Do you make special requests in the MDR?

The only thing I ask for is the scallop risotto served as an entree instead of an appetizer. I tell them I would be happy with two appetizer plates, but they always prepare a large plate for me. It is such a large serving that I can't possibly finish it, and I wind up overeating so they don't think I am ungrateful for the special dish. Last time the waiter didn't think I had enough scallops on the plate, so later he produced a saucer full of extra scallops. And, yes, we always add extra to their tips.

Asked for anchovies with my Caesar salad on the first night and waiter brought me a dish with about a dozen anchovies on it. Automatically brought them for me every night after that.

Due to a medical condition, my choice of foods is rather limited. I always explain that the first night to our waiter (as well it is listed on my RCI profile). I always ask for special items that I can eat and have been very well cared for! Waiters have even suggested other food items that I might be able to have. :D

I really like the Strawberry Pavlova! Last time on the Mariner I told the head waiter how much I enjoyed it and he said in two days he'll make sure a special one is prepared just for me. The Pavlova came out still hot and gooey! He even made me two. It felt really special.

I remember on that cruise as well my dad enjoyed the Esgargot so he made it for my father twice during the cruise.

It was our first time doing it, although we didn't ask, it was offered and we accepted. I think I'll ask for the Pavlova again next time. :)

Some of the things we've asked for special include:

Shrimp cocktail every night

Creme Brulee

Molten chocolate cake every night

Cheese and fruit with crackers on the table when we arrive every night

On one cruise, a couple at our table was celebrating their anniversary and asked to have lobster again. Not only did our entire table get served lobster for a second time, but the waiter brough out lobster dinners for everyone in her section so they didn't feel left out!

One time when we knew the next nights menu wasn't good, we arranged with our headwaiter to have a special meal served family style for my group and they did a wonderful job. We had platters of grilled fish and shrimp, pasta, etc.

It's been my experience, that it never hurts to ask. Usually, if there's any way the crew can handle the request it's done. If they say no, then we're no worse off than where we started.

Yes, there's one night in the MDR where the entrees on the menu just don't appeal to me at all, but the appetizers do, so I order all appetizers. Never a problem :). I've also ordered an appetizer as an entree portion without a problem as well.

I've never really asked for something extra, but have made a comment about how its my favorite or I could eat it every day...and voila I do eat it everyday.

On the oasis when I got my savory bite, I made a big deal over how I had been waiting forever to finally get to eat it, and for the rest of the cruise we had a basket of bites on our table every night.

On another cruise I told the waiter that I loved the spinach salad that they served family style in the big bowl. Told him I could eat it every night, and every night there was a big bowl of spinach salad for just me and my DH.

Was talking to another waiter about dried mangos (not even sure how we got on the subject) The next night there was a package of dried mangos from her country on my plate.

DH mentioned to the head waiter that he was disappointed that they didnt have the tater tots at breakfast in the WJ the previous morning. The next day from out of now where the head waiter appeared with a huge plate of tater tots in the WJ while we were eating breakfast, smokin hot like he had just cooked them.

Creme Brulee

We learned the cheese and fruit plate suggestion from our table buddies on our first cruise last year. Our waiters could line the table with shrimp cocktail and I'd run through all of them...shrimp only, no cocktail sauce...yuck. :)

Just off the Freedom on the 7/15 cruise...and although I didn't ask for it, my waiter kept bringing a fresh fruit cup every night at dinner. I felt so bad, because I really don't like fruit (much) and I felt it was being wasted.

About the 4th night of the cruise, I saw a waiter go by with a tray of crudités and ranch dip. Well. I LOVE fresh veggies and dip, so I asked my waiter that night if I could get one, as well...telling him I much preferred the veggies to the fruit. Every night after that, a plate of crudités was brought to me - without me asking. They were yummy - and did not go to waste!

Must be a lot of excess shrimp...:)

It didn't occur to me to ask on our first cruise, but the waiter noticed how much our youngest child liked shrimp and brought her some every night. It was very thoughtful of him.

Same thing happened with my son. After the second night of ordering it, the shrimp showed up shortly after my son did without even having to ask for it.

The only thing I ask for is the scallop risotto served as an entree instead of an appetizer. I tell them I would be happy with two appetizer plates, but they always prepare a large plate for me. It is such a large serving that I can't possibly finish it, and I wind up overeating so they don't think I am ungrateful for the special dish. Last time the waiter didn't think I had enough scallops on the plate, so later he produced a saucer full of extra scallops. And, yes, we always add extra to their tips.

Great idea!

Asked for anchovies with my Caesar salad on the first night and waiter brought me a dish with about a dozen anchovies on it. Automatically brought them for me every night after that.

Too funny - anchovies - EVERY NITE:eek:

Creme Brulee

On one cruise, a couple at our table was celebrating their anniversary and asked to have lobster again. Not only did our entire table get served lobster for a second time, but the waiter brough out lobster dinners for everyone in her section so they didn't feel left out!

One time when we knew the next nights menu wasn't good, we arranged with our headwaiter to have a special meal served family style for my group and they did a wonderful job. We had platters of grilled fish and shrimp, pasta, etc.

It's been my experience, that it never hurts to ask. Usually, if there's any way the crew can handle the request it's done. If they say no, then we're no worse off than where we started.

love the cheese and cracker idea - will have to try that

...Molten chocolate cake every night....

Whoa! I don't recall ever seeing that on a RCCL ship.

I am going to have to give that a try!

My husband made a comment once to someone else at our table (not to our waiter) about how much he loves escargo but we rarely eat anywhere that serves it other than cruise ships. Apparently our waiter overheard him and brought escargo out every night.

Occasionally we've asked for an extra entree to share because we can't decide. I think RC serves chicken marsala on the same night as the tiger shrimp. I like both and it's hard to pick. Hubby and I each ordered the shrimp and asked for a marsala to split. No problem.

I've also not liked the side served with an entree and have requested something else instead - like broccoli instead of asparagus or brussel sprouts. It's usually not a problem to make a substitution.

Archived