Just back from Bermuda today...

tcdtcd

We've been to Bermuda 14-15 times, once, the first time we flew and stayed a week, every other time has been by cruise. Every 2-3 years we do it. For us, Bermuda is the ONLY island we enjoy going to every couple of years and spending 3-4 days there. Particularly for folks in our neck of the woods it is the most hassle free cruise we could take. A 20 minute ride over to the pier, get on, a day at sea, four days there, no rushing around to see and do it all, walk on/off the ship whenever you please, 24/7, a day at sea back, and a 20 minute ride home. Ya' cant' beat it. Bermuda is the cleanest, prettiest island we've ever been to, and it offers enough alternative things to see and do other than just "going to the beach for the day". If you are a golfer, it is THE best island to go to as well!

It would be so nice if people could post their opinion without being put down for it. It seems as though people don't want to hear anything except what their own opinion is. If everyone was the same, this would be a boring world, and as such, we don't all like the same things or the same places. I wouldn't say this poster is "cranky", he just doesn't care for Bermuda. I'm sure there are many places I wouldn't care for that others love, doesn't make it a bad thing.

I for one am looking forward to my Bermuda cruise and imagine I'll have a great time, but this poster is entitled to his opinion.

Hi Bingo3,

Well said, I agree with you 100%:)

Bogi

Everyone seems to think scooters are dangerous. People are dangerous. We have been to Bermuda 5 times and are leaving for a cruise to Bermuda on Sat. I have rented a "moped" each time we have been there and seen numerous wrecks.. but by people who couldn't drive a two wheeled vehicle on a farm road, and they're trying to drive on the left side of the street? The round a bouts really confuse the blue jean packing tourists too. The first trips we didn't even have to wear helmets. People get hurt surfing and we saw a woman badly stung by a jellyfish. Accidents happen. A beautiful, classy place to spend some time relaxing without a lot of loud rock and roll, children and all you can drink Carribean party boats with their hands out for tips and selling tee shirts.

While many of the deaths from moped/scooter accidents have not been tourists -- the stats don't tell you of the number who spent half or a whole day in the hospital after a brush with the coral rocks on the side of the road. We lived in Bermuda and my parents met more tourist friends by way of coming to the aid of tourists who wiped out on mopeds in front of our house. From what I understand the rock in Bermuda is all coral so if you get a good scrape you are required to get a tetnus (sp???). Not sure if this is accurate but I did see enough scrapes to make me nervous. This was over 30 year agos and traffic has become much worse in Bermuda. I know the two times I have returned I have been shocked by the island traffic, speed, etc. You have to know how to ride a motorcyle -- know how to turn, etc.

• 1 month later...

Quoted by tcdtcd:

"No life/energy in the streets. Not exotic. Old. Depressing. Boring."

This must be why our NYC Billionaire Mayor has a home in Bermuda (as do Martha Stewart and Michael Douglas - his mother being from an old family).

Well, reading this message board on the good, bad and the old Bermuda makes me realize why my husband and I made a good selection to cruise to Bermuda this summer.

We don't like the night life, don't care for shopping, we're cruising on Celebrity ... so they'll tend to our food (something we hope is as good as many say it is) ... we do like natural beauty and simple charm, something it seems Bermuda possesses

So it seems this dusty Old Bag and her hubby have selected wisely ... thank you to all who have commented on Bermuda ... and yes, we will pass on the scooters!

Well, old bag, and I hate referring to you that way, I'm with you. I just LOVE BERMUDA!!!! :D We can't get enough of it -- this will be our 5th trip back to that wonderfully low-key, simply charming, quiet, beautiful island with minimal nightlife. It's the best place to get away from the constant noise and clammer of city life in the states!!! Anyone who finds Bermuda boring is definitely there for all the wrong reasons!!

We are sailing Celebrity's Zenith on Sept 24th and can't wait. I've heard the food is great! Though the ship is older and not as glamorous as the huge behemoths that sail today, she's one of the few that can still get into the tiny harbors of Bermuda, and gives us a 7 day cruise. A few years back, we sailed Horizon (also to BERMUDA). The food was FANTASTIC on that trip, so I'm optimistic that the same will be true of Zenith.

Sooooooo, you, me, and many hundreds of others have made the right choice!!! BERMUDA - here we come. Give me those quiet, boring beaches!! :D

BUT - DEFINITELY STAY OFF THOSE MOPEDS!!! :eek:

" If we lived in/near one of the east coast gateways (2 hrs away), it would be a nice place to go for a long weekend during certain times of year (May, Oct)."

Trust me on this, BDA is not a great place for a weekend get-a -way--- check out the fares from, for example, Newark. Philly, etc -- pricey to say the least -- coupled with the high cost of hotels and food, this explains why so many people cruise to BDA instead of flying

Bill

USA3000 is a low cost airline which flies from NWK to Bermuda roundtrip for $139.

But, I agree, cruising is the best way to go to beat the high cost of food and lodging. However, the only thing that I didn't like was that you have such a short time in port and so much time at sea. I want to go back because I feel I barely saw Bermuda. There are so many more beaches I want to explore... and.. believe it or not, I never saw a single Moongate!

Having been to most of the Carribean Islands, I must say that I liked Bermuda far better. There is so much poverty in the Carribean-- and I hated constantly getting hassled on the beach to buy coconut drinks, have my hair braided and buy beaded necklaces. I wanted to put a sign on my beach blanket: NO SOLICITING-- LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

I also was followed in Nassau by two drug dealers who had a hard time taking "no" for an answer. Scary!

And the Dominican Republic... UGH! I got sicker there than I have ever been in my life, even though I was so careful about the water. And, it was pretty creepy having guards armed with shotguns on the perimeter of our hotel! I would NEVER EVER go back there... ever!

I'll take Bermuda anyday!

If I don't have to cook or clean, I'll go anywhere! Every vacation is what YOU make of it and every destination has SOMETHING to offer.

We leave tomorrow for Bermuda (our first time there) and, I assure you, no matter what, I will come away enchanted and relaxed (and dreading the laundry that will need to be done when we return!)

We love Bermuda and will dock at Kings' Wharf on the Crown Princess next September.

I am also planning a surprise birthday trip to Bermuda in April/May of 2007 for DH with a 6-7 day stay at The Reefs.

If I find a 7-day Bermuda cruise on a newer ship with balcony cabins, perhaps we'll cruise instead.;)

after 17 years of marriage and no honeymoon (vacation w/o kids) i am surprising my husband with a long weekend in bermuda for his 60th birthday. we have never been there and are staying at "elbow beach". has anyone ver been there? and what do you think the weather will be like at the end of august? thanks

Congratulations, you couldn't pick a nicer hotel in Bermuda for your anniversary. We have stayed there several times and loved it. The beach is among the best in Bermuda with excellent snorkeling on a reef just off the beach. The weather in August should be great. enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree about the snorkeling.. it was GREAT! Go to the snorkel park on the dockyard and bring some cornflakes to feed the fish. I've been to most of the islands in the Carribean, and found this spot to be the best.

Archived