Just back from Bermuda today...

tcdtcd

...not on a cruise however. I was there on business this time (5th time in BDA), staying at the Southampton Princess.

I wanted to underscore the comments in other posts below regarding the danger of renting sccoters there. On the way to the airport this morning, I saw a man being treated roadside (very serious injuries) while being put in an ambulance. He was a local no less. The bad mix of narrow, curvy roads with few shoulders, the poor driving skills of the locals, the tourists on scooters, British (left-side) driving patterns, lead to a deceptively dangerous situation (which is kept very hush-hush there). Don't rent a scooter...take the bus or a taxi.

My opinion of BDA for what its worth: Nice to visit/see once. Civilized, British flair. Nice to see the pastel homes and white roofs against the blue sea. Not alot to do. Restaurants (ick!), sightseeing (very little to see/do) leave alot to be desired. OK for a day or two on a cruise. Iffy, subtropical weather - much like N Carolina. Diving/snorkeling poor relative to the Caribbean. Hotels (even the 'best' ones) are horrible and overpriced.They're depressing and musty. Its like a resort left behind in the 1950s. No nightlife to speak of. Big dept stores are closing. They want tourists, but yet they dont want too many. No life/energy in the streets. Not exotic. Old. Depressing. Boring.

My bottom line: Want British? Go to England. Want tropical? Go to the Caribbean. This island tries to be both and comes up short on both. If you're on the east coast and only 2 hrs away by plane, its ok for a long weekend -- once. If you're from the midwest or further west, don't bother. Hawaii, Grand Cayman, Turks/Caicos, Cozumel, and nearly every other Caribbean island I've visited blows away this dusty old British grandma of a place. Best thing to say: CONVENIENT - closest island to the east coast.

TCD: That must have been some trip to feel the need to blast Bermuda immediately upon your return.

I agree with you re the scooters, but after visiting twice (for 4 days each time) I look forward to returning, preferably to stay in a rental home next time, in order to have a longer stay. I really enjoy Bermuda - have been to England and Caribbean resorts several times, and am not looking for a substitute for either, however, I do like the combination of features that Bermuda offers.

We have cruised to Bermuda 4x & are taking our 5th in Sept. Bermuda is a very lovely country with fabulous beaches. I would go every year if I could. I won't rent a scooter because a friend had a serious accident on one, requiring surgery to remove coral from her knee. That's the only negative I have. The people are wonderful. I don't care about the restaurants or hotels because I am on a cruise. A friend stayed on the Island & had nothing but good things to say about both. Sounds like someone took their cranky pills.

It would be so nice if people could post their opinion without being put down for it. It seems as though people don't want to hear anything except what their own opinion is. If everyone was the same, this would be a boring world, and as such, we don't all like the same things or the same places. I wouldn't say this poster is "cranky", he just doesn't care for Bermuda. I'm sure there are many places I wouldn't care for that others love, doesn't make it a bad thing.

I for one am looking forward to my Bermuda cruise and imagine I'll have a great time, but this poster is entitled to his opinion.

I for one am looking forward to my Bermuda cruise and imagine I'll have a great time, but this poster is entitled to his opinion.

I agree that people are entitled to their opinions...but when someone describes a place as "old, depressing, boring and a dusty old grandma of a place" I think that they probably know that it will stir things up.

The last 3 cruises I took to Bermuda were on Princess. So, I am a fan too.

It is my opinion that people should be uplifting on these boards. There are enough negative things in life. After all, a vacation is a wonderful thing. Why spoil someone elses trip planning with your negativity.

The weather was unseasonably cold last week so that may have played a role as well. I left for Washington last Tuesday and it was definately warmer there than in Bermuda! Even the locals couldn't believe how chilly it was for early-May.

(It's sunny and gorgeous right now though. :) )

I think the guy was just trying to get a reaction out of people and he obviously succeeded. If those are his honest opinions he has a right to say it. If I have a negative experience on a vacation am I not suppose to post it because I may be sounding too negative? I'm not offended by anything he said. I love Bermuda and regardless of what anyone else says my opinion certainly won't change.

I don't know how anyone could not like Bermuda -- it's "old" British look and feel is what makes it so quaint.

We've been there at least 6 times and love it more each time we go. Have to admit though, I've never flown there or stayed in a local hotel, or experienced the local dining. We've always gone there on a cruise, so we have a wonderful floating hotel, great food, and lots of nightlife on board. We've only gone to some of the local pubs - which I find are quaint as well. If you want tropical feel, you should go in the summer months - nice and hot and lots of humidity!! We usually go in mid-September - still hot and humid with wonderfully warm clear water. Anyway, I love Bermuda and we're headed there again in September -- to each his own!!!

Let's be honest--- Bermuda is not San Juan !!! And while there are a lot of people -- including people in Bermuda -- who would like to "pick up the beat" a little,. IMO Bermuda does have the property or other infrastructure to support something like glitzy nightclubs and gambling -- I think in an honest minute most of the people who "count" want it to stay exactly like it is -- a paradise that's kinda boring, expensive and resistant to change.

This from a guy who has been there four times -- i.e. all things don't have to change. So, I go to San Juan for the excitement and action & Bermuda for subdued beauty.

Bill

As the OP, I really didn't intend to stir up a hornet's nest! Just wanted to add to the scooter conversation as I had seen a bad accident that morning. I should have left out my opinion on Bermuda as a whole (lol!).

I thought I had been balanced in mentioning the positives as well -- it is very civilized, little or no poverty, reasonably well-organized, beautiful pastel colored homes, etc.

My comments (which I'll try to be more succinct about below) came from the perspective of one who's been there 5 times by air and stayed in hotels (4-7 days each time), but never on a cruise. We live in Chicago, which means a minimum of 6+ hours air w/connection time (except in the summer when UA offers one 3.5 hr nonstop a week each way). By comparison, we can be in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Turks/Caicos, Bahamas, or Jamaica in 3.5 hrs or less, much of Eastern and Southern Caribbean in 3.5 - 5 hrs, and the Mexican Pacific Coast in 4-6 hrs.

Here's what I was trying to say:

1. If we lived in/near one of the east coast gateways (2 hrs away), it would be a nice place to go for a long weekend during certain times of year (May, Oct).

2. Being equidistant or 1-2 hrs more to other Caribbean/Pacific destinations, Bermuda would not be among my top choices due to the following reasons: quality/quantity/variety of dining, quality/quantity of hotels, island ambience, quality/quantity of snorkeling/diving (Atlantic vs Caribbean - visibility, reefs, water temp, sea life), and things to see/do. Yes, some of the beaches are pretty, but what good are they if the water is too cold to swim in? I'll take Seven Mile beach in a heartbeat.

Having said that, its a pretty and charming place, and perhaps a cruise experience there would be a different one. But for a land-based beach/water vacation, we won't be back.

As the OP, I really didn't intend to stir up a hornet's nest! Just wanted to add to the scooter conversation as I had seen a bad accident that morning. I should have left out my opinion on Bermuda as a whole (lol!).

I thought I had been balanced in mentioning the positives as well -- it is very civilized, little or no poverty, reasonably well-organized, beautiful pastel colored homes, etc.

My comments (which I'll try to be more succinct about below) came from the perspective of one who's been there 5 times by air and stayed in hotels (4-7 days each time), but never on a cruise. We live in Chicago, which means a minimum of 6+ hours air w/connection time (except in the summer when UA offers one 3.5 hr nonstop a week each way). By comparison, we can be in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Turks/Caicos, Bahamas, or Jamaica in 3.5 hrs or less, much of Eastern and Southern Caribbean in 3.5 - 5 hrs, and the Mexican Pacific Coast in 4-6 hrs.

Here's what I was trying to say:

1. If we lived in/near one of the east coast gateways (2 hrs away), it would be a nice place to go for a long weekend during certain times of year (May, Oct).

2. Being equidistant or 1-2 hrs more to other Caribbean/Pacific destinations, Bermuda would not be among my top choices due to the following reasons: quality/quantity/variety of dining, quality/quantity of hotels, island ambience, quality/quantity of snorkeling/diving (Atlantic vs Caribbean - visibility, reefs, water temp, sea life), and things to see/do. Yes, some of the beaches are pretty, but what good are they if the water is too cold to swim in? I'll take Seven Mile beach in a heartbeat.

Having said that, its a pretty and charming place, and perhaps a cruise experience there would be a different one. But for a land-based beach/water vacation, we won't be back.

After reading this thread many times and the original post again, I did not find anything that was offensive, in fact he mentioned both good and bad, which is his opinion. I tend to agree with him in some of the aspects as well, not all, but that is my opinion as well.

If you noticed one of my earlier posting on this thread mentioned sidewalks, or the lack of them. I personally think it is a safety issue, along with the mopeds. Coming from many of the beaches, we took the bus (which in my opinion is the best VALUE, I would rather take a taxi, but it costs too much) and getting to the bus stops, we had to constantly walk along the side of the road, inches from cars. A lot of people mention how dangerous it is to rent and use a moped because everyone drives on the left side of the street, I think it's just as dangerous to CROSS the street, I am always looking to the right first then the left and always have the thought "What is that crazy guy doing driving on the wrong side of the street" until it hits me that I am not in the good old USA.

Just my .02 cents

art

" If we lived in/near one of the east coast gateways (2 hrs away), it would be a nice place to go for a long weekend during certain times of year (May, Oct)."

Trust me on this, BDA is not a great place for a weekend get-a -way--- check out the fares from, for example, Newark. Philly, etc -- pricey to say the least -- coupled with the high cost of hotels and food, this explains why so many people cruise to BDA instead of flying

Bill

We will be visiting Bermuda for the 6th time this June and I know what you mean when you say it's not the most exciting or the greatest for snorkeling.

There are other places to go if you want the nightlife, but if you are in need of a true restful vacation, visit this wonderful island and its wonderful people.

We have cruised twice and stayed on the island 3 times. I loved staying in the Hamilton Princess (Fairmont) the most. It had the feel of old Bermuda and we had a wonderful patio overlooking the harbor.

It might not be the most exciting, but I assure you it's one of the most gratifying places we have been.

tc,

We were told when we went to Bermuda in October 2003 that at least one person per week dies on scooters. Someone on these message boards disagreed. All I know is we must count ourselves lucky that all the scooters were rented out and we couldn't get one. We are living today and that means getting back to Bermuda someday. As far as we are concerned, as long as we can play golf in Bermuda, we will go!!! I doubt that we'd try to rent a scooter next time too.

It going to be hot and the water will be warm. We're coming from Maine and in Maine the ocean water is freezing even in August.

My husband is planning to dive, is there any good diving there?

My entire extended family is going, my sisters and brothers plus my three kids who are 13, 15, 19. We read that the bars are open until 2PM.

What about my kids, any suggestions for them?

after 17 years of marriage and no honeymoon (vacation w/o kids) i am surprising my husband with a long weekend in bermuda for his 60th birthday. we have never been there and are staying at "elbow beach". has anyone ver been there? and what do you think the weather will be like at the end of august? thanks

The total number of road fatalities last year in Bermuda was 7. So far this year there have been 8..its been a bad year.

www.theroyalgazette.com

Of those eight I think only one was a tourist and I think all of the accidents involved speed, alcohol, or both. Two tourists died last summer in accidents possibly related to lack of experience with scooters.

More unsettling is the 475 non-fatal accidents, which averages 3-4 a day. While your chances of being killed on a scooter are slim being injured will really sour your vacation. :(

I've never stayed at Elbow Beach but have been there many times for dinner or to play tennis. It is a large hotel/resort complex located on the South Shore with its own private beach. Since it's about mid-way between Hamilton and Horseshoe Bay it is a pretty convenient location for getting around.

I think it's a really nice place, but like all hotels in Bermuda it is $$$. Hopefully you'll have a wonderful time as well, generally complaints about hotels in Bermuda are not that they weren't nice places, just that some people feel they're not nice enough for the money you pay.

August will be hot, humid, and hot. Water will also be warm. Go to www.weather.bm and click on 'climate data' for weather information from previous years.

Archived