Tried to take advantage of Suite price drop

galliegirlie

We booked an SF suite on the Spirit for a Thanksgiving cruise to the Canary islands earlier this year during the AMX $500 obc deal. We also received $150 obc for latitudes. We used a cruise reward coupon, and final payment isn't until 9/1/12, so we have nothing spent out of pocket yet. Recently, the prices for this particular cruise have dropped alot (they were showing balconies for this 9 day cruise under $900 :eek:). I noticed this week that the price for an SF suite had dropped $300 per person from what we first booked with. I told my mother to get ahold of our NCL CC to see if we could get our rate decreased to match current pricing before we sent final payment, or atleast maybe get some additional obc. But she came back saying it was a no go. The CC said that he would have to wipe out all of our current obc to rebook to the new lower rate price. And I already have plans for that $650. I thought that for sure they would be able to do something considering final payment was not made yet, but I guess not.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried to take advantage of a big price drop like this, but couldn't because of existing obc.

sometimes they do this (actual prices are made up for example).

a)One week you can get a suite for $4,100 with $600 OBC

b)another week you can get a suite for $3,900 with a $400 OBC

c)then they run a sale for a suite for $3,500

In all these examples, it is the same price. Just a different way to sell it.

Then as they get close, they might sell the last two suites for $3,200. That does mean ALL of the other suites can get that lower price. It means the last two can get a deal.

Sometimes they have one suite left and sell if for $4,400 with zero OBC. Why? Cause they can.

Lots of prices. Lots of deals.

Bottom line - options A, B and C are the exact same. You can not pick the good of A and add it to C.

That's the way it works....if you want the current price, you have to realize you can only keep the extras that are being currently offered ....can't keep the OBC and get the price break.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the wacky world of Cruise pricing :)

It's sort of like buying a new car with a trade in and dealer financing.....they can manipulate any or all of the different factors--down payment, monthly payments, trade-in amount, and sales price to make the sale. Then when you think it is final, they send you to the finance person who tries to get you to buy extended warranties, and aftermarket rust-proofing and other dealer added accessories. Quite an experience.:rolleyes:

My suite pricve went down and I called my TA and i had the option of and upgrade 9 I did not take it) or a 650 cruise creidt towaards my next cruise frm NCL.... took the credit.. I have acertifiacate now for 650.

I guess my TA worked magic...

I had alsomade my final payment this just happend last week

Yes, a topic along this line gets posted here every few weeks.

The OBC is just part of the total pricing for the current offer. You need to take the OBC into account when looking at what you think is a better price. When you go after a new offer, you give up everything that came with the previous offer and replace it with the new one.

I'm not upset or angry about the situation, I just honestly thought that since we had not final paid yet that there was an opportunity to lower the rate. Now I know how it works, so I won't get my hopes up next time. :o

I wasn't looking at as much OBC as you, but I had the same thing happen with an upcoming trip. Yes, they could rebook me, but I'd lose my OBC, so it wasn't worth it.

Two weeks later the lower prices was still being offered but now with an OBC and I made the switch. ;)

You just never know, so keep watching!

Last week during a "sale" I noticed the suite prices on our cruise had dropped for deluxe owners suite. It as a total of $409 for us to upgrade from our current SE so I asked if I could pay the difference, but only if I didn't lose my OBC. At first they tried to say it was pricing for that promotion but the TA got a supervisor and I paid the difference and got a better suite. They said I still had my OBC so all is good.

I've also noticed travel agents splitting the total cost of the cabin by number of occupants, versus showing the 1st and 2nd passenger pricing as expected. It makes it seem like the price has dropped, but the next page shows the total price is exactly the same as I had. Quite annoying.

You found the other trap in cruise line pricing - the goal is to sell cabins - not put as many people in a cabin - so instead of pricing add pax much cheaper they make the price the same as the first two - or higher.

They know what they want to do and how to do it :D

I got lucky with my suite re-booking. I booked 18 months out with a $400 OBC. A year later I saw everyone talking about the $500 Amex OBC and I looked at the price of the suite and noticed the price dropped $300pp. I called to re-book and the guy said I couldn't I would lose the OBC. I told him i wanted to cancel and totally re-book and he said I could not do that. I told him I bet you I can go on the internet right now and book this without a problem. So I did. I ended up booking the cabin next to my original one. When I called back to cancel the first booking the NCL agent said the first guy should have done this for me.

I think there is a certain time period in which you have to book to get the AMEX OBC. i think I had just hit that window within days.

I wasn't looking at as much OBC as you, but I had the same thing happen with an upcoming trip. Yes, they could rebook me, but I'd lose my OBC, so it wasn't worth it.

Two weeks later the lower prices was still being offered but now with an OBC and I made the switch. ;)

You just never know, so keep watching!

Sounds like a good plan. If the suite price stays as it currently is, and I can find a sale perk that includes at least $150+ obc, I'll cancel and rebook.

Archived