distant foreign ports in the Caribbean.

The transatlantic would end somewhere in Europe - not a US port. A repo cruise from FLL to SD or Seattle stops at one of the ABC island (usually Aruba) which is considerd a "distant foreign port", which allows the foreign flagged ship to take you from Florida to a US port on the west coast. The ABC islands are the only distant foreign ports in the Caribbean.

I believe Cartagena, Colombia also qualifies.

I don't see why it should be a problem. We were cruising Celebrity a few years back, round trip from Amsterdam. One of the ports on the itinerary was in Lithuania most of my family wanted to get off the ship in that port instead of returning to Amsterdam (we are Lithuanian, and they wanted to visit friends and family for a few days). They just had to inform the cruise line in advance, so that customs officials could be on board to check our passports and officially approve entry.

I believe Cartagena, Colombia also qualifies.
That was our "distant" port for our trans-Panama. I think I've also heard of Canal cruises stopping on the Pacific side of Colombia to satisfy the PVSA.

Your comment is understood, however sail7sea's comment was that she thought the entire passenger compliment had to start and end in the same port. On a b2b the passengers involved continue on so thereby don't exit the ship -- which under sail7sea's understanding would not be allowed

This is taken from HALs website on page 4 in the "know before you go" pdf

CHANGING YOUR ITINERARY

With very limited exceptions (such as some Panama Canal cruises), U.S. law prohibits persons from beginning their cruise in one U.S. port and ending it in a different U.S. port. For this reason, voyages originating and ending in the same U.S. port will not allow embarkation or disembarkation in an alternate U.S. port. Please note that this is a U.S. government regulation over which Holland America Line has no control.

]It doesn't say anything about disembarking early in a non-US port. You just can't board in one US port and disembark in a different US port. I would call HAL and ask.[/color]

Sounds like fun!!!!

Lots of options for getting to Seattle.

You can fly, harbour to harbour, and then take a shuttle to Seatac.

You can fly out of YYJ, Victoria International to Seatac.

We will be taking the Victoria Clipper which leaves from downtown Victoria to the Pier. There should be shuttles available to Seatac.

You could also rent a car and take the Coho to Port Angeles and then drive to Seatac or you could take the BC Ferries to the Mianland and then drive to Seatac but that is a long way around.

Also, the Anacortes ferry would take you thru the San Juan Islands. Very scenic but takes a couple of hours.

Enjoy our beautiful city and Island!

Rockfan2

You just can't board in one US port and disembark in a different US port. I would call HAL and ask.
You must call HAL to get permission first. As I said in post #2:
It's generally possible to get off a cruise early at a foreign port with prior permission from HAL.

Archived