Imagination or NCL's Sky

Lambface

Which should I book . . . celebrating 60th wedding anniversary for in-laws and traveling with 50 year olds and 10 year old. Which would be the better ship... we care most about cabins and formal dining? Thanks!

This is such a short cruise ... care more about quality...

I think the NCL Sky would be the best choice on a short cruise, given you enjoy the MSC cruise line ( as per your posting history).

We 've been on NCL Sun -sister ship to Sky. You won't be disappointed>

Mike

Hi Mike..thanks for the response. Do you know if the balcony cabins are nice? Does the ship feel "old?" We were on the Majesty of the Seas last year at the same time and while we really enjoyed the cruise, the boat felt quite worn ...service; however, was excellent and the main dining rooms were wonderful.

I actually would choose the Sky...not sure about the balcony size but Carnivals is smaller than other cruise lines, also the Sky I believe has been refurbished two years ago or less call NCL and ask. I would also go to the NCL board and post about how people like the food in the MDR also my thing is specialty restaurants they great so thats another thing you may want to consider as some Carnival ships not offer any not sure about the sky think they do.

. . . Which would be the better ship... we care most about cabins and formal dining? Thanks!

I've done each of these ships more than once.

From what you've described, I've vote Norwegian Sky.

I've done a balcony cabin on Sky, but not on Imagination.

If you can get past the really dumb design of the main theatre on Sky, you'll find that the entertainment offered between these two ships is Night/Day. On one ship you'll have a very nice production show on embarkation evening, and on the other one it's the passengers who become the show, with that age-old 'spoon on a string' routine.

No matter which you choose . . . Bon Voyage!! :)

And if you choose Sky, I encourage you to spend some time at the Great Outdoor Cafe aft on Deck 11.

I actually would choose the Sky...not sure about the balcony size but Carnivals is smaller than other cruise lines, also the Sky I believe has been refurbished two years ago or less call NCL and ask. I would also go to the NCL board and post about how people like the food in the MDR also my thing is specialty restaurants they great so thats another thing you may want to consider as some Carnival ships not offer any not sure about the sky think they do.

Imagination is one of the Fantasy class ships that still doesn't have balconies, unless you're in a suite. So if it's a regular balcony the OP wants, the Sky is the best option there. But the cabins themselves are quite small on NCL.

The Sky was last refurbed in 2009. She's an older ship but she's actually the youngest of all the ships doing these short Bahamas cruises across the various lines.

Imagination has no steakhouse, but the Sky does have a few specialty restaurants. That's kind of NCL's thing, so of course she does ;) Sky has Le Bistro (french food), Cagney's (steak house), and Il Adagio (Italian).

OP, if you're still reading these threads, I gave my opinion on the NCL forum but I also agree with what another poster there suggested. If it's quality you're looking for and cost isn't a issue, get a suite on the Sky. Carnival can't touch the suite experience on NCL.

I have sailed on both. I have sailed on the imagination 4 times. I would choose the Imagination. It has been refurbished, and the cabins are a lot larger. I loved the Sky, but prefer the Imagination. I was looking into both for a quick weekend get a way, and chose the sky because of the price. It was $99 for an inside where as the Imagination was $299. I ended up booking a balcony on the Sky that weekend for $199.

We have been on both ships mentioned and may go to port Canaveral for our next quickie cruise. We really enjoyed Majesty from Miami though. But between the two mentioned we would do the sky. Imagination balconies were visible as we walked the decks. Not very private and only a handful available. Food choices were not great and neither was food. Music not a Caribbean feeling and was more geared for the party crowd. Staff was great:-) Sky was a step above in food, interior cabin smaaaalll, but we will go again.

Don't do a weekend cruise, there will be more party goers trying to cram a weeks worth of frolic in a few days.

Agree!!! We have left from port Canaveral and it didn't have the same crowd. :rolleyes: We need to try Tampa...think they have a weekend 4 night?

Archived