The "other" side of Cozumel?

nlktx49

I've been to Cozumel three times, and have mostly stayed around the port. I've read here that the less inhabitated side of Cozumel - the East side? - has some beautiful scenery and I'd like to see it. What's the best way to do this? I'd be scared to rent a car there, so that's out. Not a big drinker, but the Cozumel Bar Hop bus sounds kind of fun. Recommendations?

We have done the bar hop twice (and hope to go again in November) and loved it! We are not big drinkers either, but we enjoyed the included shots. ;)

We have also hired a taxi driver at the pier to take us around to that side of the island (set price for 3 to 4 hours or so) and that worked well too, but the bar hop is more fun! If you go this route, you might want to check out the "hire a driver for a day" thread info. When we did this, we also stopped at the San Gervasio ruins for a while. Another nice stop is the lighthouse at Punta Sur, which we visited on a ship's excursion on another visit to Cozumel. We may have to go this route again in November if the bar hop doesn't get the min to make the tour.

We have done the bar hop twice (and hope to go again in November) and loved it! We are not big drinkers either, but we enjoyed the included shots. ;)

We have also hired a taxi driver at the pier to take us around to that side of the island (set price for 3 to 4 hours or so) and that worked well too, but the bar hop is more fun! If you go this route, you might want to check out the "hire a driver for a day" thread info. When we did this, we also stopped at the San Gervasio ruins for a while. Another nice stop is the lighthouse at Punta Sur, which we visited on a ship's excursion on another visit to Cozumel. We may have to go this route again in November if the bar hop doesn't get the min to make the tour.

Did you pre-arrange your driver or are you saying there are drivers waiting trying to sell their "tour" at the pier?

We did not pre-arrange a driver for the day - we had tried to arrange that before we left but couldn't get it done - so we just asked at the taxi stand if that type of thing could be arranged there and got it set up. I think we paid $80 for about 4 hours (this was in November 2007). The driver spoke and understood English so we were fortunate with that. We pretty much knew what we wanted to try to see. I definitely would suggest getting something set up beforehand if you can, but don't give up if you can't. I do believe the taxi price list shows options for tours to San Gervasio, to Punta Sur, and of the island, also, and there are people trying to get tour groups together too when you enter the port areas.

Thanks.....glad to see we will have many options if we don't get something set up before arriving. We are also thinking about the bar hop as well. My only concern with that is feeling like we don't have enough time at a certain spot if we really really like it since we're on a schedule. Did you feel that way? I know it gets rave reviews.

last year my husband and i and another couple hired a driver to tour the "other" side of the island. it was wonderful. his name was gerry and he gave us info about everything while we toured. he brings an ice chest and the first stop is at the convenience store for drinks and snacks. there is a list of places of interest on their website to choose from or wherever you want to go. we had him drop us off at mr. sanchos beach after the tour where we met up with friends and took a taxi back to the ship after spending a couple of hours there. a wonderful day!! good lucK!

We are also thinking about the bar hop as well. My only concern with that is feeling like we don't have enough time at a certain spot if we really really like it since we're on a schedule. Did you feel that way?

Kinda like the way you feel when they make you leave the ship at the end of the cruise, lol! I understand your concern - it would be great to spend more time at each stop, but you know the drill so to speak from the getgo and then the next stop is great too (and there is another shot waiting for you :p), so you are glad you are there, until you have to leave, and so on, and so on. The hop is a great way to see the "other" side, especially for your first time - great way to find out which stop you like the best so you can make it your destination the next time you visit Cozumel, though I don't think I could pick just one! We have been to Cozumel nine times and I can't wait to go again!

last year my husband and i and another couple hired a driver to tour the "other" side of the island. it was wonderful. his name was gerry and he gave us info about everything while we toured. he brings an ice chest and the first stop is at the convenience store for drinks and snacks. there is a list of places of interest on their website to choose from or wherever you want to go. we had him drop us off at mr. sanchos beach after the tour where we met up with friends and took a taxi back to the ship after spending a couple of hours there. a wonderful day!! good lucK!

Yes, Gerry comes highly recommended on these boards. He was the driver we tried to hire back in 2007, but he was already booked that day and we couldn't find someone else before we left.

The windward side is very unihabited, and many many beaches with no one there, waves are bigger so swimming is only for experienced. Several small bars and each one is worth a stop and a drink. Driving is not that hard on cozumel, almost impossible to get lost, only one road on windward side.

I've been to Cozumel three times, and have mostly stayed around the port. I've read here that the less inhabitated side of Cozumel - the East side? - has some beautiful scenery and I'd like to see it. What's the best way to do this? I'd be scared to rent a car there, so that's out. Not a big drinker, but the Cozumel Bar Hop bus sounds kind of fun. Recommendations?

Cozumel turned out to be one of my favorite stops.

We hired the private driver. Alberto was ours for the afternoon.

He was waiting for us at the pier, we got in his taxi, pulled out a map, told us all about the island, made suggestions of where to go, what to do.

Having done a lot of research on CC, I knew what we wanted to do, get to the East side, let's hit a couple bars/restaurants, take pictures, and finish the last stop at a beach.

We had a blast.

If you want a preview to what lies ahead for you, I have many pictures of our Cozumel day in the Oasis review linked in my signature.

Cozumel turned out to be one of my favorite stops.

We hired the private driver. Alberto was ours for the afternoon.

He was waiting for us at the pier, we got in his taxi, pulled out a map, told us all about the island, made suggestions of where to go, what to do.

Having done a lot of research on CC, I knew what we wanted to do, get to the East side, let's hit a couple bars/restaurants, take pictures, and finish the last stop at a beach.

We had a blast.

If you want a preview to what lies ahead for you, I have many pictures of our Cozumel day in the Oasis review linked in my signature.

We are doing this tour next week. How far was it from the East Side to Mr. Sanchos? My DH would also like to end up there.

Thanks!!

We are doing this tour next week. How far was it from the East Side to Mr. Sanchos? My DH would also like to end up there.

Thanks!!

Picture a clock. The ship docks on the West at 9:00 O'Clock. You go clockwise, heading north a bit, then head east. I believe it is about 9 or 10 miles to get to the East.

When you get to the east coast you are about 1:00 O'clock. From there you do the bars and restaurants to southern tip at 6 O'clock. The beaches, for the most part will be from about 7:00 O'clock to 8 O'clock on the west side, so you kind of finish up at Mr. Sanchos, when done there, hop in the cab, and back to the ship. So, you have done a complete circle of the island.

We started our tour at about 1 in the afternoon, as we did the America's Cup Yacht race in the morning. By the time we got to Mr. Santos it was about 4, pretty much empty

Thanks.....glad to see we will have many options if we don't get something set up before arriving. We are also thinking about the bar hop as well. My only concern with that is feeling like we don't have enough time at a certain spot if we really really like it since we're on a schedule. Did you feel that way? I know it gets rave reviews.

I thought we stayed a little long at each place and was ready to go on. I'm from Florida so beaches I've seen. Some of the midwesterners wanted to stay and stay.

It's a really good time. One bar has a cockatoo, a few dogs, a peacock and other animals. It's on a small cliff and it's really a pretty site.

No electricity over there so all cash.

When we went to Cozumel the 1st time, we didn't book anything in advance. We took one of the guys up on his offer at the port for $25 a person for an island tour. We had a full island tour along with 3 hrs at Paradise Beach. It was wonderful!!!

I really wanted to go with the Bar Hop but there aren't enough people for our dates so we have hired a driver for the day. We will be with Cantaro on Saturday the 18th so I will let you know how it goes and post a review when I get back.

I really wanted to go with the Bar Hop but there aren't enough people for our dates so we have hired a driver for the day. We will be with Cantaro on Saturday the 18th so I will let you know how it goes and post a review when I get back.

Do your research, put together an agenda of what you want to do, and have a blast.

Yes, Gerry comes highly recommended on these boards. He was the driver we tried to hire back in 2007, but he was already booked that day and we couldn't find someone else before we left.

How does one get I touch with "Gerry"?

• 2 weeks later...

COZUMEL HIGHLIGHTS ISLAND TOUR Island Marketing dot com

$30 US per Adult

El Cedral - Our first stop will take you to the oldest settlement in Cozumel known as El Cedral. This is a neat stop for local shopping and a taste of Cozumel's colorful history. Approx 30 mins

Tequila Farm - Enjoy a stop at Cozumel's Tequila Farm and get a real "taste" for Mexico's most popular national beverage. Approx 40 mins

Beaches and Bars - No Island Tour would be complete without Cozumel's breathtaking Eastern coast and a stop at one of the islands most popular beach bars. Approx 40mins

City Tour of Cozumel - Your guide will take you on a city tour as well as show you some of the finest shopping areas in Cozumel where you will find local crafts, souvenirs and special gifts. approx 30mins

We can't get away from the fake Cozumel fast enough, shops and chain bars...ughhh

We hired a cab, negotiated a price and had hime take us to a local cheap food vender for a lunch "to go" ( preferred street vender). Then to a store to buy some beer to go in my collapsible cooler. We then get dropped off on the "other side" and we wander the beach for day, getting picked up at a predetermined spot or where we got dropped off. We have done this both times we were in Cozumel. My 7 year old daughter looks for shells, rocks and anything floating ashore. We picnic and relax crawling over the wild stone formations. Lunch, beer and driver for 3 costs under 60 bucks.

askimdog, is there are particular spot where you get dropped off? Have you every visited any of the restaurants/stops on the east side or is that just not your thing? Just interested in your opinion.

PS: I used to live in Duluth, so say hey to the North Shore for me. :D

Have you ever had the driver not return to pick you up , or do you pay him when you are returned to the ship ? We have been to Coz many times , but never to the east side, and really want to go there. We have seen all the other stuff so much, it is getting a little old. Thanks for any info..:)

No particular spot, we just drove with the taxi dude and saw some cool rock formations and said "here looks good". Then told him we would meet him back here in 3 or 4 hours.

Archived