What time is your flight home?

kayrob

Hi - just wondering what time is too early to book a return flight after the cruise. I will be returning to Philadelphia and am presently booked on a 1:15pm flight that is painfully long - doesn't get in until midnight. My travel agent said I shouldn't book anything before noon as you never know what could happen on disembarkation. The latest direct flight with US Air is at 11:15 a.m. Is this cutting it too close?

It would help if you told us what cruise port you're returning to, and what airport at that port.

However, an 11:15 am flight is do-able in the ports that I've cruised out of: Seattle, New Orleans, Miami - and tight but do-able from Port Canaveral to Orlando. I think it would be do-able in NY too, but other experts should comment on that.

It won't be leisurely, though - you'll want to make sure you're one of the first off the ship, carrying your own luggage if possible, and have your airport transportation all lined up and ready.

What is the date of your cruise? There are a lot of weekend events coming up in Seattle and there is a done of road (street) construction making to the airport an even bigger hassle than normal. All three sports teams (Mariners, Seahawks, and Sounders) play in the south end of downtown. If any one of them has a 1 P.M. start time, it does a number on traffic. A 1:15 P.M. makes more sense to me.

Hi - just wondering what time is too early to book a return flight after the cruise. I will be returning to Philadelphia and am presently booked on a 1:15pm flight that is painfully long - doesn't get in until midnight. My travel agent said I shouldn't book anything before noon as you never know what could happen on disembarkation. The latest direct flight with US Air is at 11:15 a.m. Is this cutting it too close?

Pretty sure you do not care what time anyone else's flight is (title).

Now that the port of call is clarified as Seattle, a 1:15 flight is going to be fine the vast majority of the time. Folks generally say they can arrive at airport in the 10-1am timeframe.

Avoid NCL shuttles.

Do a self dis embark.

Actually, I do care what time other peoples' flights are - I wanted to know if anyone booked a flight in the 11:15 range that I mentioned - that's why the question was titled as it was.

Assuming....assuming....all goes well with the ship's arrival and there are no unusual delays in exiting the ship, I've found Seattle to be by far the easiest and quickest "getting off the ship" and through customs port we've used. With no unusual traffic issues, the airport is about a 30 minute ride. So if you can be of the ship and in a cab by about 8:30, you should be at the airport and through security by 10, plenty of time for an 11:15. No where but Seattle, of the ports we've sailed from would I encourage this. However, the 1:15 flight would sure make me a lot less stressed for that last day ..wondering.

Actually, I do care what time other peoples' flights are - I wanted to know if anyone booked a flight in the 11:15 range that I mentioned - that's why the question was titled as it was.

There will be somebody that has booked a 10am flight. Would most people do it? No way.

There will also be lots of people that book 8pm flights because they are worried about catching 1pm flights.

As to your real concern about booking an 11:15 flight - you are in good shape for that. Could be tight, but if it made a big difference in travel time, I would take it. In our case, our flight was the next day. We stayed and enjoyed Seattle and got our pick of flights the following day, with no rush.

From Seattle, you have a good chance. BUT, I would only suggest, you be ready to go early from your ship and self disembark. Then get a cab direct to the airport. IF you are able bodied and "hardy", you can also take the lightrail, which I have done, but does require you to walk several blocks, some uphill, key is packing light. If you take a look at a map, you take the elevator a couple blocks from the ship to Pike Place Market, walk up Lenore, turn right, then turn left and walk all the way up Pine to the West Lake station- just past the MacDonalds, on the right.

........ IF you are able bodied and "hardy", you can also take the lightrail..........

I wouldn't suggest the light rail in this case. Even if you are lucky enough to catch a train right away, all the stops on the line will add time to the trip. Not a huge amount, but enough to add some more stress to the day.

I'd definitely take a cab, or better yet, hire a town car.

Archived