Booked with TA, Do We have any chance of upgrade/upsell?

Hi, We booked an aft crown loft with a travel agent. I have read on these boards of people getting calls from royal with a chance to upgrade. Since we did not book with royal, (wanted to but the price difference was so extreme that I had to go with TA), do you think that if they were offering upgrades, they might call me or did I lose out by not booking with royal?

Is there a better cabin than a crown loft? That seems to be a great cabin.

I've personally never been upgraded. I've booked with both a TA and direct in the past. I think it's a rare occurrence.

True, the cabin seems awesome, but it faces the back of the ship. There are some crown lofts that face the ocean and belive it or not, they are exactly the same size but cost about $1500 more because of their location.

Upgrades can happen with or without a travel agent. Best rule of thumb is to not count on them. If you do get one they will contact your agent who will in turn contact you. I used to be a travel agent for 10 years and it was a rare occurance when clients were upgraded and if they were it usually was Carnival and Princess that where generous with them. RCI and Celebrity gave our clients a few. Best advice is to book the category you are most comfortable with.

Just took a quick look at the deck plans of Allure/Oasis and a category CL Crown Loft is both located facing the back and the sides of the ship. You should be able to move around without incurring a higher fare since it is the same category. The only two categories above a Crown Loft (CL) is a Sky Loft (SL) or the Royal Loft (RL).

True, the cabin seems awesome, but it faces the back of the ship. There are some crown lofts that face the ocean and belive it or not, they are exactly the same size but cost about $1500 more because of their location.

Considering that the Crown loft suite is on par with an owners suite, there isn't a lot of room for you to move in for an upgrade. You will still have views of the ocean, you will just have to look over the Boardwalk to see them. You will also have a little less privacy because people can look up from the boardwalk to your balcony.

Upgrades can happen with or without a travel agent. Best rule of thumb is to not count on them. If you do get one they will contact your agent who will in turn contact you. I used to be a travel agent for 10 years and it was a rare occurance when clients were upgraded and if they were it usually was Carnival and Princess that where generous with them. RCI and Celebrity gave our clients a few. Best advice is to book the category you are most comfortable with.

Just took a quick look at the deck plans of Allure/Oasis and a category CL Crown Loft is both located facing the back and the sides of the ship. You should be able to move around without incurring a higher fare since it is the same category. The only two categories above a Crown Loft (CL) is a Sky Loft (SL) or the Royal Loft (RL).

The rear and and side facing CL are different categories and RCCL actually charges more for the side (ocean view) facing cabins. At least the numerous dates I've researched this has been the case.

I've been upgraded once and at the time I was booked directly with RCCL. I'm no TA, but RCCL makes more if a passenger books directly with them (TA Commission). So, I would think that passengers that book direct would get considered first for upgrades. I have no information to support this just going off what makes sense.

I posted in an earlier thread, but it got locked so I couldn't update it. I know you are referring to free upgrades (the upgrade fairy), but FWIW I have found out that if a higher cabin goes on sale, but is still more than what you paid, you are entitled to upgrade if you pay the difference. If you booked through a TA, they have to make the call to RC though. So keep an eye on those C&A emails.

I'm no TA, but RCCL makes more if a passenger books directly with them (TA Commission). So, I would think that passengers that book direct would get considered first for upgrades. I have no information to support this just going off what makes sense.

It may 'seem' to make sense, but your theory doesn't appear to have any real validity. Upgrades are not common in these days when the ships sail at or near capacity, but how you book doesn't seem to make any real difference when it comes to them deciding whom to offer an upgrade. I'm not even sure what criteria they use since sometimes upgrades are given to first time cruisers without being offered to veteran RCI cruisers.

The rear and and side facing CL are different categories and RCCL actually charges more for the side (ocean view) facing cabins. At least the numerous dates I've researched this has been the case.

I've been upgraded once and at the time I was booked directly with RCCL. I'm no TA, but RCCL makes more if a passenger books directly with them (TA Commission). So, I would think that passengers that book direct would get considered first for upgrades. I have no information to support this just going off what makes sense.

Oh I see now. RCI has re-categorized the Crown Loft Suite category. Currently there is only one category of Crown Loft Suite on the Allure and Oasis but according to RCI's site the deck plans change for 9/30/12 to 9/29/13 sailings. The new deck plans have two sets of Crown Loft Suites - one aft facing and one side facing as you have stated. To bad your cruise wasn't sooner.

You never know, RCI may now give incentives to direct bookings but remember when you make a direct booking over the phone you use one of RCI's personal vacation planners. It is my understanding that they also get a commission, I am sure it is less then a travel agents (travel agents make 10-15% commission of the cruise only fare). I am also sure the Personal planners also make a salary. I am sure RCI rather have direct bookings through there website. In actuality I tend to think upgrades are randomly given on sailings that are harder to fill. They figure they upgrade people to a higher category and run promos on the lower categories to increase bookings. But like I said don't count on them but if you get one its a bonus. I have been on 31 cruises and out of those I got two surprise upgrades. One from an inside to an obstructed view balcony on Carnival and the other was from a window room to an accessible balcony room on RCI actually.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked through a travel agent in August, 2010 for a July, 2011 sailing on the Rhapsody out of Seattle. At check-in, we learned that we had been upgraded from a balcony room to a junior suite.

Our travel agent told us that they do more business with RC than any other cruise line. So, they do see clients who have joined Crown & Anchor getting upgrades.

The funny thing was that our agent said she checked our reservation the day before our sailing, and we weren't showing as upgraded. So, the upgrade must have gone through that evening or very early that morning.

The odds of an upgrade are quite low for anyone. There seems to be little rhyme or reason for the way they are handed out.

We've never gotten an upgrade, either! We have known 1st timers who were upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony....

I think if you book a GTY booking, you probably have a better chance, but you can never count on getting something better than you paid for.

Archived