Do you make special requests in the MDR?

This is Mrs Col70 - signed in on hubby's account!

As someone who's going on their first cruise in 10 days time (Independence out of Southampton on Med Treasures) this thread amazes me.

I hope this level of service is still the case when it's in Europe (where customer service isn't as reliable as it is America).

It seems like there is a menu for the MDR, but on the other hand you can just order what takes your fancy - this will be great as my youngest (aged 13) has quite a limited diet (due to a medical condition) and he likes the things he likes, good to know that when they know what it is they'll serve it every night if he wants.

You will be even further amazed when you realize how special they will make your son feel. Just let your travel agent or Royal Caribbean directly know of his special dietary needs and they will meet with you each night to go over the next night's menu.*

Have a WONDERFUL cruise. Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the terrific world of cruising.:)

Kathy

*I should clarify this. They did it this way for us on Carnival, and I suppose this is how RCCL would handle it. Whichever way they do it, it will be special for you.

I always order four fried chickens and a coke. My traveling companion always asks for toasted white bread....

Holy cow -- I just said this to my daughter today (2 whole chickens, though) and got the usual "no idea what you are talking about" stare. I couldn't let you get the same treatment.

OP:

Don't forget the children's menu! I learned this tip from CC many moons ago . . . I love the chips & dip and other goodies. Just ask for the menu and order stuff as appetizers, etc.

And ditto on the shrimp cocktail.

And TIPPING . . . yes we do :D

As someone who's going on their first cruise in 10 days time (Independence out of Southampton on Med Treasures) this thread amazes me.

I hope this level of service is still the case when it's in Europe (where customer service isn't as reliable as it is America).

It seems like there is a menu for the MDR, but on the other hand you can just order what takes your fancy - this will be great as my youngest (aged 13) has quite a limited diet (due to a medical condition) and he likes the things he likes, good to know that when they know what it is they'll serve it every night if he wants.

On the worrying side, I've lost nearly 5 stone over the last two years (only a stone away from goal weight) and I have a feeling I may be putting quite a bit of that weight back on again!

Which brings me to a question - portion sizes. Hubby and I went to New York in APril 2011 (loved it) but we got to the point where I used to have a starter (appetiser?) as my whole meal, or we'd share a main course (entree?) as the American portion sizes were HUGE compared to what we were used to eating. Do the Cruise liners serve big amercian sized portions too?

So what's everyone's favourite main course that you would recommend I "ask for as a special request"

There are LOTS of yummy things....just pace yourself...you don't have to finish everything...nor order every course..

as for your son...it's best to mention his food issues to the waiter and head waiter...that way perhaps they will bring you the next night's menu and you can choose accordingly...as long as they have notice getting something special is usually not a problem provided they have the item...for example, chicken fingers, plain pasta, hamburger, etc....

and well...i am a sucker for potato croquettes!!!

I keep reading where people ask for things in the MDR like shrimp cocktail or an extra XYA or other items not printed on that night's menu. Do you do this???

Shrimp Cocktail every night. Never a problem.

To OP, Yes! I requested Shrimp Cocktail on Explorer and was told only on certain nights,:mad: requested it on NCL, got it. :p:D

I always order four fried chickens and a coke. My traveling companion always asks for toasted white bread....

How much for the women?

HAHAHAHA excellent comment, you have exceptional taste.

Holy cow -- I just said this to my daughter today (2 whole chickens, though)

No, it's definitely 4. You might want to watch it again.

On the worrying side, I've lost nearly 5 stone over the last two years (only a stone away from goal weight) and I have a feeling I may be putting quite a bit of that weight back on again!

Which brings me to a question - portion sizes. Hubby and I went to New York in APril 2011 (loved it) but we got to the point where I used to have a starter (appetiser?) as my whole meal, or we'd share a main course (entree?) as the American portion sizes were HUGE compared to what we were used to eating. Do the Cruise liners serve big amercian sized portions too?/quote]

Congratulations on the weight loss. It is my opinion ;) that portions on the ship are "normal." I think the portion sizes are much closer to what we should have. You will just need to see what's what - and adjust accordingly.

My wife has IBS and is lactose intolerant, so her choices are very limited. On every cruise, we notify RCCL ahead of time, then talk to the maitre'd on the first night. After that, the head waiter usually stops by our table every night and takes my wife's order for the next night. He will usually bring the next night's menu and work with her to come up with a dairy-free alternative. When the next night's menu doesn't work, she can ask for almost anything and they will make sure she gets it.

They always take very good care of her and the special orders she makes.

We'll be doing it on our cruise, but due to the fact that we keep kosher. Generally what we'll be eating is salmon or another kosher fish and vegetables that are baked, double-wrapped in foil, as well as cold fruits/veggies and whatnot. We already let RCI know and will let the server and maitre d know when we get on board though...

Having worked in restaurants for many years, I can say that there is some annoyance to a special request, but most really are NOT a big deal -- as long as the chefs know ahead of time. It's much more annoying when a guest is presented with a plate and then goes "oh... I'm allergic to mushrooms" rather than letting someone know beforehand!

Steve.. i don't know the official RCCL name.. but it's the warm choc cake that comes on one of the formal nights.. it usually has a piece of almond brittle on top and much better if you get a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

That sounds familiar but I can't remember the name either.

My apologies . . . I was unclear . . . I said 2 to my daughter, but you are absolutely correct that Jake said 4 ........ and a coke.

You saved yourself a visit from the penguin!

I think the overall point is... RCI is pretty easy going as long as you are respectful, considerate, and know that you don't always get everything you ever wished for.

My last two cruises have been on Carnival. Whenever they have pasta entrees there is a note indicating the pasta dish may be ordered as an appetizer instead. Will Royal do this if asked? I love pasta but find some of the dishes a bit too rich for a large entree. An appetizer size is usually just perfect and I can then choose something else yummy for my main course.

Archived