Internet!

Scottygirl1

With this new "affordable and unlimited" rate, I wonder what will happen to the bandwith/speed with potentially that many more people signed up and being online longer? Not to mention finding an open computer in the computer room (if you don't have your own).

Don't know the answer to this - just wondering if it will make any difference.

On the July 12 Baltic Cruise on Marina the speed was fine and the times I walked by I never saw very many people on the computers in the computer room. I don't think getting a machine was a problem.

Thanks sacarr & roberts2005,

Sounds like there is no problem with these new rates as far as the speed goes - good news!

That's because most people do not know about it. With an unlimited rate, I can just imagine everyone connected with their iphone or ipad or PC. I can see the speed go down to a crawl. As us smart Paul's know :) -- there is only a fixed amount of up/downlink bandwidth available.

That's because most people do not know about it. With an unlimited rate, I can just imagine everyone connected with their iphone or ipad or PC. I can see the speed go down to a crawl. As us smart Paul's know :) -- there is only a fixed amount of up/downlink bandwidth available.

That was my concern as the "word" gets out and everyone will be online as if they were at home. :D

Time will tell :)

That was my concern as the "word" gets out and everyone will be online as if they were at home. :D

Time will tell :)

Paul, it's called a vacation for a reason....;)

No way will I stay on the Internet any more than I did the last cruise. But, it will be SO worth it to have reliable service at a decent price.

Kudos to Oceania for offering a daily flat rate that is reasonable. :)

Just as I won't take the drink package because it doesn't make sense for us, I'm pretty sure I won't take the flat rate internet package for the same reason.

We are leaving in 2 weeks for the Black Sea cruise which is port-intensive. One sea day and the rest very involved with touring. So it doesn't make sense for me to spend $20+ a day for unlimited service when I'll maybe on the 'net for an hour. MAYBE. The package that works out to $.70/minute has always worked well for us and I think it will again.

It was better in the past because if I DID go over my minutes, the extra minutes were charged at the $.70 rate. That wasn't the case when we were on Marina last October -- extra minutes were charged at $.95. BUT since I only went over a few minutes it didn't much matter.

I go online to download my email from Eudora, then go off-line to read the mail and answer. Go back online to send the mail. I wait until I go home to send photos, etc. I checked what the flat rate would cost me for our Black Sea cruise and it was $307 ... quite a bit more than I pay for the $.70/minute package.

I'm just glad that O is giving us the option to continue to use the old system while they introduce a new one.

Now, if I were on a TA I might well take that package. But on a very port intensive cruise, nope. It doesn't pay. Not for ME.

Even when I go online for real internet purposes, I don't spend much time there.

I will bring my iPad along with my laptop to see if I prefer it ... but I don't think I will!

Mura

Mura - I agree about not spending all day on the internet but could I suggest that the 24 hour rate (on here is it $27.99) would be a great way to do photos and lots of catching up etc all in one go. No need to buy the daily package if on a port intensive cruise. You can have pay as you go and then buy a one off 24 hour rate!! I like that idea.

Mura - I agree about not spending all day on the internet but could I suggest that the 24 hour rate (on here is it $27.99) would be a great way to do photos and lots of catching up etc all in one go. No need to buy the daily package if on a port intensive cruise. You can have pay as you go and then buy a one off 24 hour rate!! I like that idea.

That's true, but in my case I bring along my laptop and download photos straight to it. And I don't email photos until I get home. It really does depend on what you want to do when, doesn't it?

When I'm on board the ship I use my laptop for my diary and rough photo editing (mainly labeling, not real editing) and these don't require online access. I go online pretty much only to check email. I might look for a particular article from the NY Times but that is a rare instance.

It HAS occurred to me to buy the unlimited access package towards the end of the cruise. That could be useful even for me who doesn't think that I would regularly want to use it.

Mura

Can you use more than one device if you sign up for the daily rate? For example, an iPad, a wifi phone and a computer. Is it just a matter of logging in to an account?

This was already answered in Post #34! :D (see above)

Archived